Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The never-ending 80 El Camino Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The never-ending 80 El Camino Project...

Been hanging out here for far too long without posting my El Camino misadventures for your reading pleasure.

Here's the background:

1980 El Camino purchased in 1996 in Esquimalt, British Columbia from 777 Auto Sales for $2392.00 CAD all in. At the time it had a thrashed 305, a bent tailgate and a hole in the floor under the gas pedal that I could put my boot through Fred Flintstone style. Yabba-dabba-doo!!! The frame and the rest of the body seemed OK at the time...good thing I didn't look any closer. I really wanted a 1966 or 1967 Ranchero, but they were scarce on Vancouver Island in the mid-1990s; the ones in decent shape were muy caro, and the ones that were affordable were beyond reasonable repair. Ditto for the mid-60s to early-70s El Caminos.

So, having spotted a 1980 ElCo in a used car lot while riding my bike home one afternoon after work, I took the plunge; here's the first post-purchase photo:

Fast forward to 2009. I moved from Canada's west coast to the nation's capital, Ottawa, in 1999 (having hauled the car on a U-haul towing dolly behind a Jeep Commanche across the country -- a story in itself). As of last week I'm insured for this summer, heading over to get a chassis dyno tune tomorrow. Having run a 16 flat at the local dragstrip in 2006, and a 15 flat in 2007 -- and with the benefit of a spec built motor (386 stroker small block, put together last summer) installed this spring -- I'm hoping to get into the low-13s and the 100 MPH club this summer. Also get out to some local shows.

After 13 years, three motors (the orig 305, followed by a 350 and now the 386), body and paint, and more general trial and error than I'd ever thought possible, here's what it looks like now (as of tonight):

I'll keep everyone posted as to this summer's adventures at the strip and on the street. More pics to follow. Fingers crossed on the 100 MPH club.

Take care for now.

Michael from Hampton Roads

Re: The never-ending 80 El Camino Project...

That is a great looking El Camino. More pictures please.
    1964 Chevelle
    Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
    LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Here are two:

2005 - with all side moulding removed but still with orig 14-in Camaro Rally wheels (sorry about the crappy photo, it was scanned from one of those disposable cameras)

And tonight - in its most recent guise, 15-in Drag Lites and new rubber (yeah, I know, the neighborhoods gone to hell with the recession; city can't afford to mow the grass ;))

More to follow in coming days and weeks.

Comment

Praise be...a elco owner who resisted the cowl hood and choo choo custom urge.....I dig the color, the stance is nice, the wheels look good....heluva job man
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Here are a couple more...be patient, I'm still playing around with this sizing thing on Photobucket:

How did that Ford Ranger sneak into the picture? ??? Some guy giving his daughter driving lessons. Moments after I took this he drove over and gave me the twenty minute dit about how he used to have one exactly like mine, 1973, right? Except his had a 327 and was red. And if this one's for sale, he's interested, that's why I'm taking the photo, to put it in Auto Trader, right? Nice guy, but geez he liked too talk...

In this one below you can see, above the front tire, the reflection of yours truly standing on a ladder with the camera flash turned on. Hmmm, might be time to read up on taking car photos...

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
            Praise be...a elco owner who resisted the cowl hood and choo choo custom urge.....I dig the color, the stance is nice, the wheels look good....heluva job man
            Thanks for all that. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm really not into the big cowl or Choo Choo look. It's good for some guys but I prefer something more minimalist. The sleeper, lying in wait for unwary Mustang GTs ;)

With the stock flat steel hood I still manged to stuff a 4-inch tall K&N air filter on a Q-Jet, in turn mounted on an Edelbrock Performer RPM...that trick with little bits of plasticene on top of the air cleaner lid works a treat. Three-quarters of an inch clearance between the Bowtie wing nut and the underside of the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
              Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
              Thanks for all that. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm really not into the big cowl or Choo Choo look. It's good for some guys but I prefer something more minimalist. The sleeper, lying in wait for unwary Mustang GTs ;)

With the stock flat steel hood I still manged to stuff a 4-inch tall K&N air filter on a Q-Jet, in turn mounted on an Edelbrock Performer RPM...that trick with little bits of plasticene on top of the air cleaner lid works a treat. Three-quarters of an inch clearance between the Bowtie wing nut and the underside of the hood.
              The street racing sceen on Pittsburghs North side back in the late 80s and early 90s were littered with Bu's and ElCos with the huge cowl hood and choo choo treatment....I grew to resent them...I am with you on the minimalist approach...less is more IMO
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Really nice!

Comment

nice car, I really like that tonneau cover. My dad's really into that genre of El Caminos and I give him nothing but grief about them.. of course none of them look anywhere near as good as yours.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That is a beaut.....you done good.

In 1986 a friend of mine bought a used 84, Maroon w/red interior, V6 and a manual trans. He had centerlines on his, the satin ones. Man I liked that car. He put headers and a holley on the V6 and actually had that thing running in the 16's (6800' above sea level).

I've always like that era of elco....
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                      nice car, I really like that tonneau cover. My dad's really into that genre of El Caminos and I give him nothing but grief about them.. of course none of them look anywhere near as good as yours.
                      Yep, when it comes to the car/truck deal seems like folks are either all for them or think they're just plain ridiculous. I was really disappointed when GM's plan to import the Aussie G8 Sport Truck went pear-shaped -- had the wife convinced it would be an ideal addition to the family motor pool (she wasn't fooled).

I frigged around for about three years playing with ideas for a tonneau cover...looked at the hard fiberglass option but the suckers are really expensive up here in Canada. Also checked out a couple of soft ones but they required drilling holes on the exterior side of the quarter panels below the bed rails. I wasn't into that.

Finally fabricated a light aluminum frame with some very thin plywood on top, used cut-down aluminum legs from an old IKEA table to get the right height, flush with the bed rails. It sits inside the bed and is secured with small stainless turnbuckles so it doesn't blow out on the highway. Then my man George Mahara at Blue Tent Upholstery here in Ottawa did a fabric top out of marine grade material -- he guaranteed me five years ago it wouldn't fade and it hasn't. The entire structure weighs less than 20 lbs and of course, being on the back half it's 'good' weight anyway. And it sits exactly flush with the top of the bed rails, can't stretch out of shape, and keeps anything in back out of sight. Mission accomplished!

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                        That is a beaut.....you done good.

In 1986 a friend of mine bought a used 84, Maroon w/red interior, V6 and a manual trans. He had centerlines on his, the satin ones. Man I liked that car. He put headers and a holley on the V6 and actually had that thing running in the 16's (6800' above sea level).

I've always like that era of elco....
                        Thanks Bamfster. Great cars you've got there yourself...and a fine looking pooch too. He doesn't eat car seats a la Turner and Hooch, does he?

Comment

Thanks for the info on the bed cover, I was wondering. It looks so "right" that you don't notice it...the way it should be. Very clean ride, nice and straight.

Comment

Choo-choo look?

I've never heard that particular turn-of-phrase........... I assume it's similar to being beaten with a JC whitney catalog?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Yeah, sort of, while simultaneously having all sorts of "ground effects" pieces hung off you.

Comment

Working...
                              X