Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
    I'm loving this, I can't wait to see it in paint! than you for not planning on putting an LS or SBC in it! Buicks need Buick engines!
    they put 5.3 LS motors in Buicks.... My desire is a 1000 hp V6.... and that's the goal, but please don't be terribly disappointed if stuff changes. That said, backup motor is a 455 that I already have.... then second backup is the turbo 455 that I'm supposed to put in my Buick Sedanet (which might, instead, get a 320 straight 8)....point is just like any of my other builds - plans do change.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• My goal is to paint the car and assemble before the weather gets too cold to paint it so it could actually sit outside if necessary... to that end, I ordered the front windshield today.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they put 5.3 LS motors in Buicks.... My desire is a 1000 hp V6.... and that's the goal, but please don't be terribly disappointed if stuff changes. That said, backup motor is a 455 that I already have.... then second backup is the turbo 455 that I'm supposed to put in my Buick Sedanet (which might, instead, get a 320 straight 8)....point is just like any of my other builds - plans do change.
        I'll follow the build either way. I saw a sick early 50's Buick up here in Bremerton earlier this month with a twin turbo 5.3, total sleeper, it was awesome!

I've only seen one straight 8, they're awesome, and massive! Guys in the Fiero community have done some pretty crazy stuff on the Series II and Series III 3800's. I'm pretty sure one guy made 800+ ft lbs on a chassis dyno with a cam, turbo and valve springs. I'd bet one would be easier to package in a RWD car like yours too.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
        1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
        2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• I'd love to see something like a turboed injected straight 8, but I have no idea how much power they can make, or handle. Who knows, it might puke its guts out around 250 horsepower, or it might make 400 HP lolligaging around at 3800 RPM, I just don't know enough about them. It would certainly be unique though.

Comment

• Originally posted by hauen View Post
            I'd love to see something like a turboed injected straight 8, but I have no idea how much power they can make, or handle. Who knows, it might puke its guts out around 250 horsepower, or it might make 400 HP lolligaging around at 3800 RPM, I just don't know enough about them. It would certainly be unique though.
            Ask a tuner how hi he revved that salt flats straight 8 bbefore it windowed...

Comment

• Originally posted by hauen View Post
              I'd love to see something like a turboed injected straight 8, but I have no idea how much power they can make, or handle. Who knows, it might puke its guts out around 250 horsepower, or it might make 400 HP lolligaging around at 3800 RPM, I just don't know enough about them. It would certainly be unique though.
              250 hp 1000 lbs torque... the straight-8 motor is stout - put-in-buses-and-locomotives stout - 5 main cap-stout.... there are LSR with the straight 8, and there is at least one Mega-squirt LSR Straight 8 out there*... you can buy aluminum heads for the 248, 263, and 320.... the only reason I mention it now is I know of a 320 that is mostly built which is available.... and like everything else, there is actually a community who race these motors in LSR

*the person who did this also blew the motor up and that discussion became a memorable fight on here between myself and another.... he claimed the motor blew up because of thin walls on the straight 8.... the motor weighs something like 900 lbs, nothing is light on that motor....

Comment

• time to fix the flintstone

then the fitting

and lots of tacking

though no weld spoon.... darn it.... time to go out and get some more chill bars

Comment

• Moving along! As far as straight 8 info contact the Salt Cat team - a Buick straight 8 in a Jag sedan and they've been doing it forever. They know what works and what doesn't and are nice folks willing to share. Pretty sure they'll turn up in a Google search. And no, the cylinder walls are NOT too thin!!!!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Moving along! As far as straight 8 info contact the Salt Cat team - a Buick straight 8 in a Jag sedan and they've been doing it forever. They know what works and what doesn't and are nice folks willing to share. Pretty sure they'll turn up in a Google search. And no, the cylinder walls are NOT too thin!!!!

Dan
                    when it was said, I was literally in tears laughing so hard.... I get why the guy said it - to make the other guy feel better - after all, IIRC DG didn't charge him for the sh*tton of work he did on that car.... but still, no, they are not thin. lol

Comment

• and for the record, I seriously doubt that will be fully welded. once the floor is finished I'm going to ceramic sound deaden the top and undercoat the bottom.... this car will have A/C because... well, it's a Buick and we like comfort with our speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                        My first response was to start gushing like a fanboy and tell you how cool and that you always get the coolest toys ......

On second thought , I hate you ........

Really cool car .
                        and for the record - my wife still hates this car it will be mine, all mine

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

and for the record - my wife still hates this car it will be mine, all mine

i know youre going for sleepy...but i mean, this IS you...

so since its going to be all yours, i vote for the classic
                          "naked woman riding a fire snorting dragon" mural up
                          and down both sides, with the name "draggin wagon"
                          emblazoned across the tailgate.........
                          Last edited by fatguyzinc; August 20, 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

i know youre going for sleepy...but i mean, this IS you...

so since its going to be all yours, i vote for the classic
                            "naked woman riding a fire snorting dragon" mural up
                            and down both sides, with the name "draggin wagon"
                            emblazoned across the tailgate.........
                            on the roof, the truckers would love me

Comment

• time to get this up where I can work on it

chill bar behind gap

weld it up

another gap, another chill bar

tack it together

trick is not too much heat.... I still have a ways to go...

Comment

• I have often thought of building a set of those wooden stands. How exactly do you get the car up on them? Jack of course, but that's pretty high - my new Harbor Freight Daytona won't quite do that in one shot. Do you put it on tall jackstands first then use a large block to extend the reach of your jack?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X