• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    ring gap question answer

top gap is currently .018 bottom is .019, I need them to be .020 top, .022 bottom
    Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    One inch snow event?
    we have a foot on the ground.... there was one year where everyone south had snow and we had nothing, this year is the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    One inch snow event?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    tonight's fun.... tighten crank bolts

check the rings.... .018 and .019 2nd.... need to file fit to .020 and .022

which stops that because my filer is broken....
    how I keep the rings square

got stopped now waiting for parts that may or may not arrive on Thursday (we have a snow 'event' - which usually means nothing gets delivered)

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    ring gap question answer

top gap is currently .018 bottom is .019, I need them to be .020 top, .022 bottom

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Pistons are coming out nice from the carb cleaner

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    This is probably a hit piece for that hard-hitting McSquatch reporting, but since reporting starts here.... the machine shop put arrows on the main caps.... and put the arrow the wrong direction on one.... while I'd get that mistake on any of my Buick motors... on an LS? for those who don't know, the cap number is cast onto the driver's side of the bearing cap.... for a shop that was so concerned about .001 taper, this seems a bit... well, odd.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    For giggles maybe you can look at end gap on the old rings? Might be interesting to calculate how many hundred thousand miles would be required to open them up enough for serious boost?
    can't, I don't know what ring came off what piston... that said, HR or similar magazine did a turbo build on a used 5.3 where they reused the old rings - and filed them open wider. This motor will get a turbo, so the new rings will be opened up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    For giggles maybe you can look at end gap on the old rings? Might be interesting to calculate how many hundred thousand miles would be required to open them up enough for serious boost?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    one of the videos I watched used carb cleaner to clean the pistons... as I'm not thrilled with the solvent method, here we go

then time to knock cam bearings in place... what a pita

then slid the cam in place

and set the crank in place....

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    They look wider, but it appears the oil passage hole is larger too maybe?

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    update .... compare the new cam bearings to the old.... thinking perhaps someone noticed there was a problem beside me
    Just a bit wider, eh? possibly not enough surface area to maintain the oil wedge required to prevent the chattering....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    update .... compare the new cam bearings to the old.... thinking perhaps someone noticed there was a problem beside me

another coat of paint, I'm giving the paint a good chance to set up (it has been kind of cold for painting) but plan on slapping this together 'next'

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    yep, rod goes in those holes to guarantee they stay up...

washed pistons today

painted the block Buick red

it will get another coat tomorrow - to preserve the paint...
    push plastic down onto the paint (to keep the air off)

then smack the lid on

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    There is a joke on sloppy mechanics never look at the cam bearings or they will be bad.

I thought the holes were there to insert rods hold the lifters up to do a cam change with out pulling the heads?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X