Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more cleaning

I got quite a bit done today but this little Fiat engineering lunacy took a bit of time

you have to remove the alternator bracket to change the belt.....
    oh yeah, and hold the tensioner over with pry bar and strap

because fing Fiat

back to GM.... only one broken exhaust bolt.... only not out yet

I also did photoless work on my Colorado (wired lights and installed a pedal commander - to remove the lag)
    So pretty much it was a day of dealing with the professional automobile engineers and fixing their efups.

and I scoped the pistons - lower compression so 300 hp not 345 - but the bright side is it's better for the turbo that is inevitable..... that said, it was pinging a bit too and has brand new knock sensors.....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 8, 2019, 10:25 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• how to clean carbon without pulling the head is going to be my next thing......

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        how to clean carbon without pulling the head is going to be my next thing......
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Looking good! I'm not sure about this cleaning thing though. (I get the functional aspect of the carbon cleaning for your application though.) For my LS, I'm planning on more of a VGG rebuild where I plan to clean gasket mating surfaces and knock off any big chunks.
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
            Looking good! I'm not sure about this cleaning thing though. (I get the functional aspect of the carbon cleaning for your application though.) For my LS, I'm planning on more of a VGG rebuild where I plan to clean gasket mating surfaces and knock off any big chunks.
            if it were a motor without torque-to-yield head bolts; I'd pull the head and replace the gasket .... but who knows, the exhaust bolt may make this happen.
            the biggest issue about carbon is it creates higher cylinder pressures and knocking - that said I may just put methanol injection on it and let it self-clean.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 9, 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Back in '64 when Buick was building the 300 CI V8 with aluminum heads and a cast block they were carboning up like crazy. We found that if we ran Rislone engine oil treatment in the gas (a quart every 3K miles with the LOF) we had no issues at all. While a lot has changed it seems like it might still do the trick. If we got a customer who wasn't one of ours (our regulars were already on the program) we'd have them put in a quart with each gas tank fill up for 3K miles or so and then a quart with each LOF.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

if it were a motor without torque-to-yield head bolts; I'd pull the head and replace the gasket .....

the fact that it uses tty bolts alone would make me change em out for 'regular' bolts.
                ask any 6.0 ford owner why....

and if youre ever going to turbo it, the tty bolts will stretch and pop a gasket for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

the fact that it uses tty bolts alone would make me change em out for 'regular' bolts.
                  ask any 6.0 ford owner why....

and if youre ever going to turbo it, the tty bolts will stretch and pop a gasket for sure.
                  I have no idea what you're talking about.... and stop with the 4 letter F words. 500 hp is enough for now and fits perfectly with my plan that this becomes a mule motor and powers whatever I'm building as I build it. This will have a Buick motor (heck, maybe even the 430). It may get a turbo in the process but mostly as learning experience and validating the car.... as for popping a gasket, there's sure been a lot of people who've had success with stock/stock/stock..... granted, with cheap I don't expect reliable.

Comment

• a bit of heat

and out it comes

not sure on the color....

that was a test panel, those parts are getting wrinkle black

rockers off and pushrods out

rockers need a rebuild....

GM doesn't put the dot on the bottom gear

and yes, it's 180 degrees off.... so what

disassembly of the rockers

and an issue....

can you spot it?

count from the right - the number 2 and number 3 journals look terrible. it literally looks like it was chattering in both of those bores - guess the low oil pressure was starting to cause issue.... but that creates a problem.... or rather a decision. Weigh in, I'm leaning towards ignoring it and going with the 'I have a high volume pump for this reason'.... I do not want to pull caps... though I suspect they're fine since it does the mains and rod oiling first

back to this

I don't trust the newfangled holders but I do trust gravity

I'm going to run the cam by a couple friends tomorrow and see what they say...

Comment

• What shape are those two cam bearings in?
                      Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• I am the wrong person to give advice on this topic but "if it were me" I would pull the caps and inspect the bearings. I know you said this is a shake down motor and that the long term plan is a different bullet.

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                          What shape are those two cam bearings in?
                          I'm hoping round... because of which ones they are - I'm not sure any of my cameras can get back there to give a meaningful view....
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 11, 2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• after polling my friends who are experts... I need to rebuild it. dang it. The guess from one is that GM didn't bore it straight, which means line boring and oversized cam bearings...

Comment

• Good choice. I mean.... How many thousand miles? I doubt any record would get much recognition
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                                Good choice. I mean.... How many thousand miles? I doubt any record would get much recognition
                                yes but to remind, the goal was less expensive.... which it could be just not as less expensive as I had envisioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X