Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onward

the valve covers came with nice, aluminum brackets to mount the coils... they don't work, so cleanup the old stuff

oh how not much fun this is

it's really not hard work, basically you're just removing all you don't need (call it an even 2/3rds)

side note, I've been griping about missing parts - like the gaskets and the fittings for this... found them stuff inside the TB

this is supposed to be the MAP sensor.... too big, don't know what I'm going to do yet. fortunately I can mix and match sensors so it's not a huge deal, but it's still an issue

unneeded wires.... the problem is I have to add some back in because I changed sensors and I'm using drive-by-cable rather then drive by wire
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Skid Factory Al, he would be proud of you

Another Youtube channel that has interacted with the Skid Factory are building a V6 Buick (Holden Commodore) in a new project they are undertaking. They are not too excited in this first video but by the 2nd they are a bit more keen.

Link to the first video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1byBuHY6hs
      Last edited by 65RHDEER; January 31, 2020, 02:24 AM.
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Been watching your progress. Also been see in the back ground your "Land Crusher"!!
        Looks like a Excellent Off Road Rig. I have multiple addictions, and one of them is Off Roading, mostly Exploring! Have a mild built 87 Samurai that had been too some Great Places that people Have Nat. Geo. Subscriptions to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
          Been watching your progress. Also been see in the back ground your "Land Crusher"!!
          Looks like a Excellent Off Road Rig. I have multiple addictions, and one of them is Off Roading, mostly Exploring! Have a mild built 87 Samurai that had been too some Great Places that people Have Nat. Geo. Subscriptions to see.
          that build is FJ4Overland. I love Sammis at some point I'm sure I'll build one.

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
            Skid Factory Al, he would be proud of you

Another Youtube channel that has interacted with the Skid Factory are building a V6 Buick (Holden Commodore) in a new project they are undertaking. They are not too excited in this first video but by the 2nd they are a bit more keen.

Link to the first video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1byBuHY6hs
            not proud now, last night I was shopping for all the connectors I need and stumbled across EFILive - who builds a harness. It's on its way. The 'other' choice that led me to spend the 16 or so hours this would take is that the price was 2k - efilive is 10% of that.... annoying that I didn't find it earlier, but it will save me lots of time - and in an effort to have the two projects done this year... it is what it is.... that and the cost of those connectors was $100 - which is 1/3 of the cost of the completed harness.

I'll check out the Buick - sounds cool.

*edit* Nugget Garage, those boys are nuts - I watched their delivery truck V8 Mazda build...
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 31, 2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

not proud now, last night I was shopping for all the connectors I need and stumbled across EFILive - who builds a harness. It's on its way. The 'other' choice that led me to spend the 16 or so hours this would take is that the price was 2k - efilive is 10% of that.... annoying that I didn't find it earlier, but it will save me lots of time - and in an effort to have the two projects done this year... it is what it is.... that and the cost of those connectors was $100 - which is 1/3 of the cost of the completed harness.

I'll check out the Buick - sounds cool.

*edit* Nugget Garage, those boys are nuts - I watched their delivery truck V8 Mazda build...
              I'm in the middle of reworking my wiring harness as well. I can't seem to find the one you are looking at. Can you share a link? I'd certainly be interested in something in the $300 range as opposed to spending all the time. Thanks,
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• There are a few ebayers selling this harness:

Which looks like a great deal if it's any good.
                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                  There are a few ebayers selling this harness:

Which looks like a great deal if it's any good.
                  those aren't for microsquirt.

It is quite a decision-making process to determine what system to use. Heck, even MS has 3 different computer options with several sub-options. I didn't go with the GM computer for a few reasons. 1) I didn't want the drive-by-wire gas pedal. I really do want stealth and hiding the rheostat under the dash would have been a challenge, add to the "one more thing to go wrong." You can change to the earlier computer but now you're still trying to hide a large box that cannot be submerged (no under-floorboard mount because one car wash would brick the car). 2) the GM computer would also run the transmission (needs the transmission), thus when I swap motors, I'll be stuck trying to come up with a transmission control solution. 3) making the aftermarket place nice with GM continues to be a challenge - I can run any of a number of dash solutions off the MS. 4) I'll say it again, the GM control system is a big girl. 4) I'd need to buy another license from HPTuners - add to that if I ever took it to be tuned by someone, they'd have to buy a license as well and it adds to the cost.... which, in the GM case, is the only reason to use the GM system. 5) flexibility, MS doesn't care who is giving it input - GM systems do, not just that but they need their information in a very specific way - which means some parts don't play nice with other, GM, parts.

EFI Source supplies Goldbox, MegaSquirt, MicroSquirt, LS, Hemi, Harness, and other programmable EFI systems and products o the performance minded automotive community.

and remember - that $945 includes new injectors (which are $330). You can buy separate, just harness, just computer, or whatever.... to me, that's a pretty solid deal. And with that said, you can buy 8 new 45# injectors from Amazon for $50.

Comment

• Dang those injectors have come down in price. When I bout the set of my 'Stang (maybe 20 years ago) they were several hundred $$.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Dang those injectors have come down in price. When I bout the set of my 'Stang (maybe 20 years ago) they were several hundred $$.

Dan
                      don't tell anyone but there is a interchange between the Ford, Chrysler and GM injectors (the ones I'm using work in any of those cars)

Comment

• New injectors... the only thing you need to know about these is you must replace the lower seal with a smaller one - otherwise they fit perfectly

I should have bought a tractor first...

gas tank, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I have the tank that is for the Fiat and already has an aeromotive fuel pump in it. This tank I could make work, nowever, because it's less than 7" thick, an in-tank pump is a tough fit. Because it's a wagon, the tank is different (side fill v. rear fill for the cars with trunks)

problem 1 with the rockers... there is not even .0015 of space between it and the rear wall

but if you grind just a bit off.... it fits

and interference fit between the ICT bracket and the no-name valve covers

fixed

then fix the fit between the alternator housing and the covers

installing the ps pump

onto the intake lots of ports, not all needed

injector fitting

hard to see, but two, different sizes of o-rings (the blue is the smaller version)

top pops in nicely

and getting closer

Comment

• So I now have 3 megasquirt suppliers. DIYTune, AMPEfi, and now EFISource.
                          I ordered the trans controller from DIYTune on Tuesday, it shipped Wednesday or Thursday. It is supposed to be here tomorrow.
                          HOWEVER
                          I ordered the wiring harness from EFISource (DIYTune is TN or Kentucky, EFItune is Georgia/Florida).... Get this, on Thursday night, they sent it Friday and it arrived today. Well done EFISource, well done - you have set a high bar indeed, but for being so good, you get praised here...

Comment

• wires, wires for everyone!

more wires

should be fun figuring out which side goes where.... I already see a small problem in that some of the plugs need to be changed (2)

but the trans controller/wiring looks plug and play

the motor will not go into the car in this configuration

yeah

take 2

how is it I had clearance before but not now?

to be honest, I'm not sure what the solution is going to be - the hard/best way would be move the motor back 3"... for what I want to do with it, that would do all sorts of good, problem is that means firewall mods (not big ones, thankfully, but still more work)

I have about 1 1/2" before the firewall, but if I don't notch, I'd have to shift the motor forward to pull the transmission... yeah, no

it is going to look good with a turbo there... but that's round 2

I'm going to have to come up with a cross member plan

does look good in place

the wiring looks good too, far better then Howell's but it's almost a shame but I have to at least open the lines because I need to put dash sensor wires and wire the starter, alternator and a/c clutch.

Comment

• for posterity
                              Microsquirt instructions
                              EFI, Fuel Injection, Auto, automotive, car, TPI, computation, ECU, MegaSquirt, GPIO, MicroSquirt, Sequencer, stim, MegaShift, MShift, DIY, transmission, 4L60E, 4L80E, controller, shifter

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 5, 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• I know it seems silly to do this now, however, the next step to make it run is a fuel system.... which is under the floor...which needs to be painted....

fun fun

good tools for this task

getting there....

Comment

Working...
                                X