No announcement yet.

1966 f250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry. Green wires are often grounds (or not.....).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
      making some progress sorting things out:

I confirmed that Hooker's 6811 headers will work with the A429 heads that I want to use on this build. I have the old set that were on the truck but they are pretty rough. I am talking with JetHot about re-coasting them under warranty. The downside to these is they are only 1 7/8" primaries but hopefully for a low RPM motor that won't hurt it too much.
      Either way not having to build custom headers is a relief for me.

Still on the fence on engine - I have the 533 that I pulled out of the wagon a couple years ago but haven't unwrapped it yet to see if it is in fact still viable. I have a couple bare blocks sitting around that I could use to build a new one. My D0VE bock sonic checks very good so it could easily go 4.440 (+.080) but isn't the best choice for a 4.5 crank. IF I did go this route it would net a 557. My D9TE block didn't sonic check as well so it would be prudent to not bore it more that .030 (4.390) but it does have longer bores so the 4.5 crank is somewhat better suited in it. This combination will yield a 545. I am beginning to think the 545 is the smarter path to go down as pulling engines and transmissions isn't as easy for me as it use to be.

C6 will stay in the truck. The case needs to be replaced but the internals should be viable with all new frictions and steels. I am thinking about going with a shorty GearVendor unit like I have on the wagon. Will need a new shifter as B&M no longer makes parts for the one in the truck now and it is getting pretty old.

I am hoping that the Dana 60 housing is OK. When I put the posi in it a hundred years ago it looked like the bearing races were spinning in their bores. I centerpunched the area and used some red loctite so hopefully it will have "one more" rebuild in it. It definitely needs clutches!

Funny how the powertrain bits and pieces seem so easy to figure out!

I have decided to go with a hydroboost this time around (mostly for valve cover clearance) and confirmed that Talon Hydraulics has a mounting bracket that should work with the truck. That will make the fabrication / installation much easier than on the wagon.

I have figured out which Painless harness I am going to use.

So now I have to start thinking about sheet metal repair / modifications. There is a lot of work to be done in that area and I possesses NO skill or talent to perform what needs to be done!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1191522&d=1519590002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1191530

Sooooo.....you really need to find where the green wire went???? IIRC, it goes to the starter solenoid.... but I'm sure your painless harness mentioned above will cover it.... and you probably figured we only looked at the pictures....
      Last edited by silver_bullet; February 25, 2018, 02:15 PM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Another update - I have been building carts. I have the general purpose storage cart done. I still need to finish the cab cart but here is what I have so far:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	726.9 KB
ID:	1193699

So lets start loading it up

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	713.3 KB
ID:	1193700

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	620.0 KB
ID:	1193701

Name:	IMG_1996.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	674.4 KB
ID:	1193702

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	1193703

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	752.5 KB
ID:	1193704

Well - that is all for now. I need to go back to the metal store for some more tubing to build the uprights for the cab cart but most likely won't start on that until we get back from Gainsville.

Comment

I made it to the metal store - bought some more tubing and have it rough cut and ready to be welded. Hopefully get that finished after Easter. Went to Daytona yesterday (3/23) for the spring swap meet and picked up some stuff;

Name:	IMG_2004.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1194744

I also picked up a couple of these.

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	703.1 KB
ID:	1194745

it appears I must be trying to keep up with the Jone's as I now have a truck with 4 doors
          Last edited by cstmwgn; March 24, 2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

'66 Wiring Diagram in the link below!!

I forgot to label where that green wire came from

Name:	IMG_1927.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1191522

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Another update

While I don't recall any trees growing in my bedroom as a child, clearly there is a shade tree somewhere in my past!

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	1196814

Resting on it's new chassis

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	1196815

Now I can start on cleaning the old chassis and figuring out what direction we are going. Recent developments might suggest that this truck will in fact morph from a work truck to a sport truck!

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	1196816

Comment

A working girl posing as a sport truck.....hmmmmm....
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Not much has happened in the last 6 months. The wagon has been pretty demanding getting ready for Cars and Cones, then fixing it when we got back so it would be ready for PowerTour. Not to mention the work needed after PowerTour to get it ready to Crusin the Coast. But now that the weather has turned cold I actually did some more disassembly.

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	789.2 KB
ID:	1221271

The frame and suspension parts need to go off to the sandblaster so I can start putting the chassis back together. Still lots of stuff to figure out - BRAKES are my highest priority right now. I just can't bring myself to running 20s all the way around which eliminates the WilWood Brute Force stuff.

Comment

Nice progress.

What's the scoop on your shop? Looks like it was a house at one time? Not too many shops have textured ceiling in one part and a patterned cedar ceiling and walls in another, lol.

A neighbor of mine bought the ranch style house next door for a wood shop. Its on a crawlspace, okay for a wood shop I suppose. Yours looks like it was on a slab?
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Nice progress.

What's the scoop on your shop? Looks like it was a house at one time? Not too many shops have textured ceiling in one part and a patterned cedar ceiling and walls in another, lol.

A neighbor of mine bought the ranch style house next door for a wood shop. Its on a crawlspace, okay for a wood shop I suppose. Yours looks like it was on a slab?
                        Was thinking it was a fancy shop.. Here it is very rare to see finished walls in a garage much less a shop..
                        Looks like it might have had a corner office?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          ...What's the scoop on your shop? ...
                          No it was built as a detached garage / man cave. When I bought the place there was 3 rooms inside the structure. One was a 12 X 12 FULLY cedar lined room with a motel style A/C unit and the ceiling fan. The other room was 12 X 20 paneled with particle board and appeared to be a pool room. The first thing I did when we bought the place was pull out the walls but didn't do anything with the ceiling or walls.

Comment

No it was built as a detached garage / man cave. When I bought the place there was 3 rooms inside the structure. One was a 12 X 12 FULLY cedar lined room with a motel style A/C unit and the ceiling fan. The other room was 12 X 20 paneled with particle board and appeared to be a pool room. The first thing I did when we bought the place was pull out the walls but didn't do anything with the ceiling or walls.
                            Makes sense to me!

Dan

Comment

I could not more whole heartedly support the "no big wheels on classic vehicle" sentiment. It's sick and wrong. For older trucks, 16" are good! Maybe 17 or 18 if there's no other option (which pushes you into modern looking wheels) but if you can figure a way to put modern truck brakes on the front of this thing, maybe it's worth it.
                              What about swapping this over to a modern chassis? You'd get bigger 4 wheel discs all around, longer leaf springs in the rear, and updated front end as well.

I recently picked up a set of 8 lug conversion brakes for the 49 F3 from TSM. It's probably not enough brakes for you, if you're already thinking your 2 piston front discs are not enough, but for us mere mortals, it's a great upgrade to the 4 wheel drums, which you can't get parts for anymore. Maybe worth looking at.
                              I just drove a 2003 grand marquis back from Florida, in two days, through mostly rain. The improvement of this car over the 1998 I'm used to (with the tranditional parallelogram steering) is very VERY noticeable.
                              I'm not sure about the load carrying capability of the 03 up panther front end - but with all the folks using them, I'm sure you'll find examples with some googling.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I got your message, and Sean is doing some research on your behalf....I'll let you know of anything he finds out!
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X