No announcement yet.

1966 f250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While it has been a long time since my last update - some progress has been made. First of all, I got the 125amp sub-panel installed in the garage by a licensed electrical contractor. Then after the inspector left, I wired in 2 240/50amp welder boxes and 4 double gang 120/20 amp receptacle boxes. Still need to put in the 240/30amp circuits but until I am sure what we are going to use for A/C (PTAC or mini split) that will have to wait.
    With that out of the way, I actually did a little work on the cab

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0663.jpg Views:	0 Size:	676.5 KB ID:	1258967

Not thrilled at all with the fit on the driver's side rear cab flange. I was worried about the A pillars yet the rear flange is proving to be far more challenging!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0664.jpg Views:	0 Size:	571.3 KB ID:	1258968

Passenger side seems much better - but no where close enough to be happy with it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65092.jpg Views:	3 Size:	619.1 KB ID:	1258969

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65093.jpg Views:	3 Size:	543.8 KB ID:	1258970

I think it was Arron that said don't let perfection get in the way of progress - well I will call this progress but unfortunately, I am going to waste some more time making it fit better!
    Last edited by cstmwgn; December 28, 2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• The pics didn't come thru for me. This is a bummer as you always have something worth looking at!

Dan

Comment

• same here Alan...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• How about now?
          Attached Files

Comment

• PICS!!!!

Dan

Comment

• I usually do not get pics but these came thru clear!

Comment

• I see the photos, but I must be missing something.........why are you keeping that seam open? Looks like it could be filled without changing the OEM look of the truck without much notice......
                If you want it to appear totally OEM, another option would be to weld it closed, then make a nicely gapped seam of your own.
                Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 29, 2019, 10:45 AM.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  PICS!!!!

Dan
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Alan, I know your standards are quite high and I truly appreciate your diligence, However, of the trucks I have seen from that era, there were factory originals and restoration with worse panel fit than what I am seeing here! Bravo Sir! Looking forward to seeing how nice this one turns out!
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Thanks for posting again. I have been watching for an update. Keep us followers up to date.
                      Hope our paths cross again this year.

Now a truck man myself DTB

DTB - RETIRED

Comment

• More progress today.
                        Thanks for all the guidance and advice that you guys provided (both publicly and privately).
                        Still needs a little more fine finessing and some more door adjustment (on the passenger side) and it will be close enough

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	694.7 KB
ID:	1259374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	660.2 KB
ID:	1259375Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	1259376

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	630.6 KB
ID:	1259378
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Much more betterer! As some wag pointed out, these guys never did fit very well.

Dan

Comment

• Awesome!
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Update - not a lot of progress. I left the roof clamped for a long time to see if it could get use to being like that.

x

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	625.3 KB
ID:	1274980

x

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	560.2 KB
ID:	1274981

x

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	1274982

x

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	1274983

x

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	1274984

x

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	1274985

In this position, I hope to finish plug/spot welding the body seam across the back of the cab.

The A pillars have tubing inside that is plug welded on both sides of the joint.
                              The B pillar (or the part where the roof originally mated to the body shell) has a strap that is plug welded inside the channel so I am not overly concerned about losing the top. Probably was stupid on my part to use this project to learn how to weld but I am reasonably confident that I have good penetration on the critical joints.

Comment

• I get sidetracked pretty easily nowadays. We did the Deadwood cruise in September (~6,000 miles) so I needed to do some PM on the wagon when we got back. That took a couple of months - well actually I am still waiting for Crower to get back to me about the lifter longevity (or lack there of). After waiting for a couple months for them to inspect and tell me what they thought caused them to wear out so quickly, I went with BAM lifters. They are somewhat new with their claim to fame - DLC coated bushings (bushed lifters). We will see how they do.

Now on to the truck.
                                You can't buy a core support for a 66 F250 with the square inner fender supports, so I had to make some of my own.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1035.jpg Views:	0 Size:	543.9 KB ID:	1289605

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	950.4 KB ID:	1289606

That is all welded up.
                                I also had to rebuild the battery tray as it is not available for this truck. Pretty easy rebuild - cut off the old acid ate tray from the brackets - then weld in a battery tray (sans brackets) from a similar year Bronco and voila - ready to go. Now I have to drill the core support and put rivnuts in but that is pretty straight forward.

Next, on to finding homes for my oil coolers. Previously, the truck had two coolers but no A/C, this version is going to have A/C so I decided to move the coolers from in front of the radiator to behind the headlights.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	553.2 KB ID:	1289607

Using the old core support as a guinea pig

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1046.jpg Views:	0 Size:	679.4 KB ID:	1289608

Prototype cooler mount
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1047.jpg Views:	0 Size:	685.4 KB ID:	1289609

Now in metal - tacked together but not fully welded as I am working from manufacturer's specs and want to get the coolers in my hands before I finish these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1053.jpg Views:	0 Size:	644.5 KB ID:	1289610

Lots of other little stuff going on - measuring, researching, researching, researching ....
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by cstmwgn; March 6, 2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X