European Ford Granada restomod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Ford Granada restomod project

Hi everyone guys. My name is Alex and i am from Moscow, Russia. I'm 21 and i'm very into vehicles, i have two cars, motorcycle and ATV. A few years ago i was a big fan of bikes but once i saw on the road boxy Chevy or Caddy of 80's, it impressed me so much i started to learn everything about American cars, i was lurking on the net for a couple of years and in the end of 2007 i decided to buy a car for a project. As i learned much about such autos i realised that i am interested most in 60s-70s style. There were no real american cars in sale which i could afford with 2000$, they are extremely rare here and expensive. But this just makes them more cool if you own one. So once i saw this '75 Ford Granada for sale, i liked it very much in photos so i decided to look at it. I went to seller and... just did'nt made much talks and forgot to argue about price with thim, i just bought it.

So this is Ford Granada of Europe, it shares nothing with US Granada, it was quite popular in Germany and UK. It has cool 70's styling, awesome interior, RWD, independent rear suspension and a lot of other nice things. Engines were L6 1.7 and V6 2.0\2.3\2.6\2.8. In Africa there were built such Granadas with 302, they were called Granada Perana. Yes, being a fan of American cars i have bought non-American one, but in 70's Euro-Ford started to copy a lot from US ones, this car is made in the middle of Euro and American styles. I began to work on it in my friends auto shop, i lease a place there for cheap. I don't want to keep it stock and i don't like all the things about it, original rectangular lights i replace with four roundies, front fenders are remade. And the most important part of all is what i want to put there a mighty 5.0. Maybe i'll have to put another axle. So yes, i want to make it wannabe-muscle.

Here you are:

This is when i just bought it.

Interior.

Ruuuust!

After welding works.

Primering.

Making a new look for the front.

Now it looks like something like that. ;D

Light are made in MS Paint, but it is very close to what it is will look like, new lights are bought but not installed yet.
    I want to keep it red and paint bumpers in black.

One guy made this pic for me. This is not actually what i want but it's cool.

Your thoughts on my project?

Re: European Ford Granada restomod project

VERY cool! I love that we have Forum Freaks from all over the world, and I think you're the first from Russia.

The Granada is great and your work is excellent. Bringing a car back from rust is a real chore. I used to live in Michigan here in the US and they use LOTS of salt on the roads in the winter, so I know the process well. You are doing it as well as possible.

Your English is very good, as well. I'm always amazed that so many non-English speakers do so well, as English is not an easy language (we have borrowed a lot from other languages and we keep changing this one).

Great to see you on BS

Dan

Comment

Wow.....Great work.....That thing is really cool. I am really digging the lines on the car. How much does it weigh? It could be really quick with a 5.0 and a T-5.....

Way to go dude.

Welcome to the site...Keep us posted on your progress please.

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

That's a cool, alternative car. Well, it's alternative for us in America, but I like it non the less. Keep on posting your progress. Europeans have had different demands for their cars than the Americans did for a long time. We didn't seem to care whether our cars to turn or even stop good, or at all; while Europeans have always demanded that in their cars.

There's a Fifth Gear episode on Youtube, look for General Lee vs. Starsky and Hutch, where the British lady test drives and critiques those famous cars from those shows. It's interesting to see their views on American muscle cars and their apparent lack handling.

I like the body style of your Granada. I remember reading this huge book in the school library called "Cars of the World" that showed the Granada Perana. I always thought it was a different spelling of Piranha. That nasty little fish in the Amazon river.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          I used to live in Michigan here in the US and they use LOTS of salt on the roads in the winter, so I know the process well.
          We have a lot of of salts too, it is eating your car and even your boots.

Originally posted by DanStokes
          Your English is very good, as well. I'm always amazed that so many non-English speakers do so well, as English is not an easy language (we have borrowed a lot from other languages and we keep changing this one).
          Dunno, i find English very easy, i think languages hard to learn are Russian, Finnish, Chinese, etc.

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
          How much does it weigh?
          It weights something around 1.3 tonns. It's not very small and 302 fits easily under the hood.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I wonder if there are any of these in States? I know about one MK2 hearse, but MK2 looks not as cool as mine MK1.

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase!

Your workmanship looks pretty good and it's coming along nicely.

I'm not sure if they're the same car or even close, but it reminds me of the Ford Capris you see in England. Especially with the 4 light front end you made up. Hopefully you can source parts for it pretty easily.

Speaking of sourcing parts...If you didn't want to go with 5.0 power, you could probably source the 4.0 engine (Cologne? Taunus? Something like that, the German engine the 2.8/4.0 is based on anyway) a lot easier; and, with megasquirt and the OHC setups get pretty respectable power without killing the weight bias.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Comment

Welcome to THE site ;).Parts for your Granada will probably be easy to find in scandinavia.Lots of them still on the roads here ;).

Comment

Great job on your car so far. Your welding skills have come in handy it seems. Car is looking great. My compliments on the 4 light conversion. Didn't like the idea until you showed a picture of what you had done. Nice work.

Oh, V8 are great, but remember to check out hot rod parts in your area for what the car already has. Could be a whole lot cheaper to find good parts for what is common around you.
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Welcome aboard. I saw those rust pictures and thought you had your work cut out for you, then saw the after pictures...Very Nice! Looks good and keep the updates coming.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Welcome and thank you for sharing your project with us.
                    I hope you find this site enjoyable and informative - I think it's the best of it's kind on the web.

Your car does remind me of the Capri marketed by Mercury in the USA in the late 70's as I recall. My brother loved them, but they were not around for long.

The welding and metal fab work on the subframe / inner fenders is nicely done - do you have a metal brake in your shop?
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by hauen
                      Speaking of sourcing parts...If you didn't want to go with 5.0 power, you could probably source the 4.0 engine (Cologne? Taunus? Something like that, the German engine the 2.8/4.0 is based on anyway) a lot easier; and, with megasquirt and the OHC setups get pretty respectable power without killing the weight bias.
                      My car was equipped with Cologne 2.0 and manual tranny. And the problems are i can't see any cars with 4.0 here(maybe Ranger have it?...) and there are starting to appear some problems with Cologne parts. Windsor 302 is more popular, highly realible, a lot of parts, tuning, etc. And i want to build a muscle. Muscle goes with 8 pistons.

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                      Parts for your Granada will probably be easy to find in scandinavia.Lots of them still on the roads here ;).
                      Yes, i know. I have seen photos from your annual Ford meetings, you have got a lot of interesting cars. And in Germany there are a lot of them(mostly MK2), i ordered my metal parts from Germany.

Originally posted by milner351
                      The welding and metal fab work on the subframe / inner fenders is nicely done - do you have a metal brake in your shop?
                      Yes, kind of.

What about Mercury Capri, first two generations of them are almost the same as Euro Ford Capri's. We got a lot of Capri's in our Euro-Ford community. But for real, Granada looks different way.

Thanks everyone again.

Comment

First off, welcome to the site!

The sheetmetal between your Granada and a Linc/Merc Capri (the same car as the European Capri 2300, etc.) should be overall close. From the pictures it should be dead-on. At 1.3 tons, a 302/351 would be unreal in that car, just make sure you check or replace the brake lines and check the suspension for weak points.

And I'm about 95% convinced that you're the first Russian I've seen, too!
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Muscle goes with 8 pistons.

He learns quick!

Welcome to the site, you will love it here.
                          Nice work so far, please keep us updated
                          on your progress and don't be afraid to ask
                          for help if needed.

There are alot of folks here with knowlege
                          that you can draw from.

Enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                            The sheetmetal between your Granada and a Linc/Merc Capri (the same car as the European Capri 2300, etc.) should be overall close. From the pictures it should be dead-on. At 1.3 tons, a 302/351 would be unreal in that car, just make sure you check or replace the brake lines and check the suspension for weak points.
                            Sorry, i can't get what do you mean.

"From the pictures it should be dead-on." But all rusted pieces are restoring in my car.

Why such engine is unreal? 302's were put in Perana's, one guy in Belarus putting it in his 4-door(and he has much more experience than i), i saw on YouTube a German who put a Vette's engine there. Everything's nice. Of course all brakes\suspension will be rebuilt.

Comment

He means it will be fun, quick, powerful.

Comment

Working...
                              X