No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more learning for me. 950 hp at 28 lbs boost and no intercooler.... granted, it's E85 (or 100% methanol)... but still.... 3.3 liters not 3.8. Oh yeah, on a 84-based-block....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
      that would look so good with the rear door handles shaved and the rear doors welded shut...
      just saying. i mean, in case you feel like you need another challenge or something...

that so doesn't fit the point of this build. Outside, this car will look just like my former pastor would have driven. Bench seats, vinyl flooring (if I can find it, everyone has carpet now), clear windows, 4 doors - after all, what use would a 2 door car be to a guy who's entire life was service to others? I suppose it's partially my failure not completing the explanation. Pastor Larry Boyd was the motivation behind Gladstone Park Church. If there ever was a pastor whose skills came at just the right time - it was him. Not only was he an engaging speaker, but he also had the rare talent of being someone you enjoyed spending time with. While that's all well and good for TV preachers, he brought one more thing and the thing was what I most respected about him. If there was a ditch to be dug, sand to be shoveled, really any nasty job to be done, Pastor Boyd was there and had his tools with him so he could get right on it*. He was first there, and last to leave. He worked as hard as anyone but never complained and was always smiling. Of course, that's great but you wonder - what about out-of-view, well, I can only say his wife was happier then him and his kids were the anti-thesis to preacher's kids. He had two daughters who were genuinely good kids.

So, he wouldn't understand why you would make it harder to haul kids (and tools)... to him, it was just a car that he'd replace only when the wheels were falling off (but still looked immaculate)....

*and really he had two, identically-equipped cars. One that was his tool car (that he drove most days) and one for his wife that he'd drive to church but was more ready to haul kids for a treat at Baskin and Robbins.

Comment

• Someone is repopping the complete rubber floor mat for ‘55-‘57 TriFives. Perhaps it could be made to fit, or the producer of the mats have a product for the A-body?
        Last edited by STINEY; July 7, 2019, 08:14 PM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Someone is repopping the complete rubber floor mat for ‘55-‘57 TriFives. Perhaps it could be made to fit, or the producer of the mats have a product for the A-body?
          I have no idea.... I suspect I could find them for a 4 door, but the wagon part is the difficult bit. wonder what a wood floor would look like in the very back?

Comment

• I kind of figured the wide wheels wouldn't work.... need less offset

a fix for the zerk fittings... 90*

this center link... what a pain it's been (and the wrong one, I believe)

front suspension

need to look at old pictures... I can't remember if the steering arms pointed in or out... but that was after I had to redrill them for larger bolts

assembled - didn't even kill myself with the spring compressor

both sides

wasted effort.... manual steering arm is different then power

a-body v. g-body arm.... the PS a-body arm has a 1 1/8" hole rather then 1 1/16"...
            ah well, new they're 40 bucks so it could be worse

Comment

• install brakes
              grease

sporty

fun of getting bolts off

but I have a solution, plus heat....

nope, 4 door rear doors are not the same.

bright side is the metal will work well to fix the quarter panel

Comment

• I'm surprised what I did tonight I don't have to re-do, but sometimes I get lucky

I got my new steering arm

only one itty-bitty problem... the hole is too small

fortunately I have a reamer so with a bit of work, it fits.

however, a new issue. There's a pointy bit on the cross member that makes putting this together an utter pain

chop chop

and remarkably, everything clears.... it sure doesn't look like it will but it does

though with these wheels, it touches the sway bar

I'm so glad I have this bit - it gave me the opportunity to compare....

onto the steering
                I may eventually put a borgeson joint in here, but for now, I'm going to chop the shafts apart then weld in the collapsable section

In other news, I'm going to make this drive sooner then later. To that vein, while I'm building the turbo motor, I'm putting my 455 from the last Skylark in it. I already have headers and the power steering works with this box. I need to fix the low oil pressure issue, but that's simple enough I don't remember if I put a high volume pump in there, but I do know the tricks to give it more pressure for zero dollars and zero cents... which will make this mobile

Comment

• imagine that 455 with 28psi boost tho....

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                    imagine that 455 with 28psi boost tho....
                    I have 90% of the parts to do just that - but it's going in Sledanette

Comment

• We always tuck the crossmember pointy end... It tends to eat the crank pulley when the front tips up..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        We always tuck the crossmember pointy end... It tends to eat the crank pulley when the front tips up..
                        causing a crash that would make that puncture my pan would not make me happy... for you, crashing IS happiness

btw, do you know of any right rear quarter panels which are available? I really don't want to fab one from scratch....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

causing a crash that would make that puncture my pan would not make me happy... for you, crashing IS happiness

btw, do you know of any right rear quarter panels which are available? I really don't want to fab one from scratch....
                          No. Wish I had a stash of them..

Comment

• Will the lower part interchange with a Malibu, etc? Just a thought..........

Dan

Comment

• there are a lot of internal parts - such as inner fenders, floorboards and such which interchange with the Chevelle, but externally, I've never found anything that's close enough - not saying there isn't stuff, but I've no experience which suggests there is

AMD - they provided the quarters for my 70 Buick. I continue to be impressed with them

I don't need more then about 30% however, $80 and $130 all in with shipping.... thank you chevrolet

and brake lines too

I know you just saw me build lines for the Corvette - these lines are cheaper (when you include fittings and spring covering) then the material cost....

Comment

• installation of brake lines

and got stopped

I knew this, but the arm I ordered isn't the right one - so it's ordered now and the rest (master and booster) are on their way
                                and there's plenty left to do while waiting

Comment

Working...
                                X