No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw a K9 on the news I believe in Cali, ran across the street and attacked an innocent bystander...

Who knows what dogs think?

My first pit always went after 10 yr old kids. Never understood why. (suspect the kids were mean)
    When my wife wanted Pepper in Iowa after her father passed, I claimed "hearing ear dog" and flew her at my feet on United... Stewardess asks if kids could pet her....."Uhhhhh...". Kids came anyway.. She just laid there like a pro traveler. Never been leashed or tied up.. Got her to walk with the leash in 1-1/2 weeks every night. Arrived at Des Moines... Squat down. Asked Pepper, "Who do you see?". 30 yards away my wife with a cluster of people...Pepper's ears perked up. "Ok. Go to Pam" and she was gone! Sat down 5 ft from Pam and slid right by her...
    My point? Pepper was 4 or 5 by then. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Saw a K9 on the news I believe in Cali, ran across the street and attacked an innocent bystander...

tricks.
      Just saw noon news, the K9 was in Portland.

Comment

• rear bumper is off to Mexico to be straightened, welded and rechromed..... not cheap, but it could be a lot worse... in other news, this is going to move initially on the LS motor....
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 13, 2019, 10:21 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• pictures of bumpers that went to Mexico

I told the guy that I blogged everything I did - and he was fine with my taking pictures and posting. He mentioned this bumper might be on their website too because it has a bit of pretty much every flaw that you can have in a bumper... scratches, cuts, gouges, waves, bends - the only thing really missing is a hard crease

so the mechanics is - this guy is from Arlington (near me), he reps the Bumper Depot. They pick up stuff at swap meets, send them to California where they do the straightening, and fixing. The bumper then goes to Mexico for the chemical processes (3 stages, 3x). It then goes back to California where they polish it. After that's done, they wrap it and bring it back to whichever swap meet you wish to pick it up. For me, their next swap meet is in April in Puyallup. If I don't get it there, the bumper gets here in February and I pick it up at this guy's business in Arlington..... so I am spending $700 to have this fixed (3x the cost of the car), but if I had it chromed here, it would cost $2,200.... and for those curious, it's $500 for a simple rechrome.

Comment

• Thus the boom in powder coating
            I like chrome better tho..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Thus the boom in powder coating
              I like chrome better tho..
              powder can look so dated....

and another thing - my dad had a bumper rechromed by them for his 65 SS Chevelle, so they are a 'known' company to me.

Comment

• Oh I didn't mention, I'm putting my 6.0 LS motor in this.... if I do race it, it will be with a $20,000 V6, but right now it needs to be done and a motor I already have is far cheaper to make this happen....

Comment

• twin turbo 3800 should bother some people! the fiero community loves 3800's, alot of guys throw a single precision 6266 on them and run 11's all day on a stock long block. the supercharged engines got better connecting rods, IIRC.
                  "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                  1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                  2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• I think I made a lateral move with this 4L80e.... time will tell

dragged the motor out

and hitched them together

attempt to keep the mess down

up we go

I don't remember what I was watching, but they highly recommended pulling the core support... two bolts... done

hmmm.... gasser style?

time to manage expectations... I build stuff because I'm interested in it - in this case, I've never retrofitted a LS motor. This is my 'chance' to do so. I've heard a lot of things
                    such as:
                    - torque converter is different (yep, this torque converter is probably off a gen1 - the trans is 99-00 - because even with the converter fully seated the trans is 1/2" away from mounting flange
                    - the oil pan can work with notching... ummm.... you mean complete refabrication
                    - you can use the exhaust manifolds.... sure, you can but it ain't easy on the driver's side
                    - you can flip the manifolds over and use them as turbo manifolds....

anyway, need to order a pan. I'm going to replace the oil pump, change the springs and likely put a hotter cam in it. I don't know on the intake yet - I'm not afraid of EFI but I have no idea which I'm going to use.... in any case, I probably won't touch this again until after SEMA the goal tonight was clear some floor space.

*edit* the 99-00 6.0 crank is .400 shorter (not sure why they keep saying it's longer when the fix is a .400 spacer... guess I'll figure that out at some point). Also, according to Summit racing the flexplate is different 4L60 v. 4L80...
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 30, 2019, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• You do not sit still, how many days ago did the plan go to LS .

I can see why though, you have the motivation part quickly sorted.
                      Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                        You do not sit still, how many days ago did the plan go to LS .

I can see why though, you have the motivation part quickly sorted.
                        this is mostly a bolt-together project... body work should go pretty quickly as well... with the headache the Corvette is probably going to be - easy is a good thing

and keep in mind, I plan on a Buick motor in here.... so everything I'm doing keeps that option open.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 29, 2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• and the plan is build the LS to 500-600 hp, dial the car in, maybe even run drag week then turn up the wick... oh and something else, screw the idea of running around the South without AC.... so I lose time, it'll keep me happy.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 29, 2019, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• You know you're working on something easy when you can get the parts same-day-delivery from amazon

on the other hand, my tractor - it will take at least a month for a couple parts....

Comment

• Groovy on the mounts. Bummer about the Kioti bits......

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                Groovy on the mounts. Bummer about the Kioti bits......

Dan
                                it is what it is.. when I bought the tractor and took it to my friend I told him that our goal was Thanksgiving to have it back together - he laughed and said he'd be faster. He is faster, parts, however, are not. If it's December and I don't have my tractor, then it's potentially an issue - but for now it's all going according to plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X