Redline's 79 Trans Am project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I don't know if you have the look you're after but an FYI - If you hit the ribs with a belt sander they'll pop out in aluminum and look spiffy. I've recoated them with clear wheel paint so you can clean them. Just a thought.
    Hey that's a thought on my 71 Vette LT1 valve covers.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I don't know if you have the look you're after but an FYI - If you hit the ribs with a belt sander they'll pop out in aluminum and look spiffy. I've recoated them with clear wheel paint so you can clean them. Just a thought.
      Definitely considering cleaning off the top ribs. Wasn’t sure of a good way to do it without messing up the rest of the paint. Your suggestion is quite helpful!
      '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
      '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
      79 Trans Am project
      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post

Definitely considering cleaning off the top ribs. Wasn’t sure of a good way to do it without messing up the rest of the paint. Your suggestion is quite helpful!
        I did a Cummins ISB that way at EPA many years ago and it worked great. Since then it's a standard part of my tips and tricks. You'll need to wash the sanding bits out of the valleys between the ribs but I've done OK with soap and water.

Comment

I wanna see them when finished!
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Replaced factory rear sway bar with a new UMI Performance rear bar. The rear sway was still in development back when I first ordered the UMI Pro Touring set up.
            Suspension system now completely updated.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5644.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	1320352 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_120230.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1320353 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_120352.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1320354
            79 Trans Am project
            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Trying to decide,,, do I need a line lock? T/A came to me with one. Not sure if it works. Rebuilding brakes now (installing new Master/Booster) once it’s refilled with new fluid and bled out, checking that old line lock is next, but Do I really need one for a street car I’ve never had a car with one, so not familiar territory.
              79 Trans Am project
              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

For a Street car, I'd skip it unless you participate in burnout competitions.

Comment

I'm with Monster,
                  I have a Brand New Line Lock/Parking Brake/Sliders Kit in the Box......
                  Cheap To You....
                  Didn't install it on the Indy Racer Project

Comment

Need? what is this word? does it really mean anything?
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_212953.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1324482
                      New Master/booster installed. Ran new fluid and started purging brakes. Found one rear cylinder locked up, only $15 each, so replaced both rear cylinders. Brakes now bled. Stops Way better & seems to have eliminated what we thought may be a brake vacuum issue.
                      The line lock wasn’t wired or connected to anything, so it’s been removed.
                      The TA did come with a Chevy 12 bolt posi installed. Not sure of gears, so did a brief driveshaft rotation/tire spin. Answer is 4 to One. Might be a little steep for long distance highway cruising.
                      Last edited by Redline04; August 14, 2022, 07:30 PM.
                      79 Trans Am project
                      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

• Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                        New Master/booster installed. Ran new fluid and started purging brakes. Found one rear cylinder locked up, only $15 each, so replaced both rear cylinders. Brakes now bled. Stops Way better & seems to have eliminated what we thought may be a brake vacuum issue.
                        The line lock wasn’t wired or connected to anything, so it’s been removed.
                        The TA did come with a Chevy 12 bolt posi installed. Not sure of gears, so did a brief driveshaft rotation/tire spin. Answer is 4 to One. Might be a little steep for long distance highway cruising.
                        Unless a T56 is going in it .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

Unless a T56 is going in it .
                          If Tremec was to drop off a donated T56, I would certainly not object to the extra effort required to add the 3rd pedal
                          79 Trans Am project
                          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

• In your situation, I would try for a TKX kit: https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...d-5-speed-kit/

A lot easier than a T56
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Long day round trip... up to Green Bay to load up for the final trip home. Last time onna trailer unless she breaks. Ended up being a 10 hour day due to heavy thunderstorms just when I got there to load up, plus complications with the trailer. Got it all worked out and home by 7pm.

Name:	IMG_6464.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1324429 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220813_194445.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	1324430 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220813_194616.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	638.8 KB
ID:	1324431 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220813_170431.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1324432

More work to do, but at least it can be done at home
                              79 Trans Am project
                              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

• I snagged a 79 a few weeks ago as well. Not sure how long it had been sitting but it was enough to start growing shit on it. This one is one of those oddball 301 T/A's. Another option for a manual might be one of those Richmond 5 speed trans. I've been hunting for another T-56 for a different project for a while and they seem to think they are worth more than a whole car. I've come across some of the Richmond/Doug Nash 5 speed transmissions for about $800. The catch with most of them is they are not over drive transmissions. The later ones could be ordered with 5th being overdrive but I haven't encountered one second hand yet. You could gear it with a 2.xx with the Richmond or see if Richmond sells individual gears for the thing. Just a thought. I'm with you in the T-56 camp though. Use the bellhousing American Powertrain sells for with the BOP pattern for the T-56/Magnum setup and call it a day.

Name:	20220712_122955.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	766.5 KB
ID:	1324479

Comment

Working...
                                X