No announcement yet.

Redline's 79 Trans Am project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang! What method did you use to strip it.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
      WOW - beyond great! Looks like an excellent start. Now if you will pardon me giving advice - use Hot Rod Black or similar satin / flat black real paint and not primer. The wagon ran in epoxy primer for years but the surface does degrade over time.
      I always welcome advice! Initially the plan was to strip it, primer and paint it flat black. Then I figured out what he meant was strip it and use flat black primer. I'm okay with that - as my plan has evolved to driving more locally only in good weather while I work thru the mechanical updates... then have him go over the body in detail and give it final paint.

As that may take longer than initially anticipated to get to final paint, I appreciate the suggestion to use a coat of the Hot Rod black/satin over the primer to better protect the metal until the final paint actually happens.

Current plan in progress is 1 coat of epoxy primer over the bare metal and 3 coats of flat black fill primer over that.

Waiting for a return call to see what it'll take to do a temporary coat of Hot Rod black / Satin over the primer.
      Last edited by Redline04; July 12, 2018, 01:09 PM.
      '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
      '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
      79 Trans Am project
      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Looks like this project is coming along nicely!! I must agree with cstmwagon on the brake situation. I used 1977
        Trans Am spindles, rotors, Master cylinder and calipers from a salvage yard on my Chevelle when I first put it together back in 1994. Were no kits available then like there are today, but with new calipers and pads, and the stock drums out back, I have had very good luck with stopping the car, and have had to use some pretty heavy duty pedal pressure as I got caught up in some pretty hairy situations on various Power Tours over the years, and have been able to stop straight and short as needed! That said, I don't autocross, or roadrace, but for street driving, it has worked out well for me! Polygraphite bushings and body mounts do wonders, too!
        Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
        Gregg and Deb Miller
        Verona, Wi.

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post

Current plan in progress is 1 coat of epoxy primer over the bare metal and 3 coats of flat black fill primer over that.

Waiting for a return call to see what it'll take to do a temporary coat of Hot Rod black / Satin over the primer.

So painter says another $750 (Paint/time/material) for 2 coats of single stage flat black over the primer coats... debating...

probably wouldn't hesitate, but I just had to replace both the fridge ($1400) and washer ($700) so fun money supply is kinda low...
          Last edited by Redline04; March 26, 2018, 01:43 PM.
          79 Trans Am project
          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

So painter says another $750 (Paint/time/material) for 2 coats of single stage flat black over the primer coats... debating...

probably wouldn't hesitate, but I just had to replace bothe the fridge ($1400) and washer ($700) so fun money supply is kinda low...
            That "being a responsible adult" thing really sucks your soul out, doesn't it? (Done there, been that).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

That "being a responsible adult" thing really sucks your soul out, doesn't it? (Done there, been that).

Dan
              And it always happens at an inconvenient time...
              79 Trans Am project
              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

How much will it cost later? You'll really appreciate spending the extra $ if the project stalls for a while before paint. Might even save you some on final paint. I say go for it!
                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Nice find! Interesting it's came factory without A/C and rear drums, I thought the T/A packages were essentially fully loaded and the Formula's the stripped down models with the "big" engine.

I also echo keeping the rear drums and start with upgrading the front brakes and go from there if you think you need more braking capacity. I put rear discs (from a late-70's GM car) on my '77 Skylark and while they (with larger front rotors too) definitely got the car stopping a lot quicker, the parking brake and caliper adjustment is very very finicky. Not sure I'd do it again unless I felt I reallly needed more.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                    Dang! What method did you use to strip it.
                    Painter stripped it... used 3M stripping discs w/orbital sander to get the heavy stuff off. The Red color was painted right over the original gold/factory primer, so everything was stripped back to bare metal.
                    79 Trans Am project
                    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      Nice find! Interesting it's came factory without A/C and rear drums, I thought the T/A packages were essentially fully loaded and the Formula's the stripped down models with the "big" engine.

I also echo keeping the rear drums and start with upgrading the front brakes and go from there if you think you need more braking capacity. I put rear discs (from a late-70's GM car) on my '77 Skylark and while they (with larger front rotors too) definitely got the car stopping a lot quicker, the parking brake and caliper adjustment is very very finicky. Not sure I'd do it again unless I felt I reallly needed more.

It may have had rear discs on the original rear axle. It has a 12 bolt in it now with the drums, no idea what the 12 bolt came out of...

I'll be keeping the rear drums, just upgrading to all new parts for them.
                      79 Trans Am project
                      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Painter stripped it... used 3M stripping discs w/orbital sander to get the heavy stuff off. The Red color was painted right over the original gold/factory primer, so everything was stripped back to bare metal.
                        Pretty sure the 69 Camaro will have to go down to the metal is why I was inquiring. Once the Impala is done the 69 goes back to the top of the list, but unfortunately I'll be doing the work.
                        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

It may have had rear discs on the original rear axle. It has a 12 bolt in it now with the drums, no idea what the 12 bolt came out of...

I'll be keeping the rear drums, just upgrading to all new parts for them.
                          If it's in serviceable condition, that 12 bolt is a BIG upgrade! Great!
                          Last edited by silver_bullet; March 27, 2018, 05:15 PM.
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

Pretty sure the 69 Camaro will have to go down to the metal is why I was inquiring. Once the Impala is done the 69 goes back to the top of the list, but unfortunately I'll be doing the work.
                            Eastwood has some nice paint stripping kits that include the 3M discs. Be sure to get a pack or two of extra stripping discs. It will take more than what comes in the basic kit.

Doing the dirty work yourself is great. I wouldn't mind doing my own, but don't have the garage space. Plus, the shop I sent it to offered a really good price to strip to bare steel & primer painting, and they'll have it done by May 1st.
                            79 Trans Am project
                            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post

How much will it cost later? You'll really appreciate spending the extra $ if the project stalls for a while before paint. Might even save you some on final paint. I say go for it!

I did... plan in motion.
                              79 Trans Am project
                              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

John, i just received the Sept HRM and Marlan Davis has an article on the later Olds engines, page 88.
                                nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Working...
                                X