Daily Diesel Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Chevy Diesel question: We watch Wheel of Fortune most every night (ME says it keeps her mind sharp and it must work) and I saw they were giving away a Chevy Terrain (IIRC - a mid-size SUV anyhow)) w/Diesel. Same engine as the Colorado?

Dan
    I don't know. GM sourced the Colorado motor from VM Motori (though I'd argue it was designed by the Italians but Duramax did substantial work to it to bring it to the US market). VM Motori also built the Cruz motor.... but as far as that one, I don't know. GM divested of its 50% ownership in 2013 (Fiat now wholly owns it), so it may or may not be based on that motor.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
      I like this project!
      I need tires for my F150, so these Falken at3w look interesting! I was about to pull the trigger on the GoodYear Wrangler Trailrunner AT. These Falken tires are way less money, and the newest version looks to be a winner even in snow which is my main obstacle!
      I have some take-off 2014 Raptor wheels so I'll be going from the 18 inch wheel to the 17 and moving up to a 285-70-17, 33-inch dia. that seems to be a nice upgrade size for the F150.

When the F150 gets replaced in a couple years I'm seriously looking into the Colorado with the Diesel, Perhaps the ZR2? I'll get a lightly used version when the time comes.

Edit: I just did some research on these Falken Tires, great reviews all around. I JUST ordered a set, thanks for sharing this information!
      I love mine. I debated spending the extra 10k for the ZR2, I can do a lot of mods for 10k - with that said, you get a lot for the 10k, the adjustable-on-the-fly shocks, a lift, better bumper (my opinion), and locking differentials on both ends. What you'll love is the doubling of your fuel economy with the diesel.

Comment

• next up, 750 overloads (raise 1") for the bed

Comment

• 50k before it needs replacement... yeah, 15k

washable installed

then came the ham antenna

Comment

• Looks like you drive dirtier than GM was anticipating. But that's probably a good thing. At least, more fun.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; March 1, 2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Looks like you drive dirtier than GM was anticipating. But that's probably a good thing. At least, more fun.

Dan
              if you were to ask me the one thing that surprised me about the Seattle area - it would be how dusty it is here.

Comment

• My Falken AT3W tires are installed, these things are way quieter than I expected on the highway.

Comment

My Falken AT3W tires are installed, these things are way quieter than I expected on the highway.
                  aren't they awesome? I get the same if not a touch better mileage - which is not normally the case when you go 4% larger

Comment

• I was tossing up between the Falkens and the Yokohamas when I needed new rubber. I ended up staying with Yokohama since I've been running nothing but for near on 20 years. The Falkens are a tad more agressive than my Yokos, no issue for me and to be honest mine worked fine in the mud/snow/slush/rocks/dirt I've taken them on.
                    The Falkens were also abit more expensive, would have been $200 more for the 4 of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                      I was tossing up between the Falkens and the Yokohamas when I needed new rubber. I ended up staying with Yokohama since I've been running nothing but for near on 20 years. The Falkens are a tad more agressive than my Yokos, no issue for me and to be honest mine worked fine in the mud/snow/slush/rocks/dirt I've taken them on.
                      The Falkens were also abit more expensive, would have been $200 more for the 4 of them.
                      almost opposite here. the Falkens were a couple hundred less. We've had snow, and I've been impressed with them - there isn't a place where they aren't better then the stock, Goodyear Duratrecs.... they were $164 each plus mount balance and tax - roughly $800 all in from Discount tire.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 1, 2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

almost opposite here. the Falkens were a couple hundred less. We've had snow, and I've been impressed with them - there isn't a place where they aren't better then the stock, Goodyear Duratrecs.... they were $164 each plus mount balance and tax - roughly $800 all in from Discount tire.
                        Same here, I purchased from Discount tire also at a very similar price. Also as mentioned earlier, my fuel mileage seems to be the same as before even with a 1" taller tire. Two days ago I did a 3+ hour drive up to Northern Wisconsin in a snowfall, on both slick highways, and un-plowed roads.Traction was great!. I don't do much off-roading with my truck, but do want a vehicle that can get anywhere, anytime in the crap conditions we have here occasionally.

Sorry to derail the thread with tire-talk, but I had been looking for an economical tire option for months, this one is a winner. And the truck looks so much better with 17-inch Raptor wheels than the stock chrome 18's . It wold look even better with those bronze Method wheels, but probably cost more than my used SVT wheels.
                        Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 4, 2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

It wold look even better with those bronze Method wheels, but probably cost more than my used SVT wheels.
                          Just under $200/ea. Which is a pretty good price given that they are USA made, are the one-off lug pattern and have internal bead-retainers. I think for your Ford, they're even less money.... GM went to 6x120 for a bolt pattern (jerks) - so everything is more expensive...

I don't do much offroading with my Colorado (thus the not buying a ZR2), but I use 4x4 a lot (like yesterday unsticking my car trailer).

and not a thread derail - my theory of posting is share what I observe... Falken is going to need to cut me an advertising check, 3 additional sets and counting from my observations....

Comment

• Next thing I may do on my truck is a locker, or an Eaton Detroint Truetrac, not sure which would be best for me.

Comment

• are e-lockers available?

Comment

• I haven't seriously looked into that yet. I have the truetrac on my Javelin, I like that a bunch. Not sure for snow and dirt that this is the best option. I can see perhaps wanting an open diff for slippery highway conditions? But honestly I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X