X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    They had a sale on holes?

Dan
    knowing GM, they probably figured there was million dollars in recycling those drops....

these things fascinate me because it's the first time I've ever seen the weld line where they welded the ends together.... it also might be the cause of the issue - those 'rough' spots would slow the flow of oil and potentially dry the bearing.... facing the motor, it spins clockwise, the hole is at 4 o'clock and the weld line is at 12 o'clock....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 27, 2019, 12:10 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• While I don't know about the engineering on the LS I do know that some older (read, "the old guy's generation") engines had the holes positioned such that one would align with the oil hole in the bearing web regardless of which way the bearing was installed so that there was no front or rear to the bearing.

Dan

Comment

• new, rebuilt heads arrived

I'll leave these original size, sorry for the slow load times

two holes... why? only one oil passage

here's the weld/connection point - I am guessing but it may be part of the problem of the wear because that would divert oil from the bearing - especially if it was tight up against the oil feed hole

in this picture, you can even see where the oil was diverted out of the bearing

this surface has a very rough texture

and then what about the high and low spots of the bearing? presumptively it's a round hole so why would there be pressure points (the shiny)?

anyway, puzzling and something I've never seen before

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Reminds me of the early Y-block oiling problems with the #3 cam bearing. The more things change...

Comment

• There is a joke on sloppy mechanics never look at the cam bearings or they will be bad.

I thought the holes were there to insert rods hold the lifters up to do a cam change with out pulling the heads?
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• yep, rod goes in those holes to guarantee they stay up...

washed pistons today

painted the block Buick red

it will get another coat tomorrow - to preserve the paint...
                push plastic down onto the paint (to keep the air off)

then smack the lid on

Comment

• update .... compare the new cam bearings to the old.... thinking perhaps someone noticed there was a problem beside me

another coat of paint, I'm giving the paint a good chance to set up (it has been kind of cold for painting) but plan on slapping this together 'next'

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    update .... compare the new cam bearings to the old.... thinking perhaps someone noticed there was a problem beside me
                    Just a bit wider, eh? possibly not enough surface area to maintain the oil wedge required to prevent the chattering....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• They look wider, but it appears the oil passage hole is larger too maybe?

Comment

• one of the videos I watched used carb cleaner to clean the pistons... as I'm not thrilled with the solvent method, here we go

then time to knock cam bearings in place... what a pita

then slid the cam in place

and set the crank in place....

Comment

• For giggles maybe you can look at end gap on the old rings? Might be interesting to calculate how many hundred thousand miles would be required to open them up enough for serious boost?
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            For giggles maybe you can look at end gap on the old rings? Might be interesting to calculate how many hundred thousand miles would be required to open them up enough for serious boost?
                            can't, I don't know what ring came off what piston... that said, HR or similar magazine did a turbo build on a used 5.3 where they reused the old rings - and filed them open wider. This motor will get a turbo, so the new rings will be opened up a bit.

Comment

• This is probably a hit piece for that hard-hitting McSquatch reporting, but since reporting starts here.... the machine shop put arrows on the main caps.... and put the arrow the wrong direction on one.... while I'd get that mistake on any of my Buick motors... on an LS? for those who don't know, the cap number is cast onto the driver's side of the bearing cap.... for a shop that was so concerned about .001 taper, this seems a bit... well, odd.

Comment

• Pistons are coming out nice from the carb cleaner

Comment

Working...
                                X