No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a lot better than I could accomplish back in my body shop days, when I would try to make the fender lips from scratch
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      a lot better than I could accomplish back in my body shop days, when I would try to make the fender lips from scratch
      this car was fixed by Michelangelo's distant offspring, so no... no I will not
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• back to floors

this thing has more waves then a beauty pagent

who says a Buick's weight isn't useful?

more Buick and Chevy weight... fun fact, I had no idea I had those 882 heads..

would you look at that, it's not wood

I will never use weld-through primer... this car lasted longer then me without it, and it will last longer then me once fixed.... it splatters, and burns.... and emits cuss words

Comment

• Thank You for the testimonials on the "Weld Thru Primer". I was wondering how that stuff works, I was more worried about fumes coming off, my shop "Fog's Up" with weld fumes enough already.
          And if you have to grind off spatter, what did you gain? You will have to primer it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
            Thank You for the testimonials on the "Weld Thru Primer". I was wondering how that stuff works, I was more worried about fumes coming off, my shop "Fog's Up" with weld fumes enough already.
            And if you have to grind off spatter, what did you gain? You will have to primer it again.
            the idea is it keeps stuff from rusting, but there's also cavity wax that does the same thing without the welding problems (since it's added after painting)

Comment

• I use weld through primer, but I wont weld metal with it on. I grind the edges to be welded off first. It's just a PITA to weld that crap.

Great looking floor!

Comment

• Okay wagon guys, there is a vast amount of space between the bottom of the frame and the floorboard - why is the fuel tank skinny and flat rather then a bigger square (e.g. like a suburban tank). I'm asking because you can buy a wagon tank from Tanks.com but you basically have to use a special fuel pump because it's so narrow. Of course, special=expensive and limited options.... the tank is (by memory) 27x38x6, but the space could easily accommodate a 12" deep tank with the same volume.... so what is it I'm missing? way too often I buy something then realize there was something that takes the idea from brilliant to backstock.... or was it just GM using the same part with a relocated filler because that was what fit in sedans?....

Comment

• The 57's tank was not there. Had a "home made" steel one which, to work, had part of the spare tire well removed... I want to remove the rest of the spare well and put in a tank to fit between the frame. The one in it has 2 major flaws, one is it seems to hit the pumpkin on hard bumps, and there is always 1/3 tank left when I run out.. Pick-up does not meet the floor of the tank.. I wonder what is needed to keep acceleration spillage out the vent/cap.. The Buick you got might spill on hard corners,

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    Okay wagon guys, there is a vast amount of space between the bottom of the frame and the floorboard - why is the fuel tank skinny and flat rather then a bigger square (e.g. like a suburban tank). I'm asking because you can buy a wagon tank from Tanks.com but you basically have to use a special fuel pump because it's so narrow. Of course, special=expensive and limited options.... the tank is (by memory) 27x38x6, but the space could easily accommodate a 12" deep tank with the same volume.... so what is it I'm missing? way too often I buy something then realize there was something that takes the idea from brilliant to backstock.... or was it just GM using the same part with a relocated filler because that was what fit in sedans?....
                    I think Deaf Bob hit on it. On my wagon, the spare tire well took up ~8" from the floor down to where the tank started. I also had to replace my rear floor so I deleted the spare tire well and built a 25 gallon tank that fits between the frame rails and hangs down to the back brace on the 9".

Comment

• It's carry over from 3rd seat wagons. Smaller wagons need the spare tire well. You need neither so it looks odd.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• spare is/was on the passenger side outside the frame... should say 'battery box' but it seems odd that GM didn't put the tire under the floor and about the gas tank like they did on the sedans..... ah well, it's certainly a bonus because I can put both tanks and the nitrous bottle where no one can see..... and carry dogs and luggage (quickly). I have enough piece that I could air ride this entire car - to be honest, I haven't decided yay or nay... but with a 20 gallon tank, a 5 gallon methanol tank, and a 10 lb nitrous bottle.... it should be fun....

Comment

• onto productive things
                          borrowing the fuel pump/tank from the Fiat

20 gallon tank.... there is LOTS of room here

then onto fender fitting

slot to make the curve

it's funny, I tried to sell my other plasma.... no one wanted it, but I've been using the heck out of it

now we're getting somewhere

I'm going to end up using the extension I bought awhile ago with the fender... shouldn't have to, but since it's a wagon, the lower body line is more parallel with the ground then a sedan.... ah well, I already had it so it's nice I can use it.

Comment

• Have you considered buying a donor tank from a Suburban or some other GM and using it with the stock in tank fuel pump?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                              Have you considered buying a donor tank from a Suburban or some other GM and using it with the stock in tank fuel pump?
                              aftermarket tanks are so cheap that I really haven't considered it. Keep in mind, though, that the Fiat tank has been sitting for 8 years - so in a sense I am repurposing rather then buying.. when I do the Fiat, the tank will look far different then this one

Comment

• think 73-91 (?) k5 blazers had an optional 31 gallon square tank...
                                it fits between 36" framerails.

Comment

Working...
                                X