No announcement yet.

Trailblazer SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK. Back on the road to progress. Casey and the supplier worked something out and we're getting a relatively low mileage Corvette engine ("It's got a Corvette motor in it!") and I'm hauling back the two bad replacement engines. ME and I are heading up to Greensboro tomorrow and we'll get 'er done.

Just a couple of shots of how I spent Christmas. One of the pallets was useless so I modified things a bit and now both sit upright like they meant to all along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	1184176

Lots of tie-down straps:

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	1184177

Notice the horrors of snow here in coastal NC. I shot these at twilight so everything is a tad orange.

Dan

Comment

• Corvette engine .........so is it a 6.0 ? 5.7 ? or a 6.2 all vette LS based engines and I suppose all would run well on the present computer .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• The SS engine (LS2) and some of the 'Vette engines (6.0) are the same other than the intake (or so I've read). Basically, I'll strip the Corvette engine down to the long block, change the pan & pickup (the SS is front sump) and install all of the SS stuff, making a 390 HP instead of the 400 HP that the 'Vette makes. The difference is supposed to lie in the intake.

Anyhow, it's home and sitting in the shop. Pics and more info tomorrow (we got home late and by the time I got it unloaded it was "a day".

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; December 26, 2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• I hate that it's been such a PIA for you Dan.
          It's painful reading, mostly because it's the kind of crap that happens to me EVERY time I try to save a buck. And even sometimes when I don't. :-(

You're a good man Charlie Brown!
          A.K.A. Brian
          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
            I hate that it's been such a PIA for you Dan.
            It's painful reading, mostly because it's the kind of crap that happens to me EVERY time I try to save a buck. And even sometimes when I don't. :-(

You're a good man Charlie Brown!
            Trudging forward! Thanks for the good wishes.

Dan

Comment

• where's the snow?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• We had a TON of it - in 1986 (or was that 1989?). We rarely get more than a dusting and even that is uncommon, just like I like it. Just enough cold weather (which we're having as I type) to keep the bugs down to smaller sizes.

Dan

Comment

• Switching the engine over to a Trailblazer SS-compatible configuration:

As received (other than putting it on a stand):

Note that some stuff, like the alternator, is missing. I had to get the wiring harness off the rear of the engine and to do that I had to pull some stuff to even get it on the stand.

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	1184405

Side-by-side of the two engines. For those keeping score, the one on the right is the Corvette and the left is the original engine that GM put in the SS. You can see that a LOT of stuff is different.

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	1184406
                  A complete '05 Corvette engine wiring harness. It seems like this must have SOME value. I was careful not to cut or butcher anything on the harness so it would be great for someone with "issues".

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1184407
                  After a can of brake clean, here's the 'Vette engine. It wasn't bad to start with but it cleaned up pretty well.

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	1184408
                  And the original engine, mostly stripped. Note that I have to exchange water pumps and I'll also need to swap the front crank pully assembly. Lots of stuff is exactly the same but different.

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	1184409

I had to reassemble my old orange engine stand and now I remember why I popped for the one with the gear-driven turner. Future stands will all have that feature though I rarely have 3 engines on stands at the same time (I also have my spare Mercedes Diesel on a stand). The LS is light enough that it isn't TOO bad to rotate.

Tomorrow it'll be onto the pan/pickup swap.

Dan

Comment

• Forward!

I got the water pump gaskets (the old ones might have been reusable but I'm taking no chances) and the WP is now on the 'Vette engine. I also swapped lots of little stuff and got both pans off. I have a TON of cleaning to do before I install the correct pan on the engine going in the SS.

Trailblazer oil pickup:

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	1184490

And the Corvette pickup. As you can see, they are not at all alike. Not sure on the windage tray yet but it looks OK - the less crapped-up stuff I transfer to the 'Vette engine the better.

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	1184491
                    Inside the pan from the original engine. LOTS of schrapnel. If I was a gazillionaire I'd toss this pan and order up a new one but given reality I'll scrub the snot out of this one. I pulled the plumbing to the oil filter base (in the middle of the oil pan on this engine) as well as the pickup and I'm scrubbing those in the parts sink which I'll follow with a soap & water scrub and then clear water.

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	1184492
                    As a comparison to the pic inside the original pan, here's the 'Vette pan. A little grubby but no shiny bits. Note that this pan doesn't have the extra splash shield (windage tray?) and so would be a ton easier to clean but the pan-mounted tray is riveted in and so will have to stay there as I do my scrubbing.

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	1184493

Last but not least, an overhead view of the general mayhem in my poor shop. Once all of this is either installed in a car or shipped out as the core engine maybe I can find the floor again.

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	1184494

Still, it's a challenge and fun in its own way!

Dan

Comment

• Is this just crud or a hole in the dipstick tube on the Vette engine?

Name:	dtube.PNG
Views:	422
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1184622

Comment

• It's crud (sharp eyes!). I don't think the 'Vette dipstick and tube is the right length anyhow so I'll swap it for the SS assembly.

I got the pan, oil filter tubing (I'll show y'all in a pic tomorrow), and oil pickup all cleaned and they're drying overnight so I can put all of that together tomorrow. Everything looks really clean so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Also got the dampner back on (they are different between the two engines),. I rented the dampner installer from Advance but it will NOT work on an LS. The LS dampner bolt hole threads start way back in the crank (like, maybe 2" or so) and none of the adaptors in the kit come close to working with that. I experimented on the dead engine and found that with light taps I could drive the dampner back far enough to pull it on with the bolt which is just what I did. I hate to tap on the thrust bearing but it really went on pretty easily. If I was going to do more LSes I'd get a couple of dampner bolts from Pick-N-Pull and weld them end to end so I got a really long bolt to pull them on but this is likely my first and last.

Did some other little stuff too as I work toward getting this rascal back on the road.

Dan

Comment

• I know you have done this type of stuff before and more things than many would attempt Volvos with Ford engines,Diesel S10 and more.
                          I just wanted to show you this rough drawing of a tool that I used to use to install dipstick tubes with.
                          It is a piece of black pipe with the side ground out for clearance so it will go half way around the tube, and the bottom ground to the same angle as the lip on the tube.
                          Then you can carefully tap the black pipe in while holding it at the correct angle.
                          If it is angled to high the point on the bottom will dig in to the tube lip.
                          Ask me how I know....

Name:	dtubetool2.PNG
Views:	423
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	1184650

Comment

• Thanks for the tip and I'm sure your tool would work great. Luckily, the LS dipstick tubes are pretty easy to slide out and back in just using your hand - I did that on Engine #2. They rely on a bolt to the head to hold them in place. But I have had them so tight they're almost impossible so I feel your pain and I'll keep your design in mind for the next time I run across one of those.

Dan

Comment

• Breakthru today - you'll see at the end of the pics:

Clean pan!

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	1184718
                              Oil filter tubing, internal to the pan. Note the gaskets and how the tubing runs - simple once you see it. I felt I had to pull that off to clean out the schrapnel.

Name:	IMG_1792.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	1184719
                              And the pan on.

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	1184720
                              Proof that Murphy's Law is still on the books. My finger is pointing at the location for the Corvette dipstick while you can see the SS dipstick installed in the pan. The 'Vette dipstick tube hole is 3/8" (so much for GM metric) which is the tap drill size for 7/16" course. I greased the snot out of my 7/16 tap to catch the chips and tapped the hole part way down. Then I made a plug out of a 7/16 bolt.

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	1184721

And Bob's yer uncle, a plugged dipstick hole. I RTV'd the threads mightily so it ought to seal well.

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	1184722

Last but not least, the engine will celebrate its New Year in the engine bay of a Trailblazer SS!

Name:	IMG_1798.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	1184723

Talk to y'all next year!

Dan

Comment

• In spite of all the trouble.........have you become a fan of the engines design ? I really feel its the best version of the ford and chevy v-8 designs .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X