No announcement yet.

Trailblazer SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine #3 (including the one GM put in there in the first place).

A couple of shots: Note that it's on a stand as I plan to check this one over carefully before I install it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1759.jpg Views:	1 Size:	291.9 KB ID:	1182987
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1760.jpg Views:	1 Size:	302.6 KB ID:	1182988

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1762.jpg Views:	1 Size:	278.3 KB ID:	1182989

And a close-up of the boo-boo. I'll grab a head from one of the other engines and swap this poor thing out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1761.jpg Views:	1 Size:	240.7 KB ID:	1182990

At least I have a large selection of these kind of parts! I plan to dig into this tomorrow.

Dave's out for a test drive in the Subaru and all looks, sounds, and smells excellent (so far - don't want to jinx it.....). We'll look it over tomorrow and assure that all is OK for the drive back to Texas.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 15, 2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

The SS is back in the shop (again.....) and now it's time to do it to it. I THINK it'll be a lot faster now that I know where the boobie traps are hidden.

Dan

Comment

This SS project is jinxed. Engine #3 needed a cylinder head (see above) but when I got the broken head off (no big deal) there was a nasty water stain in cylinder #1. My guess is that the engine was stored outside though I can't prove that. As you guys know, this is VERY significant and does not make me happy with this engine. On Monday I'll call the rep from the supplier and send him pics so he can get to work on a solution.

Head off. Note that #1 is at TDC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1763.jpg Views:	1 Size:	316.1 KB ID:	1183081

Water stain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1764.jpg Views:	1 Size:	187.0 KB ID:	1183082

And the deck all cleaned up. With #1 at TDC I didn't see the damage until I started rotating the engine to make sure everything was clean.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1765.jpg Views:	1 Size:	278.0 KB ID:	1183083

Some of the other cylinders are a bit stained but not nearly as bad as #1.

I'll start pulling dead Engine #2 tomorrow and keep the project moving until we have a solution.

Drat and curses!

Dan

Last edited by DanStokes; December 16, 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Starting to sound like you should have just went with a crate?
          Why I like getting running wrecks for transplants..

Comment

That's up to Casey. We'll see what he and the supplier come up with.

Dan

Comment

After strike two I think they should get him one from a running wreck.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                After strike two I think they should get him one from a running wreck.
                Supposedly both engines had been heard running by the supplier. The first one actually ran OK until the oil pressure vanished - don't supposed they could have known that. The supplier said that they've had this issue before with LS engines. I'm not sure exactly where the second engine came from but it was not carefully removed (wires cut instead of the connectors pulled, etc.) and I'll wager that it sat outside for some time before it was shipped to us.

Dan

Comment

The 6.0 in Dad's camaro had some rust in the cylinder when the opened it up. Most came out with a hone. So far it's running. I would expect better but I think it's pretty common.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Also consider these engines are built with tighter tolerances (supposedly)
                    If you hone it, may never be able to run synthetic oil?

Makes me wonder what the derby guys that run these engines do for oil pumps...

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      The 6.0 in Dad's camaro had some rust in the cylinder when the opened it up. Most came out with a hone. So far it's running. I would expect better but I think it's pretty common.
                      Some of the water "stains" are actually etched pretty deeply. I'm not comfortable with putting this in the SS and sending my Great-Grands down the road in it. And I don't plan to take this engine apart unless the supplier wants to pay me to do a rebuild w/machining, etc. (not likely). It falls on them to provide a decent engine as they promised to do.

Dan

Comment

• Slight update: The engine is almost out with about another hour needed. We don't have another engine so I might as well take my time - if there was a rush I'd have finished the job tonight. It's coming out a LOT quicker this time now that I know the drill.

Dan

Comment

• I had the engine out of the capri so many times it really was not a big deal to pull it. Not having hvac helped some. Remove carb. Un hook wiring harness. Remove alt and power steering and rad hoses. Drive shaft trans crossmember motor mount bolts clutch cable. Unbolt headers from heads attach chain, lift.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• This thing IS a stinker to get out. I can do Mutt in probably a lazy afternoon or less if I'm in a hurry. Still, it goes faster if you know what to fight with and what you can leave alone. The AllData info (I have a printout) is only slightly helpful.

Dan

Comment

• Like De Ja Vu (I didn't spell that right but have no clue) all over again. ME thought I should just run the pic I took last time but I DID have a brain wave this time.

Note the 2X4 on edge under the front of the trans. There are chassis braces at either end and if I slightly jacked the trans up the 2X4 wedged right in there like it was made for that (it was.....). Holds the trans up with almost no effort at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1183644

And Engine #2 (I started counting with the one GM installed in the first place) on the stand so I can look at the bottom end and see if I can decide where the oil pressure went.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	1183645

We should hear from the supplier tomorrow and see what solution they come up with for an engine for us.

Dan

Comment

• Seems with all the LS junk maybe you should build one from the ground up at a later date if the let you keep sthe stuff for your trouble .May be a carbed version in another Volvo wagon .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X