No announcement yet.

Redline's 79 Trans Am project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday afternoon (Friday) Going back onto the trailer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0757  79 Trans Am going back on trailer.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1190504

Off to Lenny's shop near Green Bay to fix the paint and body issues. Striping all the fiberglass parts off; remove bumper covers, rear spoiler, wheel flares, and all the other in the way stuff.

Plan is to Strip everything to bare metal, fix the little dents, prime it all, then coat everything including door jams & hinges in Matte Black. That will get it all ready for final paint when I decide what color I want to paint it. Cowl tag says it was Gold with Tan interior. Not going back to that.

'86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

I've seen a few Olds blocks (blue ones) with the engine size cast into the left side by the 1st 2 cylinders.. Usually mounts cover them..
      Be about 1-1/2-2" high

Comment

Pontiac Inferno Orange? With a Saddle Interior?

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7nfeu5Vkd3kSlMRGzIKkkdNn9GMXOFTBBYDsYfj0YrcvjVQoskQ.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1190544

Brewster Green Metallic? With Saddle Interior?

Name:	MVC-001S.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1190545
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          I've seen a few Olds blocks (blue ones) with the engine size cast into the left side by the 1st 2 cylinders.. Usually mounts cover them..
          Be about 1-1/2-2" high
          Thanks, from what I read in the link Silver_Bullet sent, could be either in the spot you mention, or centered on right side above center freeze plug... I'll have a look next weekend when I get back up north. Hopefully I can find it.
          79 Trans Am project
          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            Pontiac Inferno Orange? With a Saddle Interior?

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7nfeu5Vkd3kSlMRGzIKkkdNn9GMXOFTBBYDsYfj0YrcvjVQoskQ.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1190544

Brewster Green Metallic? With Saddle Interior?

Name:	MVC-001S.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1190545
            I think the Orange would draw more attention, but I like the Green too... Being Irish, I kinda lean that way. The Son in Law thinks I should do a bandit clone, but I think there's enough of them out there already. Might stay with a metallic shade of red, but interior will go to all black or combo of black and saddle. The red that's in it is crap.

maybe red similar to this...

Name:	Paint option #3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1190571
            79 Trans Am project
            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Fell in love with the green when John Wayne did the movie McQ....The Orange, Kinda a new version of Carousel Red that was popular on the GTO... The Burgundy... not so mutch...Paint the MCSS that hue when it comes time...
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Maybe similar to this. I like the Brewster better as a darker metallic, but this gives an idea of it on the car.

Name:	Paint option  79 Trans-Am in Green2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1190592Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint option  79 Trans-Am in Green1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1190593
                79 Trans Am project
                ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

John

This is a VERY COOL project and and absolute steal! I am a little confused about the Olds block - is this just GM shuffling parts at the end of a run OR did the previous owner swap motors? Regardless - this seems like a great project.

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                    Maybe similar to this. I like the Brewster better as a darker metallic, but this gives an idea of it on the car.

Name:	Paint option  79 Trans-Am in Green2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1190592Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint option  79 Trans-Am in Green1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1190593
                    Yup, That's the ticket, but, I personally prefer the earlier version of the "Screaming Chicken" decal....
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                      John

This is a VERY COOL project and and absolute steal! I am a little confused about the Olds block - is this just GM shuffling parts at the end of a run OR did the previous owner swap motors? Regardless - this seems like a great project.
                      IIRC, during those years, the automatic cars got the Olds engines and a TA 6.6 on the shaker while the 4 speed cars got the Pontiac mill with the 400 decal
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                        John

I did a little digging around on the subject. Found that in '79 there were only about 2500 original Pontiac 400 blocks left for use, (left overs from '78) those went into 4spd only cars.
                        As Silver_Bullet noted, almost all the automatic cars got the Olds 403, or if it was the 10th Anniversary edition, it probably had the Olds 301 with a turbo
                        If the car was still showing the original sticker package, a Pontiac engine 400 would have the TA 6.6 on the shaker. The Olds 403 powered cars had the 6.6 Liter sticker on the shaker.

either way, this one does have the right casting number on the block for a 403, I just have to find the VIN stamp to see if it's # matching.
                        79 Trans Am project
                        ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Name:	0042a.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	721.5 KB
ID:	1190654 This is where the VIN is located on an Olds block. It's usually a very light stamp and can be very hard to read.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

The VIN derivative stamping or engine unit number is on the left most side of the block or head, on the driver's side, just below the cylinder head, toward the front. The pad is part of the engine and will indicate the year of manufacture, but that is usually rusted beyond recognition, and it can be changed by restamping. Basically it IDs the car in which the motor was originally installed. It can provide some circumstantial info but not a positive ID.
                            The VIN derivative on 68-up blocks doesn't tie directly to the type of car it was installed in (unless you have some way to unambiguously trace the last six digits of the VIN); however it can provide some indirect evidence. For example, if the production plant (third place in the VIN derivative) was one at which no 442s were built (KC, for example), then it obviously isn't a 442 motor. Of course, you have no way of knowing for sure that the heads were originally installed on that block or not.
                            For example, what this proves is that it could be a W-30 short block, but it could also be a Toro motor. W-30s were only built in Lansing, so if the VIN derivative had shown some other production plant, you would have positive proof that it was not a W-motor. Of course, if the motor is still in the car and the car is positively a W-30 and the last six digits of the VIN match, then it is a W-motor.
                            If the engine was replaced under warranty, the pad may be blank. Rubbing alcohol and Q-tips help to remove the grime and grit from the stamping.

1968-later V-8 Engine
                            Have the last six digits of the VIN number, the year of the block, and the assembly plant stamped on the driver's side of the block below the cylinder head. A 2-letter code on the oil filler tube identified the engine.
                            You can use the VIN derivative number to ID the year. For 1968 and up blocks, this number is located on a pad just below the cylinder head on the front left side of the engine. This number will be stamped on a machined pad on the front driver's side of the block, just below the deck surface. Typically it will be covered with a power steering bracket or something, below the number one spark plug location.
                            This number should take the form of "35Mxxxxxx" where:
                            3 = Oldsmobile division.
                            5 = year of manufacture (8=68, 9=69, 0=70, ..., 4=74, 5=75, 6=76, etc.).
                            M = location of manufacture (M = Lansing, B=Baltimore, X = Kansas City, Z = Fremont, CA, etc.).
                            xxxxxx = last six digits of VIN of car that motor originally came in (original car's sequential production number).
                            The letter indicating factory must match the letter in the sixth position of the car's VIN (it should also, of course, match the factory indication on the body data plate - in other words, for a Lansing-built car, the sixth place in the VIN would be an "M", the body data plate should indicate "LAN", and the third place in the engine ID should also be an "M").
                            Now, obviously this doesn't provide all of the information you're looking for, but you do get something. Year of manufacture is nice to know. Additionally, the manufacturing plant may provide some info as to the motor's original use. For example, if the letter is an "X", that signifies Kansas City, which only produced full size cars (88s and 98s). Framingham (the letter escapes me at the moment) built only A-bodies. Lansing, on the other hand, built all Olds car lines (surprise), so an "M" doesn't tell you much.
                            If the motor has a number stamped which doesn't match the above, it's a non-original motor from another car. If it doesn't have any number stamped at all, it could be one of two things. First, it could be a dealer-installed factory service block, which would come without a VIN derivative. The dealer should have stamped the new block with the VIN derivative, but may not have. The other possibility is that it's a 65-67 block (i.e., a short-stroke 400 or a 425), as these motors did not have the VIN derivative stamped on the block. Note that obviously this latter option can be checked by looking at the block casting letter ("D" for the 425, "B" or "E" for the 400 - as opposed to "G" for the correct 68 long-stroke 400).
                            Some blocks, before 1977, have their ID cast above the right hand center freeze plug, e.g. D for 425, F for 455. Olds didn't cast the displacement into the side of the blocks until they went to the light weight design in 1977. The 1977 and newer blocks will have the cubic inches cast in large raised numbers right above the right hand center freeze plug, e.g. 403. The 307 will be in liters (5L), and a diesel engine will have the letters "DX" on it. The engine VIN letter will also be cast into the side of the block. Note that the 260 blocks sometimes have the last 3 digits of the casting number cast there, "355", which is rather misleading.
                            The VIN in 1972 and newer cars tells you what engine the car came with.
                            The number stamped on the oil filler tube is the engine unit code. The first number indicates the year the engine was assembled and the remaining numbers refer to the sequence number of the engine assembly (for identification at the engine assembly plant). This number has no link to any of the VIN data of the vehicle and does not contain any codes that identify the engine size.
                            From the factory, the oil filler tube had a sticker containing two letters which indicated components (carb, etc.), model application (Cutlass, 88, etc.), and other configuration items (timing, CA approved, etc.). See the chassis manual for a list of available configurations. In 1973 and later, the factory did tune the emissions packages to the specific models that an engine might be installed in, but before that, in general terms, most engines were the virtually the same across all model lines.
                            Looking for information on the 442 CID engine? Check out the 442 section for clarification.

Hope this helps.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post

I did a little digging around on the subject. Found that in '79 there were only about 2500 original Pontiac 400 blocks left for use, (left overs from '78) those went into 4spd only cars.
                              As Silver_Bullet noted, almost all the automatic cars got the Olds 403, or if it was the 10th Anniversary edition, it probably had the Olds 301 with a turbo
                              If the car was still showing the original sticker package, a Pontiac engine 400 would have the TA 6.6 on the shaker. The Olds 403 powered cars had the 6.6 Liter sticker on the shaker.

either way, this one does have the right casting number on the block for a 403, I just have to find the VIN stamp to see if it's # matching.
                              I stand duly corrected... Thanks... it was earlier years that had the 400 versus 6.6 liter or ta 6.6
                              Decals on the scoop varied. Hood scoops generally had call out decals to announce engine size. In 1970 and 1971 this read 455-HO. In 1973 either 455 or SD-455 decals adorned the scoop. 1970 showed no decals on the hood scoop. In 1974 engine call-outs listed the 400, 455 or SD-455 in either blue, black or white decals. In 1975 the callouts were either 400 or 455-HO in Orange, Charcoal, or blue but with a new two color design. In 1976 callouts were either 400 or 455 available in Charcoal, Gold, or Gold german style for the Limited Edition Trans Am In 1977 models the W72 400 engine received TA/6.6 decals while all other engines, the base 400 and new for 1977 Oldsmobile 403 received 6.6 Litre decals. In 1978 the 6.6 Litre decal was discontinued making the T/A 6.6 decal the only hood scoop decal. Of course you still had to buy the W72 motor, otherwise your hood scoop remained blank. The decal style was the same as the Fender/Spoiler graphics, either the German style lettering on Black SE cars, the older Trans Am script, or the newer Trans Am block lettering.

Anywho... here's a link to the different hood bird decals that came from Pontiac: http://tran-zam.com/Spotters_Guide/S...HoodBirds.html
                              Last edited by silver_bullet; February 19, 2018, 06:32 AM.
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I have 2-78's.. Both were 400 Poncho cars.. One 4 speed, one auto..
                                74 Firebird is a 4 speed 301. Real dog. Getting a chevy 400 as that is what I have and keeping it 4 speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X