Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

yes this!!!!!

God gave you fat to protect you when you fall.... and you do fall, a lot.
    well i aint gonna say you lying....

Comment

• YESSSSSSS
      got the other 4 pistons/rods in, and oil pan.
      next up-- cam, timing cover, then heads.....

Comment

• so major bummer--the isky cam i want is 6 months back. might just have
        to sub "the next closest" cam, which is looking like a lunati voodoo number 5
        ( 284/292 - .572/.590 - 110 ) which im sure will still be super gnarly.

its hard NOT to get 500hp out of any decently built big block of any make
        (460 ford, 440 mopar, 454 chevy, 455 B.O.P., etc....) though we all have
        our 'favorites' and give the other guys good natured grief.

and im sure even if i make "only" 300-400hp, with big block torque and
        a 4spd + a 3.73 rear gear, it will still be a BLAST to drive no matter what.
        Last edited by fatguyzinc; June 26, 2022, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
          If i make "only" 300-400hp, with big block torque and
          a 4spd + a 3.73 rear gear, it will still be a BLAST to drive no matter what.
          Truth.

Comment

• Comp will grind a cam to whatever specs you want. Delta Cam will too.... when I ordered mine, it was maybe a week to get it
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Comp will grind a cam to whatever specs you want. Delta Cam will too.... when I ordered mine, it was maybe a week to get it
              had comp grind me a custom cam for the 500 cad motor a few years back.
              when it came in, it was ground on a 112 when i specified and PAID FOR a
              108 LC.

there response was they "dont think the motor will like the 108, so we did it on a 112."

so, yeah. never using comp cams again.

just emailed delta, thanks. lets see what it costs, the 288-292 / .572-.590 / 110 lunati
              voodoo number five is $202.99 with cam and lifters, and amazon delivers free.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post

Truth.
                yeah, it amazes me how nasty ANY make of big block can be even with a
                somewhat mild build. easy to get 400-500hp on a flat tappet hydraulic and
                it will still have a daily driveable attitude and the reliability of a rock....

couple that with a 4spd and zowie... i mean, im 100% sure it would be
                faster in the 1/4 with a 2800 stall th400, but the 4spd makes it FEEL
                really nuts. and its all about the smiles per mile to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

had comp grind me a custom cam for the 500 cad motor a few years back.
                  when it came in, it was ground on a 112 when i specified and PAID FOR a
                  108 LC.

there response was they "dont think the motor will like the 108, so we did it on a 112."

so, yeah. never using comp cams again.

just emailed delta, thanks. lets see what it costs, the 288-292 / .572-.590 / 110 lunati
                  voodoo number five is $202.99 with cam and lifters, and amazon delivers free.....
                  and here, kids, is why I give people at least 2 options.... some people just can't hang with one... I like the folks at Delta Cam, first cam they ever ground for me, coincidentally, regrind of a cam for a 472..... went from mild to nasty jet boat motor....
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

and here, kids, is why I give people at least 2 options.... some people just can't hang with one... I like the folks at Delta Cam, first cam they ever ground for me, coincidentally, regrind of a cam for a 472..... went from mild to nasty jet boat motor....
                    I've had great luck with Delta, too. They did the cams for my Chevy 250s.

Comment

• well, with shipping and a custom grind im looking at close to $600-- so at $202
                      with cam and lifters, plus free shipping looks like the voodoo number 5 by lunati
                      it is. oh well, thanks for at least trying to help, SBG.

as i said, with an advertised 288/292 - .572 / .590 - 110, im SURE it will be just
                      fine, idle like a prostocker, pull hella hard to 6500+rpm, and in flat tappet hydraulic
                      be daily driver reliable. yes i looked (again) at converting to roller, but like always
                      by the time i got the retrofit lifters for the MK-IV block, cam, special length pushrods,
                      springs, etc i was looking at over $1000.

$202 is a lot easier to stomach. just gotts ta make sure to run zinc additive in the oil.

Comment

• cam showed up today. got the gear drive, timing cover, and gasket--just need bolts!
                        also got the balancer, want to install now but gotta go maui again wednesday. yay.
                        so im crunched for time. probably install it when i get back home.

once thats done, heads go on and then i swing it in and start measuring for the
                        mounts, header location, etc.....
                        Last edited by fatguyzinc; July 11, 2022, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• well, mom pilled another fast one. was "supposed" to
                          go home to oahu tomorrow night, when i asked about
                          my ticket today mom was like "oh--was that tomorrow?
                          i never made the reservations....oh well, i guess you
                          can go home NEXT wednesday night...."

so it will be at least another week before im home and
                          can cram in the cam. dang it.

Comment

• Bummer.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Bummer.
                              yes sir.
                              indentured servitude--it aint all its cracked up to be!

Comment

you said "dropped"... I cringed
                                I did too ...

Comment

Working...
                                X