Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "someone has been in there, but why would you rebuild a peg-legger?"

Easy answer - LSR!!! Not sure why the 4.11 though.....

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Buick says "bring it, and pack a lunch because I'll get hungry chewing your scrawny tail"
      You wanna bring Buick by Iowa for a friendly visit with my neighbors???
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Buick isn't what one would traditionally consider to be a friendly dog. He did great at the Rally - what that means is no children were bitten or eaten this year. There were some growls and perhaps a soiled short in a couple kids who forgot that just because they look cute doesn't mean they are cute.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• still considering what to do about the rear.... if it were the 8.2 BOP - it wouldn't be a question, staying 100% Buick is cool to me. It is a 8.2 but it's the C-clip rather then the semi-float... 28 spline so it's plenty strong for a V6 turbo motor (as long as I refrain from slicks).... but then again, if I disk brake it I could have bought a 8.8 for the same dollars and redrilled.... I'm thinking repair it and hold out for a 12 bolt.... limited slips aren't that expensive - the only real downside is axles.... 28 spline ... hmmmm...

calculating speeds though.... 200r4 has a .67 overdrive but with a 25 inch tire it's 2600 rpm to go 70 mph.... yet still, with noise control, that could be advantageous because I could run a 2200 stall lockup converter.... heck with a good cooler I could run even higher...
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 27, 2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• We ran the 8.5 with 28 splines alot! Broke a few... Usually hits to the wheel.. Splines themselves probably slipped on a couple. .
            The kid might hog out the carrier with a die grinder to use Caddy 31 spline axles.. Caddy has 4 or 5 lengths of axles, depending on width f car and where the 3rd member is.. I think the shortest or next shortest fits your width.. IF you can even get the caddy side gears close in your housing..
            Thing about Caddy axles is they are pretty straight, not much by way of taper..

His 65 Skylark has a 65 El Camino 12 bolt in it.

Comment

• time to get some work done

and out

remove the bushings..

clean and get ready for paint

strip the yellow paint off

hmmm.... not all wagon springs are created equal

don't know what year these are for, but not this... and yes, I'll chop them down and reweld - these braces are pretty important

arms look good, though

Comment

• I had a thought. Is there a mount in the #5 & 6 position on the early A-bodies?

As in the "extra" mount that was added for the Buick GNX?

If not, surely it would benefit if one could be incorporated during a build? It acts more as a snubber with no clearance on the GNX, making the car feel much tighter. Perhaps there is room on Buinicorn to drill the same frame hole, and no body mods required?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• this just fell out of my truck

3.30 gear, open diff.... as cheap as the one I bought for my first blogged skylark

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                    I had a thought. Is there a mount in the #5 & 6 position on the early A-bodies?

As in the "extra" mount that was added for the Buick GNX?

If not, surely it would benefit if one could be incorporated during a build? It acts more as a snubber with no clearance on the GNX, making the car feel much tighter. Perhaps there is room on Buinicorn to drill the same frame hole, and no body mods required?

I don't see the point of that.... though I'm sure Kenne Bell has forgotten more then I'll ever know about A-bodies

Comment

this just fell out of my truck

3.30 gear, open diff.... as cheap as the one I bought for my first blogged skylark
                      So did it fall out of the cargo area of the Colorado?

So looking at that from here that's a 8.875 Chev.
                      Or maybe it's some BOP item that looks very much like the Chev 12 bolt.

My 65 Impala and all RHD full size cars sold in Australia came with 12 bolt and 4 links.
                      I like the 12 bolt more than the 9".
                      Last edited by 65RHDEER; June 28, 2019, 06:49 PM.
                      Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

So did it fall out of the cargo area of the Colorado?

So looking at that from here that's a 8.875 Chev.
                        Or maybe it's some BOP item that looks very much like the Chev 12 bolt.

My 65 Impala and all RHD full size cars sold in Australia came with 12 bolt and 4 links.
                        I like the 12 bolt more than the 9".
                        yep, 12 bolt... more slid out off the DECKED

Comment

• I forgot to tell of the guy I got this from. Turns out we have several mutual friends - he's a former hydroplane mechanic and has been on pretty much all of the major teams. Around here racing really comes in 3 forms, boat, plane, car (and in that order). Currently he's building a 66 Chevelle (he put a 9" in) that's being built to run Pike's Peak and (I didn't know this) there's a circuit in the PNW of hill climbs (6 of them) that he's planning on running too. All in a one-car garage with a couple enclosed lean-tos... you'd never guess from the outside. What impressed me the most wasn't the dollar investment, everything he does is perfect but - illustrate - his motor is a 327 with mercury marine aluminum heads. Unless you breath this stuff, the average person doesn't realize that where Chevy Performance goes for better parts is Mercury Marine. His heads are the raised port aluminum heads. No unobtainium, he bought them at a swap meet from someone who was mad because they didn't realize the ports were raised so it wouldn't work in their hooptie. It has a 6 speed out of necessity, and a 9" all with great parts from mostly unknown places. Frame is boxed, body is mostly metal but he's doing some fiberglass and his own honeycomb carbon fiber panels.... in short, I have a new hero.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 29, 2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Sounds like an interesting guy.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Sounds like an interesting guy.

Dan
                              they're all over the place, you just need to listen heck, I heard there's one old coot in North Carolina that's pretty interesting....

Comment

they're all over the place, you just need to listen heck, I heard there's one old coot in North Carolina that's pretty interesting....
                                Several of them. Hope to meet one some day.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X