Possum Works Iron Maiden Impala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possum Works Iron Maiden Impala

Well ordered rear quarter panels today to start the build, I'll be doing a little interior restoration while my buddy gets the body ready then the AC and suspension upgrade/repairs.
    Last edited by corvettedad; August 16, 2019, 07:48 PM.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

2019 HRPT is closer than you think!
    Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post
      2019 HRPT is closer than you think!
      2019?? We're shooting for this year!

Comment

Ok Perry 2018 is really closer than you think!

Comment

OK, I'm doing a complete disc brake conversion with booster and 2" drop spindles. This the one I'm looking at, there is one other just a tad cheaper maybe $50 but it uses the small GM caliper and 10¾ rotor vs the full-size caliper and 11" rotor. The quarter panels or in and as soon as the initial bodywork is done I'll be starting on the suspension, anyway any comments or ideas on the brake conversion?

Comment

You doing the fronts only right? I get the biggest rotor and caliper you can. Then just rebuild the rear drums and your set.

Comment

How is the Possum coming? You done yet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOCS5bcmMSfzyd02DpAt0wa4TQS-6Cd_7N_fCCn4oQTioWyn-f.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1187579

Comment

Sorry - I just deleted my other post because my reply was obviously wrong! (the D52 caliper has the 2 15/16" piston that I was thinking about)

I agree that you want to run the largest rotor possible with the most clamping force caliper you can find.

I use to run the D52 caliper with an 11" rotor on the wagon and they worked reasonably well. I think that the GM stuff actually runs a wider rotor ~1.00 which might also help dissipate heat build up a little better.

A couple of thoughts / observations from my experience. Check to see if the calipers are NEW or rebuilt in the kit your are looking at. Also try to find out who the vendor is for the calipers. Its a little more work but there are places that will sell a basic kit that includes brackets and hardware which then allows you to choose the brand of rotor and caliper you want to run. It most likely won't be cheaper but it might give you a slightly better package.

Comment

Perry are you changing the wheel size on the front? Just about everything I have read about changing to front disc meant the factory wheels want clear them. Depends on the wheels also which ones you run.

2" dropped spindles $508 with drilled & slotted rotor's as pictured. That's why the guy who we bought the 64 from had those 20" wheels on it when we bought it. The factory 14" wheels wouldn't clear the caliper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	d-17502-343.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	1187615

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...BoCmL0QAvD_BwE
                  Last edited by Andy4639; January 23, 2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I got a pretty plain Nova/chevelle disc kit for my 57.. It stopped good with wide 14's on all corners with stock brakes but is better with the discs, hwever small..
                    With the discs, running 15's up front and 14 in back look just plain silly..
                    Then I have fenderwell headers.. I put chevelle springs up front years ago and got better stance and handling. No more header rub
                    Now I need back spacing, heigth figured out again to not rub the headers.

Your 'Pala is a heavier/larger car and need bigger brakes..
                    I do know you can put stock BOP brakes up front in place of your 'Pala ones.. They take the bigger bolt pattern, if memory serves, stock 'Palas use the smaller bolt pattern wheels?

For derby use, we remove front calipers on our cars.. They stop the rim from turning.. Hard to keep track of rims as we run multi pattern 3/8 plate centers

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, this kit will allow me to retain my 15" wheels, the calipers they use in the kit and the one you pictured Andy use the metric GM
                      ( 80's ) calipers that have been refitted with a ¼ inch larger piston. I found that out yesterday by swapping emails with the company. The 11" rotors are 69-72
                      Chevelle, all available at the parts house other than caliper being modified. I'm not completely sold on it yet I'm still looking across internet for what Alan mentioned, putting together a kit myself.
                      I haven't got to decide today I want have the car back for a few weeks but when I do it get it back it's gonna be on.
                      Last edited by corvettedad; January 23, 2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                        Thanks guys for the input, this kit will allow me to retain my 15" wheels, the calipers they use in the kit and the one you pictured Andy use the metric GM
                        ( 80's ) calipers that have been refitted with a ¼ inch larger piston. I found that out yesterday by swapping emails with the company. The 11" rotors are 69-72
                        Chevelle, all available at the parts house other than caliper being modified. I'm not completely sold on it yet I'm still looking across internet for what Alan mentioned, putting together a kit myself.
                        I haven't got to decide today I want have the car back for a few weeks but when I do it get it back it's gonna be on.
                        Perry

I am not smart enough to know what year your Impala is so this link might not be of much use.
                        But just in case: http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

They have base kits and complete kits.

Wilwood also makes D52 calipers which have dual pistons which might improve brake pad life but the overall area of the two piston is smaller than the single piston GM equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Perry

I am not smart enough to know what year your Impala is so this link might not be of much use.
                          But just in case: http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

They have base kits and complete kits.

Wilwood also makes D52 calipers which have dual pistons which might improve brake pad life but the overall area of the two piston is smaller than the single piston GM equivalent.
                          Thanks Alan, that is exactly the information I'm looking for. My Impala is a 68 and just fit's in their kits which employ the larger GM calipers and a possible upgrade to 13". Now the thought switches from doing the conversion, buying the booster separately, and possibly looking at lowering springs. This is why threw this out for y'all to ponder on, I value all of y'all's opinions and more importantly your experiences already dealing with this. The 68 is a different animal, the factory disc were a mixture of Corvette spindles and calipers with a special rotor and hub so just going to the junkyard is not a viable option. Thanks to everyone for their input, keep it coming if you think of something. I'll be ordering parts in about a week or two.

Comment

Consider also being able to find repair/replacement parts on the road.. 1/4" larger piston may not be avaiable?

My flatbed has bigger single piston calipers than normally sold on those one tonners.. Stops it loaded fine.. For a short time, all I had was fronts and pulling a brakeless trailer made for some fun unwanted...

Maaaaybe KISS?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Consider also being able to find repair/replacement parts on the road.. 1/4" larger piston may not be avaiable?

My flatbed has bigger single piston calipers than normally sold on those one tonners.. Stops it loaded fine.. For a short time, all I had was fronts and pulling a brakeless trailer made for some fun unwanted...

Maaaaybe KISS?
                              Exactly my thoughts and reasoning on the caliper, the website Alan gave me came with the standard large GM calipers ( 70's ) which would be easier to get. Once I found out what calipers came with the other company I wasn't to thrilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X