Buinicorn the 1964 Skylark wagon sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something you might find interesting.
    This is the rear gate before I put rust converter on it.

note just a little visible rust
    the black areas are where the rust really was

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• WOW!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        WOW!
        keep in mind that was sandblasted, instantly protected with a special coating, then epoxy coated.... funny thing is, though, if I had sanded, primered, then painted, it probably would have been just fine because the paint would seal it. That said, whenever the paint fails, the car would have instantly rusted.

Comment

• Tanks (inc) for the memories

it isn't exactly the same, but close

the fill is different, and it's taller. Most EFI pumps require 7" of clearance to work, the stock tank has 5 3/4 inches.... there is plenty of room over the top, but also this one is not the Buick one... sharp eyes will notice the difference.... the fill is different. Same location, but different....

and if that initial pun didn't get you, you'll have to roll with it (my motor for my bead roller finally arrived)

I've found that reliability has been problematic with the bead roller. Specifically, my wife doesn't want to reliably come help

Comment

• Mine doesn't either. But she's still the love of my life so I'll keep her around. And I don't even have a bead roller.....

Dan

Comment

• when I was trying to find a body shop to paint my Corvette - I learned that shops are far more likely to take the project on if it runs. Makes perfect sense, but never really thought about it. With that bit-o-learnin' I also realized I'm a fuel system away from the Buick being mobile. The biggest missing part was the fuel tank - efi systems require a tank that is deeper then 6 7/8 inches to have an in-tank pump... stock tanks are 6" deep. Fortunately Tanks makes a tank for wagons that is deeper and has baffles for a fuel pump.... just not for Buicks, I chanced it.

I went with a pump large enough for 1000 hp

these things are an utter pain - but I have practice so it should work fine... I hope

painted and cleaned all the stock supports

together

Installed

in other stuff, I put the bumper on to be sure my coves are correct

as a side note, I put the bead roller together it will be used very soon

also reset my shop, soon I'll need to keep 3 cars in here

Comment

• a lot of work, and I'm adding to it - but given the goals; having a strong frame is indispensible
                but first.... paint some drums

I need to either offset the cross member 10" rearward or come up with another solution

I did consider it but it's not the right way - and worse, doing it a better way costs not much at all

plate the frame

use some 1 1/2 x 3 3/16 wall tube for an inner rail

inner frame with the plate behind it. I'll likely connect the two in a couple spots just for S & Gs

need to buy more rectangle tube, but continued tomorrow

Comment

• onward
                  so was going to buy more steel today... nope, not available from my normal supplier .. wonder where I got it?

tacked on the front, just sitting on the rear - the car needs to be on its wheels before I weld this in place

I cut the cross member down and reinstalled it (just sitting there for the moment)

Thursday picture

Comment

• silver.... it hides many sins and it looks good with many, many colors

Comment

• I put MP&C's advice into practice

oops

might as well weld the braces in while it's apart

I only had to cut 4 bolts... those should be fun to fix

I do have to drill the holes, but it's so much easier when the plates are tacked in place

Comment

• Did stretching the welds help? Seems like it ought to.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          Did stretching the welds help? Seems like it ought to.

Dan
                          it got rid of about 1/2 of the dent (near the weld)

Comment

• BONDO!!!!!!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              BONDO!!!!!!

Dan
                              not yet.. I'm not a pro, I'm not paid by the hour to do this, and making metal move to where I want it to go fascinates me.... eventually, sure, but since this is my hobby; I have time to keep learning.... fun thing is most enjoy watching the process so it's a win win (unless you want the car done, then there's nothing I can do for you).

Comment

• Actually, it's fun seeing you stretch and shrink metal. Then there's MP&C - wish I knew 1/3 of what he knows.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X