Truck's New Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck's New Paint

Truck's paint is failing all over, the result of 15+ years in first Florida and now NC protracted sun exposure (see pics). Guess I should have used a higher SPF on the old boy. So I'm thinking about how much effort that takes, especially with most of my Summer going to cancer treatments. So Gene, the guy at the paint store (Single Source here in Wilmington) put me on to Harry, a guy who does this for a living though without hanging out a shingle.

So I dropped the ol' boy off along with the paint and we'll pick him up in a couple of weeks all new and shiny. More or less, a new experience.

Clear coat has clearly given up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	1162499

And the LF fender.

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1162500

These are the worst of it but there are a few scrapes and bangs here and there and Harry will cure them all. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

Dan

painting without hacking, I like the concept.... maybe when I'm rich.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Going back with the same colors or something different? Glad to see truck getting some love.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Same colors. And SBG - maybe when you're old! The price is between MAACO and a real body shop and (looking at Harry's work) so is the paint job. Perfect.

Dan

Comment

Add some faux patina'd lettering to the doors, and clear it for the retro look!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I HATE patina. Just an excuse for someone too lazy to paint their project. (Sorry - I was there "in the day" - no one had a patinated or primered car unless it was temporary and they were saving up $$ for paint.)

Nope, I'll take shiny.

Dan

Comment

unique pattern on the fatty fender flare.

I blame acrylic. I experimented with a subaru tin can. the car will gut from inside out before the paint won't fail.
              extreme urethane. High voc, kitten killer, wahtever.

anyway, that paint does the same thing all the way to maine. My GMC roof looks like your fender.
              black primary.. needs a tough top coat.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It's interesting. I back into the driveway which exposes the driver's side to the most sunlight and if I had to guess, so did the Florida owner. Cooked the clear for sure - the other side is in pretty good shape.

Dan

Comment

This thread is not dead. Me and Truck made it to Florida without a hitch (well, actually the hitch IS there but no ball receiver) and the new paint looks great. If I was going to go all anal on it I'd block and buff from the lower body line down but it's great as is for a nice daily driver. I'll try to get out tomorrow and shoot and post some pics but I'm still getting settled in here so there hasn't been time.

Dan

Comment

Man, that's a great truck. I don't often say that about that generation of Dodge pickup, but I remember some of the on-ramps and cloverleafs on the way down to Ohio. With the work you had done, it felt great pulling through the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I HATE patina. Just an excuse for someone too lazy to paint their project. (Sorry - I was there "in the day" - no one had a patinated or primered car unless it was temporary and they were saving up $$ for paint.)

Nope, I'll take shiny.

Dan
                      I was just stating that your trucks as mine have earned their scars, and I appreciate your opinion as well.... I just believe a real patina is cool when preserved rather than the fiberglass with airbrushed rust and patina with gloss clear over it!
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; June 29, 2017, 07:08 PM.
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Patrick - Fake patina is The Worst! I mean, let's paint a vehicle so it looks like new than mess it up with an airbrush. I also don't get "distressing" furniture unless you're blending a repair.

But to each his/her own as long as I'm not paying for it. Just not my cup of tea.

I'll run out with the camera and take a few shots.

Dan

Comment

Here's the promised pics, shot in the parking lot at Third and Main. In the first pic you can see the exit gate from the lot so I guess I now live in a gated community. La-de-dah!

The quarter that had the paint burned off of it:

Name:	IMG_1624.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	1165114

And the formerly funky front fender:

The little dots are bug guts - bound to happen.

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	1165115

And an overall from the side:

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	1165116

With the other cars in the lot I couldn't get exactly the same angles as in the "before" pics but you get the idea. I'm getting "thumbs up" from other drivers now. I don't live for that but it IS nice!

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; June 30, 2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

It is shiney!
                            I like it, hate "patina"!!

Comment

looks really good, Dan.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X