Redline's 79 Trans Am project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redline's 79 Trans Am project

So here's the new project acquired on 28 January. '79 Trans Am that has been in a barn for somewhere around 6-10 years. Previous owner thought he stored it 'around 6 years ago' He initially titles it in 2005, registration expired in 2007 and has never been renewed since. So, something like 6-10 years in a barn.

Initial pictures sent by owner before I went to see it in person.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Find#1.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1189780Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Find#2.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1189781Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Trans Am engine bay.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	1189782Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Find #4 Interior.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1189783

More details later when I have more time to type....

'86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

nicely bought
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

More of the story... The TA was not offered for sale publicly. My Son-in-Law started a business last year, Midwest Classics LLC out of the Appleton, WI area. Initially he was hunting for Mustang and Camaro stuff like parts collections, parts cars, or mostly whole cars that had good/valuable parts. As that evolved he began doing a lot more searching and advertising for parts for second and first Gen Firebirds, TA's, and Camaros.
      The owner of my TA contacted him and asked if he would be interested in a whole car. They set up a time to visit the car to be sure it was as the owner was describing. At the same time he told me about the car, and what they new about it. I told him I was interested and let me know if it really was as clean as stated.
      Chris sent a friend with a trailer to check the car out and make the deal. The price was right & the TA turned out to be really clean and straight - a near perfect starting point for a new project.

So here's the car on the trailer home... Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Find#5.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	1189789

more updates later on what we've found so far, and what the eventual (and always evolving I'm sure) plan will be
      79 Trans Am project
      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Congratulations John, great project!
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Terrific! I'll be watching this one too.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Looks like great starting material, especially considering where we live. Here is the link. Hopefully you can copy and paste it into your signature.

Let me know if you need help.

Looking forward to the progress.
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Looks like you're on to a nice project, John, nicely done!! We're not too far apart, might have to come see this one in process!
              Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
              Gregg and Deb Miller
              Verona, Wi.

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                Looks like great starting material, especially considering where we live. Here is the link. Hopefully you can copy and paste it into your signature.

Let me know if you need help.

Looking forward to the progress.
                Thanks Chris! On my first try to copy and paste the link converted back to an http type link, so I referred back to your earlier message about pasting to a word doc and then converted the hyper-link name there. Thanks for the help!
                79 Trans Am project
                ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Updating... Took the TA to a friends shop where there is heat, lifts, more tools than I'll ever have. I'll end up mentioning Lenny's shop more as time progresses as he is an excellent mechanic and does terrific body prep work ~ a skill I definitely don't have. I can sand body panels, but that's the limit of my metal skills.
                  Lenny shop is Vintage Mustangs and Muscle Cars of Green Bay... long way from home, but well worth the trip.

Changed all engine fluids, took gas tank off car, drained and checked - no rust or junk in tank. Blew out the fuel lines and added 2 new inline filters. Way too much rubber line so most of those will be replaced later on. Primed the Holley carb that came on the car, and
                  It Runs!! some minor stumbling, so rechecked all the fuel lines. Swapped out the Holley for another Holley in Lenny's shop that has already been rebuilt. Runs better now

Removed intake (Edelbrock Olds 350 intake) checked the valley area and put in new intake gasket. Cleaned the intake and valve covers before reinstalling.

This motor has had a little work done. Appears to be the original 403, can't find VIN stamping. looks like it should be behind the water pump on the front of the block, but can't get an angle where we can find it. I have no specs on what was done, much of it was done before my seller bought the car in '05. here's a few photos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	79 Trans Am 04 engine roller rockers.JPG Views:	2 Size:	332.4 KB ID:	1190460Click image for larger version  Name:	79 Trans Am 03 engine new intake gasket install.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	803.2 KB ID:	1190461Click image for larger version  Name:	79 Trans Am 05 engine Edelbrock intake.JPG Views:	1 Size:	274.7 KB ID:	1190462

What we do know just from visual inspection... Engine has been rebuilt and has roller tip rockers, Edelbrock intake, headers, Griffin radiator, relocated/remote oil filter, dual exhaust but no H pipe or crossover, Chevy 12 bolt axle, paint is crap but body is clean with a few minor dings to knock out...
                  Last edited by Redline04; February 17, 2018, 04:31 PM.
                  79 Trans Am project
                  ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Cleaned off all the barn crap... Looks awesome from 50 ft .

Name:	Barn find#5 Cleaned1.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	1190464Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn find#7 Clean 02.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	1190465
                    79 Trans Am project
                    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

A few underside photos Lenny sent. Frame and all bracket connection points are clean and rust free. Can see some of the excess rubber fuel lines can be seen in these. Don't like the way they were routed, so I'll fix all of that when it's warm enough to work in my unheated garage. Note to self.. get garage heater before next winter!

Name:	79 Trans Am 05 underside.jpeg
Views:	504
Size:	713.6 KB
ID:	1190469Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Trans Am 06 underside.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	746.2 KB
ID:	1190470Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Trans Am 07 underside.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	1190471
                      79 Trans Am project
                      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                        Updating... Took the TA to a friends shop where there is heat, lifts, more tools than I'll ever have. I'll end up mentioning Lenny's shop more as time progresses as he is an excellent mechanic and does terrific body prep work ~ a skill I definitely don't have. I can sand body panels, but that's the limit of my metal skills.
                        Lenny shop is Vintage Mustangs and Muscle Cars of Green Bay... long way from home, but well worth the trip.

Changed all engine fluids, took gas tank off car, drained and checked - no rust or junk in tank. Blew out the fuel lines and added 2 new inline filters. Way too much rubber line so most of those will be replaced later on. Primed the Holley carb that came on the car, and
                        It Runs!! some minor stumbling, so rechecked all the fuel lines. Swapped out the Holley for another Holley in Lenny's shop that has already been rebuilt. Runs better now

Removed intake (Edelbrock Olds 350 intake) checked the valley area and put in new intake gasket. Cleaned the intake and valve covers before reinstalling.

This motor has had a little work done. Appears to be the original 403, can't find VIN stamping. looks like it should be behind the water pump on the front of the block, but can't get an angle where we can find it. I have no specs on what was done, much of it was done before my seller bought the car in '05. here's a few photos.

Click image for larger version Name:	79 Trans Am 04 engine roller rockers.JPG Views:	2 Size:	332.4 KB ID:	1190460Click image for larger version Name:	79 Trans Am 03 engine new intake gasket install.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	803.2 KB ID:	1190461Click image for larger version Name:	79 Trans Am 05 engine Edelbrock intake.JPG Views:	1 Size:	274.7 KB ID:	1190462

What we do know just from visual inspection... Engine has been rebuilt and has roller tip rockers, Edelbrock intake, headers, Griffin radiator, relocated/remote oil filter, dual exhaust but no H pipe or crossover, Chevy 12 bolt axle, paint is crap but body is clean with a few minor dings to knock out...
                        here's a link I found to olds block casting numbers....: http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofblk.htm
                        hopefully it helps...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

here's a link I found to olds block casting numbers....: http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofblk.htm
                          hopefully it helps...
                          Thanks! Found this number (in photo) on top front edge of block near intake. First 3 numbers match last 3 of VIN, but I think that's just coincidence.

Edit: Looking at the link Silver_Bullet provided I found this bit of info: "4B '77-'79 403 557265 Windowed main webs always"

which confirms the 403 block. The link also says the VIN should be stamped above the right center freeze plug. SO I'll have to get a look at that sometime.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0752.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	1190489
                          Last edited by Redline04; February 17, 2018, 08:55 PM.
                          79 Trans Am project
                          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Here's a few engine bay photos... pretty clean overall, factory non-AC car...

Name:	DSC_0747 (2).JPG
Views:	505
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	1190495Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0745.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	1190491Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0748a.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	1190492Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0749b.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	1190493Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0751a.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	1190494
                            79 Trans Am project
                            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0744b (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	689.4 KB ID:	1190497 A little thin on top
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0741 (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	526.1 KB ID:	1190498 Small dents-outward from inside trunk.
                              Same small dent on both sides of car, something heavy slid around in there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0742a (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	453.7 KB ID:	1190499
                              Both front fenders are good, doors align great and zero sag in hinges.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0743a (3).JPG Views:	1 Size:	496.5 KB ID:	1190500
                              Last edited by Redline04; February 17, 2018, 08:19 PM.
                              79 Trans Am project
                              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Working...
                              X