1966 f250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 f250

My retirement plan was to do a complete freshen up on my old POS truck. I retired a year ago under the delusion that I could get a shop built at my house to under take this project in - 9 months later we bought a different house with a small (32 x 35) detached shop. It has taken another 3 months to get to this point but finally, it is time to start.

Here is the starting point:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1776(1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	1186303
    Last edited by cstmwgn; February 11, 2018, 11:08 AM.

An excellent starting point. But I guess you know that the shop is too small - they always are!

Dan

Comment

Congrats on the shop! Complete freshen up you say? Do tell!

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
        Congrats on the shop! Complete freshen up you say? Do tell!

Chris

That is a very difficult question.
        I don't want another beauty queen but I don't want faux patina either.
        I am still on the fence about doing a Crown Vic front clip for the improved ride and brakes but I don't want to hurt its working capabilities either.

Sooooo
        Frame off - clean everything
        Complete rebuild of the Dana 60 - new clutches, bearings .... Maybe shortened a tad for a little better footprint
        Compete rebuild of the C-6 - maybe adding a shorty GearVendors (really like the one in the wagon)
        All new suspension bushings - urethane
        If I stay with the Twin I-Beam - new king pins
        Brakes - NO CLUE! I am starting to do research now on something better than the 2 piston front calipers I am currently running with the stock rear drums
        Painless wiring harness - complete with all new switches, lamp sockets, connectors - replace everything possible in the electrics
        Complete interior redo - new padded dash, instrument cluster, door panels, seat, stereo
        This is where it starts to go off the tracks! I would like more room - secure storage. Not sure if I want to stretch the cab or put a sleeper in the bed. I also want to have a full 8' - so do I stretch the frame and run a stock box with an "extra cab" style cab or ????? The cab and doors are also the parts that have the most damage - rust in the bottom of the doors and the drip rails.
        In front of the firewall is easy - I will pull the old 460 out and put in the 533 that use to live in the wagon for the initial build. It will be a good test to see if I need to build something a little tamer or if I can go big - just depends on how the suspension handles more power than it has now.

Ultimate goal - I am going to need a truck to do all the things you do with a truck while still being able to spank those silly kids in their late model hot rods!
        Last edited by cstmwgn; January 11, 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

You should be able to do that project in a couple of weekends now that your retired. Right???
          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Wow! I am really loving this! I couldn't find the build thread on your wagon tho... any help? Requesting it for inspiration....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              Wow! I am really loving this! I couldn't find the build thread on your wagon tho... any help? Requesting it for inspiration....
              No build thread on the wagon as it was done (as done as they ever are) before bangshift was around

Comment

Congrats on getting this started. I know it's been on your back burner for a long time.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  Congrats on getting this started. I know it's been on your back burner for a long time.
                  Yeah Ed - this one is going to be very difficult for me! It is very hard for me to "just" freshen stuff up! I am beginning to think I will need to buy Willow a new truck so we have something to haul stuff around with while my POS (your lake truck) gets rehabbed. I got the hood back for the Fairlane so I am really enjoy driving it as my daily driver. This will be a very slow process with all the events on our plate this year, I am not sure how much time I will actually have to work on it. HOPEFULLY, it won't become a Torinio style project that my grand children will have to finish!

Comment

First month update
                    I spent $25 in quarters at the car wash mostly cleaning the underside of the truck. Most of the time was spent lying on my back with my eyes closed spraying hot soapy water at point blank range. I wish I could tell you it was really clean but if nothing else it is way better than it was and will make taking stuff apart a little less traumatic.
                    Next I spent another 2 hours with my traditional heavy mixture of Clorox Outdoor bleach to clean the outside sheet metal - so now most of the pollen scum and mildew is gone.

Here is some documentation on progress:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1868.jpg Views:	2 Size:	908.9 KB ID:	1189611Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1867.JPG Views:	4 Size:	659.3 KB ID:	1189612Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1869.jpg Views:	2 Size:	916.2 KB ID:	1189613
                    Last edited by cstmwgn; February 11, 2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Two bolts and the engine can come out. I suspect I will leave it there for now while I continue taking stuff apart. Need to start on the cab next to get the dash stripped so I can send the dash pad out for rejuvenation.

Comment

Good start! Please keep posting. I bought a pressure washer to avoid the $25 in quarters thing but it doesn't have the power of the commercial units. One time we were having the house washed (ours needs it every other year or so) and I had the pro point his sprayer at Mutt's engine bay - worked GREAT!

Dan

Comment

Great project! I see the Fairlane in the background too.
                          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Here is the starting point:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1776(1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	1186303
                            I like look & the rounded edges... cool truck!
                            '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                            '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                            79 Trans Am project
                            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Good start. You'll keep the shop and yourself cleaner by going to that trouble too...........
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X