Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    think 73-91 (?) k5 blazers had an optional 31 gallon square tank...
    it fits between 36" framerails.
    the bad mamma jamma is the 40 gallon diesel tank.... 82-91, I had an 84 Diesel Suburban that I would fill up once every 1000 miles.... was awesome... then I got my turbo and that's once every 750 miles.... oh wait, I suppose to diesel-bro that number... once every 2500 miles... yeah, that's the ticket

seriously though, 40 gallon is good, the 94 has a 40 gallon tank a well but it's not as advantageous of shape.... that said, aluminum fab tanks are cheap.

that said, if I do large capacity, it will be at least 2 tanks if not 3 (regular, E85/race gas, and methanol - for charge cooling).... but you do have the right idea - my ultimate goal of this car is long-distance cruiser (and blindingly fast)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 2, 2020, 06:56 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I have a 42 or 46gal tank in my 98 K2500 Suburban, I could measure it for you if you'd interested. It's basically a rectangle and fuels from the side.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• In tonight's installment, I keep cutting... and cutting

remove the bottom because it's not correct

cut and fit

chill bar and tacks

flip, chill and tack

line the lip up

put the door on to start the fitting

Comment

• old motor mounts moved backwards

more fitting

starting to consider this problem

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the bad mamma jamma is the 40 gallon diesel tank.... 82-91, I had an 84 Diesel Suburban that I would fill up once every 1000 miles.... was awesome... then I got my turbo and that's once every 750 miles.... oh wait, I suppose to diesel-bro that number... once every 2500 miles... yeah, that's the ticket

seriously though, 40 gallon is good, the 94 has a 40 gallon tank a well but it's not as advantageous of shape.... that said, aluminum fab tanks are cheap.

that said, if I do large capacity, it will be at least 2 tanks if not 3 (regular, E85/race gas, and methanol - for charge cooling).... but you do have the right idea - my ultimate goal of this car is long-distance cruiser (and blindingly fast)
            I still have the stock 31 gallon tanks out of my Suburban(I put a 40 in...), complete with the TBI sending unit, if you want it, its yours.
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
            1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
            2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• I appreciate the offer, but I'm not a fan of used tanks. In this case, there's the other problems of fitting the other cells and that the pump is for TBI pressures not TPI pressures. Thanks for the offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                I appreciate the offer, but I'm not a fan of used tanks. In this case, there's the other problems of fitting the other cells and that the pump is for TBI pressures not TPI pressures. Thanks for the offer.
                while that it is true the pump pressures are off, it's also true that all of the hard parts of a fuel pump swap are already done in this case. if nothing else, it would be great for mock up, but I won't try and twist your arm into taking it.
                "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

while that it is true the pump pressures are off, it's also true that all of the hard parts of a fuel pump swap are already done in this case. if nothing else, it would be great for mock up, but I won't try and twist your arm into taking it.
                  I appreciate the offer - and this does fit within my goal of giving people what the options are....

Comment

• It took at least a month, but got it

I'm not complaining, I suspect that I lost the stand; not that they didn't pack it - and they sent me a replacement for free (thanks SpeedMaster).

and the project stack. I had to oil change the Colorado so space needed to be made

Comment

• in the interest of being public about tricks.

The reason I pinned the fender on and haven't welded it in place is because it takes me a couple days to decide whether or not I like it. Right now, the sides are not the same; however, I like right side where the bottom edge moves up to the bumper - stock, it's flat to the bumper - so I'll probably be cutting the other side to make it the same as this time (which is not the same as GM built it).

Comment

• I call these, "I'm not all Warm And Fuzzy about this yet" moments......
                        So like you, I let it sit for a day or week, some time later, a "Six Beer Solution" will arrive even in a Totally Different Direction!! And you will be asking yourself, why didn't I think of this in the Beginning!!

I even have a "Thinking Chair" out in my shop Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0295.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	756.4 KB
ID:	1264212 .

Comment

• I should put a chair in the shop, however, having flammable things near me in the shop is a bad, bad idea

Comment

• Van seat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Van seat.
                              I had one, used it in my old 54 Studebaker as a seat.*

*and again, if you wonder at the scarcity of the 2nd row of Astro Van seats.... yeah, sorry - it seems whenever I figure out something fits for another purpose they instantly go from "get it out of here" to "plated in gold by Picasso" pricing.

Comment

• Lol. True, got an old Econoline seat outside a trailer, the upholstry is basically gone but is comfy.

Comment

Working...
                                X