No announcement yet.

project 55 belvedere gasser--"hell's bel"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pic the wife sent.... weight not on it yet as the u-bolts are just loosely assembled
    for the side-to-side adjustments. but she should clear by 1/4 inch, might need to
    try the deafbob approach and roll that lip--or trim it back halfway. we shall see....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2803(1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1204255

Comment

• rolling the lip is probably a very good idea.. I'd hate to cut down a tire...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• rolling fenders on a post-90s car isn't a big deal because they're light steel and plastic. Doing the baseball bat routine to an old car runs great risk of destroying the quarter panel because that large, flat space will show a mule's foot or kink quite clearly.... cut, don't roll
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• 64 Galaxies and older get heat and rolled up in sections then bolted.
          Newer stuff just gets hammered.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	p31158_1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1204408

don't rush it, a bit at a time works best....

Apply a bit of heat with a heat gun to soften the paint a bit and prevent cracking.... not foolproof, but, have seen some good results this way....
            Last edited by silver_bullet; June 10, 2018, 06:35 AM.
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              https://www.eastwood.com/ew-fender-r...SABEgJEIvD_BwE

Click image for larger version

Name:	p31158_1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1204408

don't rush it, a bit at a time works best....

Apply a bit of heat with a heat gun to soften the paint a bit and prevent cracking.... not foolproof, but, have seen some good results this way....
              I have one of those.... it's really not tough enough for 50s steel.

Comment

• thanks for the tips guys. ive done them before, had good
                results cutting 'slots' every few inches and then hammer/dolly
                in sections--but thats also just more places for rust to start.
                . yes, that old metal is WAY tougher than the newer stuff,
                and yes carefully, carefully, carefully, L-Y is a necessity as its
                easy to get a little overzealous with the hammer and not realize
                it untill...oops... son of a..............

Comment

• so the new plan is f@ck the deadlines and moving--ill burn that bridge when i get to it.
                  im going to do as much as i can before then- i mean, even if the 454 motor is just sitting in
                  it nowhere near ready to run, at least that means i dont have to pack/ship/store the block...

i already wont have to pack and store the rear axle, rims and tires, etc....as they are on the car.

so yeah. full speed ahead, d@mn the torpedoes.

my plan of attack when i get home is--
                  1) get rear end totally finished/bolted in. ladders and all. brakes later.
                  2) pull original motor/trans. hose down engine bay. rattle can the heck outta it.
                  3) straight axle front while motor/trans out so i got extra room to get in there & welderup.
                  4) finish 454/muncie combo and drop in, weld/bolt down.

then the rest as time/funds permit. still dont know where we are going, but somethings gotta give
                  one way or the other. till then i say business as usual, d@mmit !!!

Comment

• ok, im stuck in maui again till the 17th, but i did manage to get
                    the 12 bolt bolted in, centered and pads tack welded. going to
                    try hang the ladders when i get back, then start looking at pulling
                    the stock motor/trans.....

Comment

• keep plugging!

Comment

• Keep hammerin' you'll eventually get 'er nailed!
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• AND i just scored some 70" long (yikes !!! ) ladder bars from a crewcab 4x4
                          for $200 in maui, with all the bolts/brackets/rodends/etc...
                          gonna ship em out monday and fly home tuesday nite.

if those suckers dont lift the front end with a 'portuguese tunnelrammed'
                          468 and a 4 spd then id be REALLY suprised.

so, top bar parallel with ground at rest? somebody smarter please school me
                          on how to set these big b@st@rds up.....

Comment

• BBR has set several of those up on his Ranger then the Mustang.... he also blogged it here, go to the start of the Ranger thread, it's there somewhere.

Comment

• i searched for--

ranger

BBR

ladder bars

a combination of the above
                              but cant find shiznit....

Comment

• Here Ya Go Buddy!

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X