• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the basic shape is done....
    Inner fender

a bit of filling left

inner panel

I doubt I'll weld this fully - the biggest problem this car had was water got in at the window and pooled in the inner fender until it rotted away...

That said, a bit more welding and I can paint the underside, and sound coat the inside... then wire it, then it can move under its own power.... then the Corvette, then this body/paint.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Did I say this was a solid car? well, it is now

so time to take it even further apart.... the driver's side doors haven't been removed - and the rear left doors ... well, they fought.
      if you're counting, only one of these came off as intended

I love heat

I win

I need to strip the rest of the shell. do some minor clearancing, fix a couple small spots then get to coating

Comment

• Dang, Aaron - I admire your productivity! And I like heat, too.

Dan

Comment

• more coloring in the lines
          for those who wondered what the bolts I removed looked like to get undone..

a box

looks like another warranty is going to get its feelings hurt

for those wondering... the 64 Buick support is different than the Chevelle

now it fits

in other news, starter is bolted in and the converter is as well

and revisit something... where the dark spot I heated to fix oil canning.... it worked! I really didn't get it that warm.. ~ 200 degrees, maybe... I put a block behind then heated it briefly... worked great
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 13, 2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            What size are those rear rollers?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• 275/50 15
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 14, 2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• outside of today's shenanigans with my FJ40, I did other things
                first was get the steering column out ... that was a lot more pain that I was expecting

then came the yoyo of up and down to clearance the floor for the 4L80e. I refuse to cut and add metal... so I heated and banged

banging, round 2

round 3 (keep in mind, up and down)

what needs clearance - the cooler fittings

and took the wiper box off the firewall (it is seized solid)

Comment

• well would you look at what I found

someone had a book, copied the pages, then bound them into a reference manual. Whoever did this, you're a legend, a hero, and savior of the universe.

all is not 100% happy, though, because the copies are not all very clear. That said, it is more than good enough for me
                  picture of blurs in the shape of words

frame got rolled outside and covered because the most hateful task is ahead

cleaning the underside

and, of course, welding (until I ran out of gas)

once this is done, etch primer, maybe paint? maybe undercoating? maybe bed liner? I honestly don't know yet

Comment

• new tool. do I recommend? maybe. It's about as powerful as an air die grinder - the straight kind. So it is useful, but keep in mind I punched one hole with it and did the rest with my larger Makita..... which is dying because I use it to smoke coming out - and it keeps working but the writing is on the wall for it (and my Makita sawzall)

these were done with the Makita - this is the rear-most mounts on the car and both were rusted solid - so no choice but to cut replace the nuts and weld back (when I get my nuts)

I can't imagine why GM made this nut-holder so complex

this was done with the new tool

finished welding the battery box

the rest of my evening was a fan-favorite wire brush the dirt off the underside

I weighed it, 10 lbs of dirt

tomorrow a bit more cleaning then likely put the body back on because the motor may be ready for my Corvette.... I need to get it out of the shop because the next parts of the Buick are dirty in both dust and overspray

Comment

• Rust repair is a PITA but it's very gratifying

Comment

• well, this goes to the back burner again for a bit.. but first, got the trans dipstick then reassembled the car

Comment

• SBG<
                          your post of the 18th, that book is a GOLD MINE !!!
                          And the reason some of the pages are Funky......Most of Those books and original pages were 14x17, and must have been reduced
                          on the copier.
                          Continue On Dude, You must have a Large Wallet and a Understanding WIFE for all these Great Projects

Comment

• I have a factory service manual for my Fiero, it's a godsend, I don't know what I would do without it
                            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                            1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                            2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• and back to fixing holes

first hole

second hole... the metal was contaminated with something - probably lead

brazing worked

Comment

• and more hole welding

some welded up

Comment

Working...
                                X