• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redline04
    replied
    im just gonna leave this here---because everytime i see a 2nd gen
    thunderchicken, this goes through my mind immediately.....makes
    me miss my 71 esprit with the 455 swap !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuDK0xIZFTo

Yep, thatís the memory

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied
    John, i just received the Sept HRM and Marlan Davis has an article on the later Olds engines, page 88.
    iíll Look it up, Thanks

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    im just gonna leave this here---because everytime i see a 2nd gen
    thunderchicken, this goes through my mind immediately.....makes
    me miss my 71 esprit with the 455 swap !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuDK0xIZFTo

Leave a comment:

• >>>>head
    replied
    John, i just received the Sept HRM and Marlan Davis has an article on the later Olds engines, page 88.

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied

How much will it cost later? You'll really appreciate spending the extra $ if the project stalls for a while before paint. Might even save you some on final paint. I say go for it!

I did... plan in motion.

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied

Pretty sure the 69 Camaro will have to go down to the metal is why I was inquiring. Once the Impala is done the 69 goes back to the top of the list, but unfortunately I'll be doing the work.
    Eastwood has some nice paint stripping kits that include the 3M discs. Be sure to get a pack or two of extra stripping discs. It will take more than what comes in the basic kit.

Doing the dirty work yourself is great. I wouldn't mind doing my own, but don't have the garage space. Plus, the shop I sent it to offered a really good price to strip to bare steel & primer painting, and they'll have it done by May 1st.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied

It may have had rear discs on the original rear axle. It has a 12 bolt in it now with the drums, no idea what the 12 bolt came out of...

I'll be keeping the rear drums, just upgrading to all new parts for them.
    If it's in serviceable condition, that 12 bolt is a BIG upgrade! Great!
    Last edited by silver_bullet; March 27th, 2018, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• corvettedad
    replied

Painter stripped it... used 3M stripping discs w/orbital sander to get the heavy stuff off. The Red color was painted right over the original gold/factory primer, so everything was stripped back to bare metal.
    Pretty sure the 69 Camaro will have to go down to the metal is why I was inquiring. Once the Impala is done the 69 goes back to the top of the list, but unfortunately I'll be doing the work.

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied
    Nice find! Interesting it's came factory without A/C and rear drums, I thought the T/A packages were essentially fully loaded and the Formula's the stripped down models with the "big" engine.

I also echo keeping the rear drums and start with upgrading the front brakes and go from there if you think you need more braking capacity. I put rear discs (from a late-70's GM car) on my '77 Skylark and while they (with larger front rotors too) definitely got the car stopping a lot quicker, the parking brake and caliper adjustment is very very finicky. Not sure I'd do it again unless I felt I reallly needed more.

It may have had rear discs on the original rear axle. It has a 12 bolt in it now with the drums, no idea what the 12 bolt came out of...

I'll be keeping the rear drums, just upgrading to all new parts for them.

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied
    Dang! What method did you use to strip it.
    Painter stripped it... used 3M stripping discs w/orbital sander to get the heavy stuff off. The Red color was painted right over the original gold/factory primer, so everything was stripped back to bare metal.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Nice find! Interesting it's came factory without A/C and rear drums, I thought the T/A packages were essentially fully loaded and the Formula's the stripped down models with the "big" engine.

I also echo keeping the rear drums and start with upgrading the front brakes and go from there if you think you need more braking capacity. I put rear discs (from a late-70's GM car) on my '77 Skylark and while they (with larger front rotors too) definitely got the car stopping a lot quicker, the parking brake and caliper adjustment is very very finicky. Not sure I'd do it again unless I felt I reallly needed more.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied

So painter says another $750 (Paint/time/material) for 2 coats of single stage flat black over the primer coats... debating...
    How much will it cost later? You'll really appreciate spending the extra $ if the project stalls for a while before paint. Might even save you some on final paint. I say go for it!

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied

That "being a responsible adult" thing really sucks your soul out, doesn't it? (Done there, been that).

Dan
    And it always happens at an inconvenient time...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

So painter says another $750 (Paint/time/material) for 2 coats of single stage flat black over the primer coats... debating...

probably wouldn't hesitate, but I just had to replace bothe the fridge ($1400) and washer ($700) so fun money supply is kinda low...
    That "being a responsible adult" thing really sucks your soul out, doesn't it? (Done there, been that).

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Redline04
    replied

Current plan in progress is 1 coat of epoxy primer over the bare metal and 3 coats of flat black fill primer over that.

Waiting for a return call to see what it'll take to do a temporary coat of Hot Rod black / Satin over the primer.

probably wouldn't hesitate, but I just had to replace both the fridge ($1400) and washer ($700) so fun money supply is kinda low...
    Last edited by Redline04; March 26th, 2018, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X