No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh, machine shop.... I thought we were on the same page. hone and knock the cam bearings in place. I get a call today that "you have a problem"... apparently .002 taper is bad. - while I admit that .002 is not optimal, for a cheapass motor, knock the glaze off and have a nice day.... guess I'm doing this myself.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Sometimes machine shops need work, so they start looking at stuff we didn't want them to look at. He probably figured if he mentioned it he'd get a bore job, and sell some pistons too!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
        Sometimes machine shops need work, so they start looking at stuff we didn't want them to look at. He probably figured if he mentioned it he'd get a bore job, and sell some pistons too!
        It's a fair guess, but this guy is odd (and most people I know are odd - but he stands out).... Former bodybuilder, born again Christian and all of 5-2 in shoes.... when I want perfect, he's the guy, but the last go around I thought we came to an agreement (he asked why I didn't bring him more stuff).... some are top shelf, others are not oh well. As like anything else, the wind blows this way until it doesn't

Comment

• It was right to knock the bearings out....

what's interesting is it's only the middle bearings where there is issue however the chatter happened on the ends

top of the bearing looks brand new

middle 3 are at copper ends are fine

So I don't know, I may buy a rotation kit/stroker - they are amazingly cheap... I beam rods, forged pistons, steel crank with bearings for $1700 delivered and all name brand stuff.... gets me 403-408 ci.... feel free to weigh in, and again, I'm not building this motor for the Buick, I'm building it as my 'stock' motor to make stuff run quickly....

Comment

• throw it together with stock parts, and put that 1700 towards a turbo and the stuff to put said turbo in the car. these engines are tanks, Matt Happel just broken into the 8's on a 4.8 with a cam, turbo, and fuel system, google sloppy mechanics 8f8, you don't need to splurge on the "good stuff"
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
            1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
            2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              Fel Pro makes a .048 MLS gasket (stock is .054)

ARP bolts are $75
              head gaskets are 65/ea
              Can I inquire as to your reasoning in head gasket choice? Chevy performance are $42.78 each from Amazon and advertized at .051 compressed thickness.

Also where do you find ARP head bolts for $75?
              Last edited by 74NovaMan; December 26, 2019, 10:48 AM. Reason: Wrong gasket.
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

Can I inquire as to your reasoning in head gasket choice? Chevy performance are $42.78 each from Amazon and advertized at .051 compressed thickness.

Also where do you find ARP head bolts for $75?
                $101.98 Amazon

Head gasket set $125 (included the head gaskets)

and frankly I think they listed this wrong on several sites - I was expecting just head gaskets, but it's pretty much the entire gasket set (pictures later)...

Comment

$101.98 Amazon

Head gasket set $125 (included the head gaskets)

and frankly I think they listed this wrong on several sites - I was expecting just head gaskets, but it's pretty much the entire gasket set (pictures later)...
                  Thanks. As with other parts, the comparable set for my 2003 5.3L is just north of $180. I need to take inventory of the gaskets I already have to see if I can just order head gaskets.
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

It was right to knock the bearings out....

So I don't know, I may buy a rotation kit/stroker - they are amazingly cheap... I beam rods, forged pistons, steel crank with bearings for $1700 delivered and all name brand stuff.... gets me 403-408 ci.... feel free to weigh in, and again, I'm not building this motor for the Buick, I'm building it as my 'stock' motor to make stuff run quickly....
                    No doubt you've thought about spending a few hours to find another motor?
                    Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

top of the bearing looks brand new
                      makes perfect sense, the tops don't really see any load, the lifters and gravity push the cam down, nothing really pushes it up.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                      1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                      2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

makes perfect sense, the tops don't really see any load, the lifters and gravity push the cam down, nothing really pushes it up.
                        yes, if they were smooth, but they have a rough texture.... working theory continues but the current theory is low oil pressure since it was new. There is a tremendous amount of force down but oil pressure should keep the cam off the bearing; not just that, but it wouldn't make the top of the bearing (engine top) sandpaper rough.

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

No doubt you've thought about spending a few hours to find another motor?
                        I call that 'buying someone else's problem' while there are good sellers out there there are also some real schmidts..... why chance it?
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 26, 2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

yes, if they were smooth, but they have a rough texture.... working theory continues but the current theory is low oil pressure since it was new. There is a tremendous amount of force down but oil pressure should keep the cam off the bearing; not just that, but it wouldn't make the top of the bearing (engine top) sandpaper rough.
                          With the CAFE standards being rammed down our throats, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that zero W 30 oil might have something to do with this....
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• picture of head gasket kit that I think is poorly described (thought I was only getting MLS head gaskets, not a set)

hmmm.... anti-gravity device is faulty

electric requires moving '40, which would mean opening the door (it's 20 degrees outside), and letting the heat out of the shop

wait, I have another option

anti-gravity enabled

time to hit my thumb...err... mark rods

plan b, I'm still artistic with my dremel

forgot about this catch basin on my washing cabinet.... filled with sludge but very little sludge in tank (win)

clean pistons

and honing

then clean oil passages

which brings me to a question... why 2 holes in the cam bearings? there are not two galleys....

Comment

• They had a sale on holes?

Dan

Comment

• Half way thru cam bearing life you are supposed to rotate the bearing holes, longer life/more power?

Comment

Working...
                                X