No announcement yet.

New project 2001 Crown Victoria LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good job, whenever I have a new problem, I usually start the diagnosis at the last fix I did - maddeningly that usually is the issue.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Not much new to post, been running the miles on this one. We are using it as a lab rat for our homeschooling group's auto upkeep program. today was basic fluid checks and oil changes. Everyone did well.

Comment

So my wife for my birthday asked me what I wanted. I said I want a 3.55 rear end with traction-lok. She said if you can find it, you can get it. Unfortunately I have been unable to find one. I went to look at a 99 cvpi in a junkyard yesterday, while it did have a 3.55, it was an open diff. So I let it be. I decided to wander and see what else I could find. Lo and behold I found a complete set of HPP rims on a vehicle in the yard. I called the wife and she said go for it. So they came home with me. Now to find center caps and lugnuts.

Comment

My TurboCoupe rear in the 'Stang is a 3:55 Traction-Lok. I don't know what the chances are of finding one but that's another one to look for (guessing you need an 8.8).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            I don't know what the chances are of finding one but that's another one to look for (guessing you need an 8.8).

Dan

99-00 P71 and HPP and Town Car Signature Touring sedans came from the factory with Aluminum Driveshafts, and 3.55 rear end ratios. It's the traction-lok that is hard to find. Those are the direct swap into my era of Vic.

Comment

What spline is the car? Would a 31 spline explorer Trac loc work? I think some of the rangers had 8.8 28 spline Trac loc?
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                What spline is the car? Would a 31 spline explorer Trac loc work? I think some of the rangers had 8.8 28 spline Trac loc?
                Took apart a couple PI rears both were 28 splines

Comment

I love these cars-we put 350,000 on a 96 towncar and as far as I know it is still rolling....
                  67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                  05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Up until about 2005 all Panther platform cars had 28 spline. After that they changed to 31 spline. my 96 Town car I had is still kicking around. Saw it the other day. When I got rid of it, it was around 230k and running like a swiss watch.

Comment

I would start looking under rangers while at the junk yard for a trac loc 28 spline 8.8 I think most will be open 7.5 but I think some had 8.8

that or a V8 mustang
                      Last edited by Russell; February 23, 2019, 11:58 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        I would start looking under rangers while at the junk yard for a trac loc 28 spline 8.8
                        There are actually not a lot of rangers in the yards here from what I have seen. also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the carrier has the tone ring for the ABS sensor. I'm not sure if that would fit in the CV.

Comment

Not sure I know guys put the 31 spine explorer carriers in mustang housing and I think they might have the tone ring? I think the 8.8 is one of the few things that Ford made fairly interchangeable

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

The tone ring can be tapped off, it is just pressed on. I removed it from the 31 spline carrier I put it in my mustang.

Comment

Old and busted vs the new (dirty) hotness. Detail will be coming up shortly. Have to get through my daughter's 16th birthday celebrations. Click image for larger version  Name:	20190308_103216.jpg Views:	1 Size:	698.1 KB ID:	1235982Click image for larger version  Name:	20190308_103429.jpg Views:	1 Size:	833.5 KB ID:	1235983
                              Last edited by Admirall2; March 8, 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

OOhhhh - Pirellis! We have 'em on the HHR and they've been amazing. We've had them for several years and maybe 50K miles (I'm guessing here) and they still look almost new but have decent traction and ride (so they're not just hard). Love them along with the Michelins I've been running for years on Truck.

Looking forward to more pics!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X