Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the frame is back... no picture of that.... tomorrow... however
    looks excellent

well, except.... story time. I figured I'd save money by having the parts blasted then powder coated at the same place. I trusted that the frame was fine, but I had very clear instructions that I needed two pieces back to do some rust repair before they actually coated them....
    well
    now we know what powder coated rust looks like

in their defense... they immediately owned up to it and said "looks like we provided a free powder coat primer"... so tomorrow I metal work these and hopefully get them back on Friday (yeah, sure that's going to happen) to the powder coater... the look on his face - I really did try to avoid this, when I told the owner - he was like "right, right" and inside (to get distracted, I guess), then I told one of the ladies who works in the office.... alas, nope.

The biggest issue is I'm stacking stuff on stuff so I need to get the frame at least assembled enough to set the motor in place so that I can form the parts.... ugh, maybe Anthony will be here this weekend to learn some metal work.... so that'd be cool
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• frame pictures

motor for weight purposes

Comment

• move the motor mount to the right holes

start on CAD for the repair... find out my shear isn't working... ugh

start assembling the front... motor mounts are first because the nuts on the back of the motor mount are behind the lower control arm

assemble the rear

ball park alignment

Comment

• finish up the front then onto fuel lines

and the pile of AN spares

about the only thing I'm missing is a pressure regulator. I am oversizing the lines for future proofing...

Comment

• Time to stack the pieces again

not perfect but close enough

then onto metal work
            the core support is rusted under the battery tray

chop chop

weld weld

looks lots better, also has strength

I won't make it perfect but it's going back to the powder coater so it will look pretty decent

they were supposed to return this and the inner fender blasted so I could fix then they could powder coat... that didn't happen, oh well
            Inner fender has the same issue

this won't be easy but also it doesn't have to be perfect because the air intake is going straight through this area.

Comment

• rust repairs
              bend to fit

weld

I overlapped the weld.. stronger, easier

right shape-ish

even close to what it was before... there is some artistic interpretation in the part

weld captive nuts in core support

make core support pretty

Comment

• fuel line

hmmm... adapting to fit doesn't work...

Comment

• hardware store raided

the best purchase, ever

still waiting for a couple fittings, but closer

pressure regulator in place

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say there's not quite enough room for that one fitting (on the transmission)

Comment

• time to complete the fuel system

today's arrival

filter placement verified

lines made

a trick to keep from fraying the black covering

Comment

• I love the tetris of instructions.they don't tell you. like this?

nope, like this

and installing

I think the repair turned out okay.... quite literally no one will see it

too wide - it's from when my Corvette had the stock front suspension

moving forward

the next thing is a radiator...

Comment

• radiator is ordered
                        Time to get the floor done so I can paint then put the body on the frame forever

fit

more fit

just welding left

Comment

• looking at my pictures tonight, there really isn't anything 'new' - but I think I'm going to take a different tack, the left side will have a nitros bottle, right side a ethanol tank and battery - but I was going to build the box in - I think the better choice is make it flat then form some boxes built especially for the various things....

more likely I'll tuck the bottle in further to the fender.... my 'goal' with this car is do Rocky Mountain race week or such - but this would be home and race car... so comfort it going to happen and sleeping in the back as well....
                          which means as wide as possible.... I actually hope to drive this to SEMA this year....

now all I need is motivation.... seems we might be moving at about the same time as SEMA - so the window to get this done is pretty narrow.

Comment

• metal work

2/3rds of it is done

minus a little bit
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 10, 2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• That's what I love about making parts that you can't buy... 2/3 of it is done, leaving just the other 95%!
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                                That's what I love about making parts that you can't buy... 2/3 of it is done, leaving just the other 95%!
                                the only math I use is statistics.... in a sentence, my car is 2/3rds done at a 95% confidence level.

for those don't lie with numbers (statistics).... 95% confidence level means it's roughly 68.4% done.

Comment

Working...
                                X