No announcement yet.

1966 f250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to see how this one goes....based on the previous projects, this is gonna be awesome!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      Can't wait to see how this one goes....based on the previous projects, this is gonna be awesome!
      And it will run like a scalded dog too!
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

making some progress sorting things out:

I confirmed that Hooker's 6811 headers will work with the A429 heads that I want to use on this build. I have the old set that were on the truck but they are pretty rough. I am talking with JetHot about re-coasting them under warranty. The downside to these is they are only 1 7/8" primaries but hopefully for a low RPM motor that won't hurt it too much.
        Either way not having to build custom headers is a relief for me.

Still on the fence on engine - I have the 533 that I pulled out of the wagon a couple years ago but haven't unwrapped it yet to see if it is in fact still viable. I have a couple bare blocks sitting around that I could use to build a new one. My D0VE bock sonic checks very good so it could easily go 4.440 (+.080) but isn't the best choice for a 4.5 crank. IF I did go this route it would net a 557. My D9TE block didn't sonic check as well so it would be prudent to not bore it more that .030 (4.390) but it does have longer bores so the 4.5 crank is somewhat better suited in it. This combination will yield a 545. I am beginning to think the 545 is the smarter path to go down as pulling engines and transmissions isn't as easy for me as it use to be.

C6 will stay in the truck. The case needs to be replaced but the internals should be viable with all new frictions and steels. I am thinking about going with a shorty GearVendor unit like I have on the wagon. Will need a new shifter as B&M no longer makes parts for the one in the truck now and it is getting pretty old.

I am hoping that the Dana 60 housing is OK. When I put the posi in it a hundred years ago it looked like the bearing races were spinning in their bores. I centerpunched the area and used some red loctite so hopefully it will have "one more" rebuild in it. It definitely needs clutches!

Funny how the powertrain bits and pieces seem so easy to figure out!

I have decided to go with a hydroboost this time around (mostly for valve cover clearance) and confirmed that Talon Hydraulics has a mounting bracket that should work with the truck. That will make the fabrication / installation much easier than on the wagon.

I have figured out which Painless harness I am going to use.

So now I have to start thinking about sheet metal repair / modifications. There is a lot of work to be done in that area and I possesses NO skill or talent to perform what needs to be done!

Last edited by cstmwgn; February 17, 2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

A little more progress today. MOST of the bolts we rung off were through bolts - whew!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1908.jpg Views:	1 Size:	813.4 KB ID:	1190585
          Last edited by cstmwgn; February 18, 2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

THAT will be easier to work on!

Dan

Comment

Love this in every way, I really look forward to following this. Congrats on the new house and shop - not many shops have a cedar lined wall! Neat space.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                ... not many shops have a cedar lined wall! Neat space.
                Well - it HAD an entire cedar lined room with A/C and then another Man Cave room that looked to be the size to hold a pool table. The down side was that left you with barely a 2 car garage - so the interior walls were the first thing to go!

Comment

So now it's a REAL Man Cave!
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

congrats on hitting the front page brother!!
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      congrats on hitting the front page brother!!
                      WOW - I am honored and now somewhat pressured to deliver something worthy.

Comment

This is gonna be fine! Lots of room in there for your big block plan.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Cool project! Be fun to have a friendly drag race my 1966 F250 Ranger with a v-6 Against that Big Block!

Comment

Originally posted by EcoBoostedF100 View Post
                            Cool project! Be fun to have a friendly drag race my 1966 F250 Ranger with a v-6 Against that Big Block!
                            Yeah - I am a diehard 385 series big block guy! It may not be the fastest choice but I suspect it will do fine. We have been talking about upgrading Willow's driver and it seems if we do that an EcoBoost will be our only choice.

Comment

That's the ticket! We like you just the way you are Alan!
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

OK, so at this point things are mostly stripped off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1928.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	1191519

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	744.8 KB
ID:	1191520

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	620.7 KB
ID:	1191521

DANG IT!!!!

I forgot to label where that green wire came from

Name:	IMG_1927.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1191522

This will conclude the majority of the work on this project for a little while. I have order some casters and saw horses to build carts for the bed and cab.

I am hoping to get the wagon back from the paint shop next week so it will be come the top priority to get reassembled and sorted out.
                                I also had to put a heater core in my DD. In order to do that I had to pull the bucket seats and console. Since I had to take the console out I decided it was an appropriate time to repair it. So I am waiting on stuff from the autobody supply store to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X