Trailblazer SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailblazer SS

Well, it's now here from JAX, FL - just pulled into the driveway a couple of hours ago. We drove it on the trailer and it had an excellent set of castanets banging and clacking - the Chevy dealer diagnosed it as a rod knock and they're almost certainly right. The replacement engine is in the bed of Truck and hopefully everything gets unloaded tomorrow.

A couple of pics to get started:

I dropped the trailer and they forked the replacement engine into the bed. I'll remove it with the shop crane.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	1179326

The SS loaded up. We had to wait 'till Casey (my Grandson) got off work so we loaded in the dark. Makes for crappy pics!

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	1179327

As always with that truck and trailer, no drama at all on the drive home. Love that truck! And the trailer has been a trooper, too - though I DO keep good tires on it.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 7, 2017, 07:55 PM.

I like that you keep your trailer color matched to your truck.... it must be difficult finding moss in that shade
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Glad to hear that you had a safe trip! Let the party begin!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        I like that you keep your trailer color matched to your truck.... it must be difficult finding moss in that shade
        The trailer is overdue for a sandblast and repaint - it's on the list. The fenders will be my signature teal.

Dan

Comment

Tonight's progress:

I got a later start than hoped but the engine is in the shop and the SS is off the trailer and also in the shop so I'm ready to hit it hard tomorrow. I expect tomorrow will be the Day of Oil Dry as I start draining stuff. I've NEVER had any luck draining coolant without making a mess - maybe a kiddie pool?

Engine is off the truck. AllData (in other words, GM) said you have to pull the intake to lift the engine - NOT! As the underhood pic shows the rig shown on rear of the engine in this pic probably won't work to put the engine in and out of the SS but I'll make a bracket that comes off the header flange for attempt #2.

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	1179427

And the promised underhood shot. The engine sits pretty far back under the cowl but I think I can work around that fairly easily. They also tell you that the AC needs to be discharged but I think I can pull everything to the passenger's side and let it stay there tied out of the way. If worse comes to worse I'll have the system bled but I really think it'll work.

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1179428

Dan

Comment

Obviously , I haven't heard the truck run but you may look at the flywheel and check to see if it's cracked . I had one that sounded like everything was knocking and going to fly out .
            Last edited by Dan Barlow; November 23, 2017, 05:18 PM.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'll be in there anyway so I'll look. I did a Dodge mini van with the bad flywheel thing so I know what you mean.

Dan

Comment

Nothing pic-worthy today.

As predicted, today was The Big Mess! Casey suggested that I get plastic tub, available at Lowe's or Home Depot for mixing concrete. That helped a LOT but as far as I could tell there was no drain on the rad so it was a "pull the lower hose" kind of thing. The big tub helped a LOT but there was still some on the floor. It's out there draining overnight and hopefully I can finish cleaning up tomorrow.

Before I could get started I had one of my lest-favorite car-guy jobs - take the dead oil to Advance (they know me there) for recycling. I have about a 6 gallon under hoist drain can and it always seems to need draining when it's raining out, like today. A COLD rain at that. Anyhow, it's done 'till the next time.

I aligned the SS on the hoist but it would only go up about 2/3 of the way. I got on with draining stuff then turned my mind to figuring out the hoist, thinking I'd have to call the hoist repair guys. I happened to notice that the reservoir was within an inch and a half or so of the bottom when the SS was as high as it would go. DUH - needs oil. I had a couple of quarts and it works better now but I'll need a gallon tomorrow. I can't gripe as it's been at least 10 years (when I installed it) since I added any.

So the process is underway.

Dan

Comment

Was your hoist filled with oil or ATF? Just curious - mine said it was owners discretion in the manual, in the interest of cold weather use I opted for ATF.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

my hoist is still rocking the fluid that came with it, which was probably the fluid that was installed in it the day it was newly installed in the previous-owner's previous-owner's previous-owner's shop (my lift has commitment issues)

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                      Was your hoist filled with oil or ATF? Just curious - mine said it was owners discretion in the manual, in the interest of cold weather use I opted for ATF.
                      Light Hydraulic Oil. That was recommended and I had to buy something so that's what I bought - the best Advance had to offer. It took most of a 5 gallon can. So I'll scoop up another gallon today. My in-ground in MI used ATF but I think that was by chance. The hoist was used and I called the local equipment service shop and that's what they recommended so that's what I bought - no other research.

I know where the oil went - If you top this one out it hits some kind of overheight pressure relief and spits out some oil when it does that. It took me a while to learn where "full up" happens. Or maybe if the reservoir runs out of oil it spits, too, so I'll keep a better eye on it and make sure it stays completely full. At my height I don't need full up so I rarely need that and when I do I guess I've dumped some oil. The learning never stops....

SBG - bought this one new so this hoist has never slept around if you get my drift. It's not THAT kind of hoist.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; November 10, 2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Looks like I still have a lift cylinder leaking so it may be time to call the pro after all.

But I made progress on the SS. Pics:

Piles of parts. You have to take pretty much the whole front end apart but once I caught on to it it really isn't too bad.

Name:	IMG_1710.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	1179672

More piles of parts. As you can see, the rad, battery, etc. is also holding down the floor.

Name:	IMG_1711.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1179673

The front end looking kinda sad.

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	1179674

And finally, the missing stuff in the engine bay.

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	1179675

I'l still going to try leaving the AC in the car though it won't be easy. The condenser has NO flex line on it so it'll have to pretty much stay where it is. The compressor is buried but I think I can unbolt it. As long as I can pull the engine forward enough before I lift it too far (measurements look favorable) we should be groovy. Worst case is that we drain the freon.

Dan

Last edited by DanStokes; November 10, 2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

hopefully the aluminum allows a bit of flex

Comment

The compressor does have a bit of flex line so I can unbolt that and pull it slightly to the outside - that'll help. But the condenser has to more or less stay where it is, hence the high lift-over.

Dan

Comment

if you need extra room, pulling the water pump and even the timing cover will get you a bit....

Comment

Working...
                              X