Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#minijimmygmc - Wifey's 1990 GMC K5 Jimmy build....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It's definitely no where near perfect, first shot for me at doing paint & body work"

I think this is what the call a "humble brag" now.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      "It's definitely no where near perfect, first shot for me at doing paint & body work"

I think this is what the call a "humble brag" now.
      lol, no, it definitely isn't great, it's OK, but was a good learning experience.....
      So far so good on driving it, drove it to the office yesterday (about an 80 mile round trip) with no issues, have put about 200 miles on it total. Was pleasantly surprised that it knocked down about 14.5mpg driving the 80 mile loop to the office, my 2017 GMC Sierra only gets about 19mpg on that same route (granted I probably average 5mph faster in the newer truck).

Thanks for the compliments, wifey is happy with her new daily driver. Once the AC is charged next week she'll be really happy with it lol.

Comment

Who needs AC when you're going topless?!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          Who needs AC when you're going topless?!
          I don't know - sitting in stop & go traffic in 90F heat yesterday kind of made me want it lol, I must be getting old. Even the vent windows don't help when you're doing 2mph haha (we're in the middle of a heat wave - at least for us in western Canada). When the satin black top goes back on it the situation won't improve lol.

Comment

Understood....our 88 was saddle tan all over with the solid quarter windows (no sliders) and it got hot in traffic as well, but, that was in southern Virginia.....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

so we've put a few kilometers on the Jimmy now, and buttoned up a few things. Unfortunately the axle I had swapped into the rear of the Jimmy ended up having a bent shaft on the drivers side, not too bad, but you could see it when it was rolling down the road. Luckily, the guy I sold the front & rear axles to had never used them, so he sold the rear back to me & I swapped over the shaft. Ended up selling the housing & carrier for the same as I paid to get the axle back, so I guess other than time and a few liters of 80-90 it didn't really cost me anything (and the diff cover had a drip anyhow - so it was going to come off and get refilled eventually)

The Vintage Air AC system is now charged - it moves a ton of air which is nice.
              Being as it now has AC - we could put the top on

Comment

Buttoned up a few things for the interior as well, recovered the headliner in gray vinyl & installed most of the trim. Still need to make the panels for the rear beside the seats, but hopefully I'll get to that soon. The visors are just the original ones with the fabric pulled off, at least the plastic underneath is black lol.

One of the new power door locks is a bit sticky (sometimes won't unlock all the way), so I'll have to do something about that I guess, but otherwise everything has been working surprisingly well. Even drives not too bad (for a solid axle truck on 35 x 13 1/2's), it's not going to win any races, but it seems to be working OK for now.

Last edited by chevy3100truck; August 7, 2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

So now that the Jimmy is more or less complete, just a few details to work out, I can get to my other projects...…

The 6.0L is coming out of the golden turd

to go into my truck - 1970 GMC 3/4 Ton (along with a ton of other work it needs)

so that my 12 year old can have the 350/350 combo out of the 70GMC for his S10 that he bought this summer (to race in Jr. Street at the local dragstrip)

Comment

The S-10 needs a Mercedes Diesel! I can send info.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      The S-10 needs a Mercedes Diesel! I can send info.

Dan
                      I think one Mercedes diesel powered S-10 is enough for this world

Comment

• Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post

I think one Mercedes diesel powered S-10 is enough for this world
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                        X