Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2500 Lb.? No hate intended, really.

Actually GNX guys go mid 7s...

Last edited by RockJustRock; September 9, 2019, 03:35 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Now to sound dumb and creepy, the YouPullit motor is for test fit?

Comment

• Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        Now to sound dumb and creepy, the YouPullit motor is for test fit?
        yep - and for all those stupid parts that take forever to find - e.g. accessory bracket bolts - and never are right the first, second or even third time....
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

2500 Lb.? No hate intended, really.

Actually GNX guys go mid 7s...

lol, really. those GNX guys are running that block that I'm planning on using - the GN blocks are good to 500 without major fixes and even then require partial or even full fill.... I want to drag week this so I need a cooling system.

my 70 Skylark with a 455 and 4 speed was 3200 lbs as per scales near my home..... so no, no kidding..... all that safety stuff they load into cars these days add a great deal of weight - by comparison people are 'doing good' with a GNX if they get to 3800 lbs.... The Corvette, with it's 'light fiberglass panels' is 3600 and 3300 if you really do some solid weight reduction.... or consider this, the 50 Buick Sedanet that is on the waiting list - it weighs 1600 lbs right now (with no motor/trans).... the Fiat 124 I have weighs more at 1800 lbs.

Even more on that vein, which do you think weighs less, my 1994 Diesel suburban or my 2018 Colorado? how about the FJ40 v. my wife's 2014 Jeep JK?

I've had all of these on the scales... it goes like this... the Suburban weighs 200 lbs less then the Colorado. The FJ40 weighs 600 lbs less then my wife's JK....

All the work and lightening on my C3 Corvette... I'll be lucky to be under 3500 lbs
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 9, 2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• 57 Sedan Delivery, plywood/carpeted rear. 3400lbs.

Comment

• Like I said, goals. You want to build an 8 sec. 2500 Lb. car as a station wagon, go for it.

All I know is if THAT is a "lunch money" motor and we ever go out to eat YOU are picking up the check!
              Last edited by RockJustRock; September 11, 2019, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Like I said, goals. You want to build an 8 sec. 2500 Lb. car as a station wagon, go for it.

All I know is if THAT is a "lunch money" motor and we ever go out to eat YOU are picking up the check!
                the Microsofties are the lunch money donors....

in other news, I need to find a 97-08 motor.... still think I should find a rwd for the accessories, but that's mostly ignorance on my part.... perhaps they're the same configuration fwd/rwd?
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 11, 2019, 05:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                  Here's my thoughts and I'm going to preface this with you can go two ways with this depending on what your overall intent is with the car.

Plan 2: Going with a different foundation. This is probably higher power capacity but definitely more work.
                  Put a L67 long block in it and dig up a 4rd Gen F-body L36 intake and a workable oil pan (can’t remember what works) to convert it to RWD. This will give you a much more rev tolerant engine with a strong short block that will take more power in the long run. There are a number of folks who have built this combo over on www.turbobuick.com and other than the mounts, oil pan, and dealing with a 4L60E it’s pretty simple. I think one of them is even running an MS3 setup on his. A stock L67 is pretty durable, most of the problems with the cars with them were the weak 4T65E’s vs. the engine but running lean they will pinch rings and chip pistons. Stock replacement pistons are cheap and even coated frequently. Aftermarket support for the L67 is still fairly strong with aftermarket pistons off the shelf, P&P heads still around, and a decent selection of cams. The L67 is also lighter than the classic 3.8L. They do make adapter plates to run Chevy trans behind the Metric60 patterned L67 and F-bodies came with basically a fox body V8 world class T-5 in a GM case if you want a stick. Overall they are a better engine than the 3.8L, much like the Gen III (i.e. LS1) is an evolution of the Gen I/II SBC they take the basic core but vastly update it with durability and performance improvements. The L67 really is the LS1 of the Buick V6 line; same bore and stroke but shorter deck height, slipper pistons, roller cams, on center block geometry, symmetric ports, etc.

Get that motor you have unstuck and see if it’s worth building (if the block is still standard bore and not a 20 bolt oil pan, I might be interested if it’s usable).
                  and for the record, this is pretty much what I'm going to do.... just turned up a bit more

now to figure out accessories - it will have power steering and a/c.... because Buick.
                  and I will loosen the valve train to see if that is what is stuck - I don't really want to blow it apart until I know I have a buyer. That said, there was no water in the bottom end
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 11, 2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                    Here's my thoughts and I'm going to preface this with you can go two ways with this depending on what your overall intent is with the car.

Plan 1: Use what you have here as a foundation. This is mainly if the basics of the motor aren't junk or you want something simpler to deal with. Above all check www.turbobuick.com for second hand stuff and even recipes for builds. www.gnttype.org is very dated but has a ton of good info as well..
                    Absolutely go through the motor and give it a decent refresh; i.e. new rings and bearings, bottlebrush the oil galleries and coolant passages, replace the freeze plugs, etc. When you want to step it up, unless you are avoiding rebalancing the rotating assembly, get a set of aftermarket Diamond or JE forged pistons. The stockers are heavy and durable but very old school. Get a set of Champion CNC ported heads or there are a few other folks with good heads, Champions are just extremely repeatable and a solid value. If you are going to move the turbo from the stock "hot air" setup, you might as well go full 86-87 "intercooled" intake, stockers aren't too expensive (or restricting) and Champion offers CNC ported units to match their (and most other) ported iron heads. The "hot air" intake isn't very good and will leave you with a ton of compromises. Going "intercooled" on the intake will also let you get away from the throttle mounted to the inlet of the turbo which means you HAVE to run a specific type of seal (carbon something or other) on the turbo to keep it from pulling oil past the seal on closed throttle. A very big restriction going with other turbos. I've not played in the aftermarket EFI game on these engines but I know the MS community is strong for it based on DieselGeek's testimony on them doing the early DIS work and one of the most prolific experimenters in the Turbo6 world Bruce Plecan (RIP good friend) was getting into MS1 before he died. I successfully have adapted an L67 FWD ECM to run my LC2 ("intercooled") based 4.1 motor. Lastly, these motors do not like to rev very high, most people even with heavy cars like a 90's B-body wagon tend to go for the 3.42's or maybe 3.73's at the highest on the rear gears. 4.10's will virtually guarantee you shift into 4th in the quarter and TH200-4R’s aren’t setup to survive doing that long term from what I’ve heard (I run a 4L80E).

Plan 2: Going with a different foundation. This is probably higher power capacity but definitely more work.
                    Put a L67 long block in it and dig up a 4rd Gen F-body L36 intake and a workable oil pan (can’t remember what works) to convert it to RWD. This will give you a much more rev tolerant engine with a strong short block that will take more power in the long run. There are a number of folks who have built this combo over on www.turbobuick.com and other than the mounts, oil pan, and dealing with a 4L60E it’s pretty simple. I think one of them is even running an MS3 setup on his. A stock L67 is pretty durable, most of the problems with the cars with them were the weak 4T65E’s vs. the engine but running lean they will pinch rings and chip pistons. Stock replacement pistons are cheap and even coated frequently. Aftermarket support for the L67 is still fairly strong with aftermarket pistons off the shelf, P&P heads still around, and a decent selection of cams. The L67 is also lighter than the classic 3.8L. They do make adapter plates to run Chevy trans behind the Metric60 patterned L67 and F-bodies came with basically a fox body V8 world class T-5 in a GM case if you want a stick. Overall they are a better engine than the 3.8L, much like the Gen III (i.e. LS1) is an evolution of the Gen I/II SBC they take the basic core but vastly update it with durability and performance improvements. The L67 really is the LS1 of the Buick V6 line; same bore and stroke but shorter deck height, slipper pistons, roller cams, on center block geometry, symmetric ports, etc.

Get that motor you have unstuck and see if it’s worth building (if the block is still standard bore and not a 20 bolt oil pan, I might be interested if it’s usable).
                    ZZP makes aluminum heads as well....pricey, but, they are very nice from what I've read....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Moving right along.....

Heads you'll probably want to cut no corners. CNC ported aluminum.

Then, multiple choice:
                      A) one turbo
                      B) one BIG turbo
                      C) two turbos
                      D) two BIG turbos

I'm not a fan of the snap, crackle, pop, SCREAM to build boost so *I* would choose C).

Comment

• C - two turbos I already have

and you must have missed the "cnc ported stock heads"

Comment

• Yeah, I skip a lot of pages in Project Car. Rust repair is SO depressing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            C - two turbos I already have

and you must have missed the "cnc ported stock heads"
                            Stock heads in themselves are. Decent head.. But cnc ported and all that black magic, they are awesome heads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Stock heads in themselves are. Decent head.. But cnc ported and all that black magic, they are awesome heads.
                              holds true for a lot of motors... anybody see that 360 mopar build that frieburger did?
                              they were disappointed with the power output. dulcich took heads home, did a port/polish
                              (that i assume included a pentagram drawn on the garage floor and him dancing
                              naked around a lit-on-fire bucket of KFC...) and got an extra *92* hp !!!!!!!

brother bobby did the H3 tunnel port/polish on the 66 chevelle 396/375 heads that
                              are on the 461" in the white vette, no dyno numbers but seat of the pants says
                              60-90hp on that too...

ok, now back to our original programming......
                              Last edited by fatguyzinc; September 12, 2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Getting the DT's over here......a whole week with no Buinicorn action....
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X