No announcement yet.

Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday, mostly I went to Portand (3 hour drive a direction) to visit my parents and pickup a couple things
    tires

and a Craigslist motor

bad story behind that motor - it isn't what was promised (bad rod, not bad headgasket, not L67).... ah well, it was the 2nd or third reason to go

anyway, on to more pleasant things.... welding and grinding
    rust converter

final fit

tacked

with no way to get behind the piece, old screwdrivers make great pullers

welded but low

with a bit of convincing, straight

now body work
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• while the glue is drying on my hate to the next generation
      I'm working on the hate from the last generation.... why, GM, did you seam seal these points? oh yeah, because you knew you'd be reading about it about now....

cut a new piece

then fit - but first now that has to dry (the dykem)

I thought I had a bunch of holes to fill... nope, just bad spot welding so when I do the body work, a touch of spot fill and it's fixed (yay me)

and back to the other corner with some CAD work

Comment

• carrying on

match and weld

outside of a bit more grinding, and one more weld on the window edge, this side is done with metal work

of course, there's a bunch left on this side

Comment

• I didn't do much (or I did a lot depending on how you look at it).

what I did was this

to do that required wiring this

and that was done after helping my electrician friend fall a tree at his cousin's house.... he would have wired without the help, but I would have missed them trying to squish the cousin's kid... or maybe I should say, the kid would have gotten squished

the full backstory. My shop has 1 phase power, my brake, my lathe, and now my shear are all 3 phase and run off a VFD converter... took some wiring to make that happen.

Comment

• oh look, a piece I built but am not going to use....

grind

this corner is a pain, I think the right thing to do is get the brackets on my new bumper, line it up then do this corner... between the hit and rust it's anyone's guess where 'correct' is

more fitting before I realize what I should be doing

more rust repair, this time with lead removal

on the other side, I avoided having to mess with the lead.... not this side

that is a substantial amount of lead

now onto the channel

shrinkage

irony is I knew I was going to have to completely refab this fender... had I the shear I have now, I would have made it from scratch

and fitting the channel

Derek at Vice grip Garage (if you haven't watched it, you should) has a wagon in S. Dakota that I could have bought to get this quarter.... I couldn't bring myself to haul it back and cut it up -

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              oh look, a piece I built but am not going to use....
              welcome to my life! lol! works looking good bud!
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
              1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
              2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• test fit

primier

tomorrow I weld.... got a late start then had to comfort Buick because of thunder and vacuum.... it was terrible

Comment

• I'm surprised that little Andy is unaffected by vacuums and thunder. Both the Standard Poodles, while not terrified, were certainly not fans. Tell Buick I wish him peace.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I'm surprised that little Andy is unaffected by vacuums and thunder. Both the Standard Poodles, while not terrified, were certainly not fans. Tell Buick I wish him peace.

Dan
                    it's funny how different dogs can be. Rue, my yellow lab, LOVED fireworks - to her she would come with a "where's the duck" look (she wasn't the sharpest tool, just the sweetest). My mom's german shepherds loved getting vacuumed (with the beater brush spinning)... they're all great (and weak) in their own ways... love em all.

Comment

• more.... wait for it.... rust repair.... woohooo....

and it's some tasty stuff

cleaned

fit new

and more

closer

now it's just a matter of weld and cool so it doesn't warp

there... how to fix a window channel in 2 weeks and 200 easy steps

oops 201
                      needed to weld some spot welds in place

Comment

• Much Gooder!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• look ma, no fender

hmm, battery tray? but this is a grandpa car batteries go in front

now to put a bit of a bow in the fender

looking close

and even breathing holes

I could have welded it on tonight, but I think I'm going to tow it outside and check the lines... where it is right now that is hard to do

Comment

• Battery box... Save room underhood for go fast goodies!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              Battery box... Save room underhood for go fast goodies!
                              you mean "turbo inlet?"

nothing to see here... just grandpa in his wagon

you should probably get a tune on that Lambo

Comment

• today was primer day for plastic fantastic tew, so this went outside
                                gives me an opportunity to stand back and look at that body line

I still think it's not straight to the ones on the door - maybe borrow a level laser...

now it's swapped spots with the Corvette so I can focus on finishing this (and the Corvette)

Comment

Working...
                                X