No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I built some of those wooden stands as well. I jacked up the car with my floor jack as high as it would go, (I have a slightly larger than average floor jack) and built them at a height that I could slide them under the tires. I use them all the time!
    Mine are not as tall as the ones pictured, but still very useful.
    I think the car may spend more time on these than the actual ground.
    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; August 21, 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• windows protected

chill bar

welded

75% welded
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• need to move this to the top of the hill so it's ready for it's Sunday stripper

and there we go, next up is to make it naked

Comment

• time to fix the bumper

slow process, but it's getting there

stripper left my Buick naked on the beach

etch and protect

messy, but one more step

Comment

• The stripper leave you with any surprises?
            Tim
            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• a couple surprises
              not a surprise

kind of a surprise (this was the white door)

not at all

not

not

completely a surprise

not

the extent was a surprise, but it's not a huge deal since I'm already there cutting

not

maybe? but then again not really

nope

nope

nope

that plus the rear floor.... I've ordered the front windshield channel - by the time it gets here I should have the back done

Comment

• Paging Dan Stokes, Dr. Dan "the painter" Stokes to the Buinicorn page....

I don't wanna etch primer the body before I do most of the rust repairs.... how stupid is that? Seattle has 30% humidity - when I paint here, I actually add a humidifier for some of the stuff I've painted (KBS coating has a 40% minimum).... I've put the sandblaster's protectant on it - supposed to be good for several days, but how about 30? thoughts? I have no idea what the product is, he brought it to me (no joke) in Tupperware.... I could primer the hood and one fender - but honestly... I'd rather do the repairs and primer it all before I start with the metal pounding then bondoing.....

Comment

• I'd do the self etching primer and just sand it off the spots that need to be worked on. Once it's good and set it'll sand pretty easily. I've never lived in a place where I had to ADD moisture (MI and NC are both pretty humid, enough that paint will blush from moisture on certain days) so I got nothin' on that. I'd ask your local paint store guy - Gene here in Wilmington has always steered me right.

Dan

Comment

• I know you're right, I just don't wanna..... but I'll get my whimpy self down to the paint supplier and get some epoxy primer.... I have some left over from the FJ40 but it's 4 years old.... ugh

Comment

• tonight I had a couple 'extra' moments so I did some bumper unbending

there's a dent

push on the back

get creative with leverage

what you can't see is the long, small rod that is the same diameter as the roll on the bumper being pushed into place

much better

as if by magic

I still have to tap it into shape - but with bumpers, hammering a dent out is about the worst way you can remove it.... bumpers rarely stretch when they get a dent, but hammering stretch the metal.... then you chase waves down the bumper...tapping will happen, just not yet.... truly though, my goal is pretty straight then I'll send it off to California to be perfected and rechromed..... that said, doing this (without them having to fix whatever I'm doing) saves me money.... I figure if I had sent it with dents and missing bits it would have cost $1500 to have fixed and chromed..... the hope is it will be about $500 ....

1/2 way
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 26, 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        a couple surprises

completely a surprise
                        I'm scratching my head as to how it's got rust in that area.
                        Last edited by 65RHDEER; August 26, 2019, 11:14 PM.
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Over filled has burning the paint off maybe ?
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

I'm scratching my head as to how it's got rust in that area.
                            all I can figure is there was a mouse nest in there at some point and their pee rusted the metal - otherwise, I have no idea

Comment

• epoxy primer requires hitting the car with 120-180 grit scuff
                              so scuff we do

dust in the air

2 hours later, looks exactly the same

cleaned the goop off the firewall

and sanded the fenders.... hopefully tomorrow night or the night after I can get this into primer

Comment

• what about silver? light blue is cool and all of that, but silver.... hmmm

Comment

Working...
                                X