Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to add 100-150 shot to my 496bbc . 1st time on a v8 motor .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to add 100-150 shot to my 496bbc . 1st time on a v8 motor .

I have a chevelle with a 496 bbc 11:1 ported oval port heads . I looking at adding a shot to it . I want to stay around 100-150 . Wet or dry shot ? What kit ? What other stuff do I want that doesn't come in the kit ? Street car with timing set at 35. Msd 6al. Any other stuff to keep it safe ?

Carb'd? That'd need a wet shot. I'd want a bottle heater and a window switch (RPM), which isn't usually part of the kits.

The rule with nitrous is that it's cheap horsepower, but it's not THAT cheap. Pay to do it right, or pay for doing it cheap later. Getting a dyno tune or having someone experienced help read plugs and such at the track is worth it's weight in gold. I'm a fan of the Monte Smith (RIP) way of thinking--much leaner jetting than most people would think, but with more timing pulled than typical. Too rich will wash down the cylinders, beat the ring seal up, and you'll end up with oil in the chamber, which does particularly ugly things when spraying.

Do it right the first time, or do it right the second time when you're rebuilding the motor.

Comment

Yeah , carb Holly 850dp . I just built my 496 bbc don't want to do it wrong . it is fast but I need a little more from it . I like to pick on the turbo hondas cars . I use to build them so I know what ones to race . But I desided it was time for the real car . 69 ss to come out to play . I haven't lost yet but the last one was right there with me . I was looking at wet kit and a few other parts let me know what you think about the parts I'm looking at or anything I should get too . Also colder plugs I know .
      Last edited by Brian28; January 22, 2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

start small.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

So start at like 50/100 ? I don't want to put more then 125 I should have built it to handle a big shot but I can just do New Pistons later if I want to go up

Comment

yep, and have a spark-plug-reading guide so you can pull a plug and check how you're doing after each run.... once you feel comfortable reading plugs, you can push the motor a long ways....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
            X