Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
    ...Still looking for now...
    What about the sheet metal style ones?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ake/oldsmobile

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

What about the sheet metal style ones?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ake/oldsmobile
      Don't recall seeing those, top row of holes look extra deep, wonder how easy to access bolts? I Might have to call to get specifics. Thx!
      '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
      '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
      79 Trans Am project
      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        You might try converting the bolts to studs to keep the gaskets in better alignment. That solved my leaky problem.
        I like your suggestion! Would also make it easier to get on and off for valve lash adjustments, etc.
        Best place to find studs?
        79 Trans Am project
        ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

My stud finder goes off whenever I get near it - ME has to use it.

But seriously, most hardware stores have them or you can order them cheap on line - I use Albany County Fasteners and they ship quickly.

Dan

Comment

I like your suggestion! Would also make it easier to get on and off for valve lash adjustments, etc.
            Pretty sure I found mine at O'Reilly's.........
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I useed fastenal for 1" set screws... https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...%2FThread+Size then I use coupling nuts https://www.fastenal.com/product/fas...FamilyId=22547
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

During my searches I've run across more interest in info that just makes for more questions.
                ​​​​​ Apparently all 77-80 403 motors only had 5 bolt holes on original heads...
                Since mine are definitely 10 bolt, that means earlier model 350 or 455 heads are on the motor. Since 350 heads help increase compression that is likely what is installed.
                Now, how do I check to verify what heads so I can find the correct covers...
                Last edited by Redline04; June 3, 2020, 09:33 PM.
                79 Trans Am project
                ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Here's a start for ya.....

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Thanks Ed! Now I just have to pull the covers again and locate casting numbers...
                    79 Trans Am project
                    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Working on getting new subframe connectors welded in place this weekend. Replacing these homemade 'connectors' with Gen II connectors from Pro-Touring fbody.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200801_130904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	485.3 KB ID:	1276520
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_133713.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1276521
                      Last edited by Redline04; August 1, 2020, 11:39 AM.
                      79 Trans Am project
                      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Will also be installing this full set of aluminum body bushings from the UMI suspension kit... Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_133731.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	1276523
                        79 Trans Am project
                        ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

During my searches I've run across more interest in info that just makes for more questions.
                          ​​​​​ Apparently all 77-80 403 motors only had 5 bolt holes on original heads...
                          Since mine are definitely 10 bolt, that means earlier model 350 or 455 heads are on the motor. Since 350 heads help increase compression that is likely what is installed.
                          Now, how do I check to verify what heads so I can find the correct covers...
                          Fastest way to id oldsmobile cylinder heads is to look for a number or letter on the left lower corner by the #1 and #8 spark plugs. Oldsmobile used numbers for small block heads, and letters for big block heads. There is also a 6 digit casting number you above the center exhaust ports also. 4A on the left corner of this head IDs this as a late 70's 403 cylinder head.

Name:	cylinderheadID.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1276634

Comment

Finally back to posting some updates on the T/A. Back about the time of my last posts on this project, several ppl at the shop got covid and the shop shut down for a while. My car got shelved again like a few others and time passed by.
                            Lots of time.
                            Fast forward to where we are now.
                            Found a set of old school M/T valve covers to replace the boogered Holley covers.
                            . Stripped, repainted & installed.

Name:	IMG_5554.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	587.0 KB
ID:	1320036

Name:	IMG_5562.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	1320037
                            Leaving them satin black to match the car for now. Have a small issue with both covers having a hole plate knocked out. Only need one for the factory PCV valve, so using an oil fill cap to fill the extra hole until I find an acceptable, permanent solution.
                            79 Trans Am project
                            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

The old Holley carb that came with the car was being a p.i.t.a, so I figured to try a Demon as a replacement. Not good on the TA. Even though the carb height was correct to fit under the shaker hood, the body of the carb was too wide.
                              Linkage binding on the Performer intake. Tried a small riser, but that made the carb too tall so that the hood would not close over the shaker
                              I ended up switching to a new Edelbrock as that fit well under the shaker & the linkage is good too.
                              All back together & running well now!
                              1st pic - attempting to fit the Demon...

Name:	IMG_5510.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	1320040

2nd pic, Edelbrock & refinished M/T covers on. Tried to post a quick video clip of it running, but wrong format so it won’t post

Name:	IMG_5565.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	1320041

Next step will be installing new Proforged tie rod ends & Idler...
                              79 Trans Am project
                              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Leaving them satin black to match the car for now. Have a small issue with both covers having a hole plate knocked out. Only need one for the factory PCV valve, so using an oil fill cap to fill the extra hole until I find an acceptable, permanent solution.
                                I don't know if you have the look you're after but an FYI - If you hit the ribs with a belt sander they'll pop out in aluminum and look spiffy. I've recoated them with clear wheel paint so you can clean them. Just a thought.
                                Last edited by DanStokes; June 6, 2022, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X