No announcement yet.

CarTrailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next will be get rid of the Denali shell, also sell the 85 Suburban. I may paint the suburban first, though (and fill the holes in the roof).

point is eventually it gets done.

then the 64 wagon at the same time as the Corvette.... then the Fiat, then the 50 Buick, then I'll celebrate my 100th birthday
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

time to make some hinges

big bolts

and it hinges

today was spent doing things like this - bracing a butt weld

and moving the trailer to where I can flip it over

Comment

Time to see if I can get this over without squishing me
        first, time to put some safety chain loops on

Kinsey says I don't like what you're planning, I'm outta here

she's not dumb

nothing sketchy about this....

safe

this is the "work really hard to decide you're going to replace them"

it tilts

not shabby, the axle is about in the spot it would be with tires on it

now time to finish up the welding, build the fenders, paint it, then use it.... and wire it, of course.... hopefully I'll paint it Sunday. - that simply requires getting it ready to wire and the running boards/fenders put on... now to decide what color.... I honestly don't know

Comment

Life must be tough for you SBG, how do you get through without a functioning procrastinate gland?
          Last edited by 65RHDEER; July 18, 2018, 12:52 AM.
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

A tip I've been told by numerous people is to paint a trailer white or yellow. That way it "should" be visible in the dark, certainly alot more visible than if it was black or dark blue.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
              A tip I've been told by numerous people is to paint a trailer white or yellow. That way it "should" be visible in the dark, certainly alot more visible than if it was black or dark blue.
              It also won't be so hot to the touch - like mine is! That black is nasty in the sun.

Dan

Comment

Ours is black bedliner material....with led lighting.
                5 marker lamps on each side, 3 in the rear, and backup/taillights with a backup buzzer...the bedliner material is durable and slip resistant and hasn't faded/oxidized like the previous red paint...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thanks for the input. Dan, stop wearing your bikini when you're working on the trailer and you won't get burned... just sayin'

I'm leaning towards red - I know, nothing I own is red (at least I don't think so - I may have to review) but red is both visible but tends to hide bruises as well as black does. I won't paint anything yellow, yellow is for cowards
                  I've also thought about silver or grey but right now, rustoleum equipment red is the leading choice....

Comment

I'm stewing on what color to do my trailer. If I make the frame black and the fenders my teal color it'll match the racing colors and the teal fenders would take care of the worst of the parts that heat up in the sun. I've puzzled about pulling the deck boards before I get it sandblasted - probably the best plan though a lot of the tech screw heads are hidden down in the wood grain. Probably nothing a Saws-All can't fix.

Dan

Comment

I use star-drive, self-tapping deck screws (they're made for this) where you drill a 3/16 hole then drive the screw in... the benefit is drilling them out is pretty painless as the star, once stripped, becomes a great pilot hole

Comment

Dan, just did new boards on mine.. Most boards came apart with a jack or saw.. Then PB Blaster and vicegrips for the bolts/screws My daughter took most of them off, broke a few.. Boards need to be the length you have.. Slide in from front to back then scooch them back a bit to get under that piece up front..
                        Could have ground the welds holding that plate on but one side was welded in, other side was not.. Other trailer did not have the sides welded in at all..
                        Came with PINE boards. Put in Douglas Fir..

Comment

Ours doesn't have a wooden deck! Just the ramps and they are steel. That is why we decide to use the bed liner material throughout because it adds a cushion for the doors when you open them if they happen to touch the Fender! Also makes the whole works non skid, so we aren't burning rubber trying to get up the ramps. Steel painted ramps get really slick when wet!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Came with PINE boards. Put in Douglas Fir..
                            Mine came with pressure treated 2X8's and they really are in OK shape so it will be possible to reuse them if I can get them off without totaling them. Pretty sure mine were installed as SBG described - we call those star-headed self tappers "tech screws" which comes from my EPA days.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              Ours doesn't have a wooden deck! Just the ramps and they are steel. That is why we decide to use the bed liner material throughout because it adds a cushion for the doors when you open them if they happen to touch the Fender! Also makes the whole works non skid, so we aren't burning rubber trying to get up the ramps. Steel painted ramps get really slick when wet!
                              So does wood! Had a pair of 4X16 for a bit. Damn things too heavy and had to go in the truck..

Comment

Understood.... our "ramps" that the car rides on go all the way up to the double channel slot that the front wheels drop into and have a matching narrower set that hook onto the rear that are 5 feet long and REALLY Friggin heavy....about 3-3 1/2 feet of air space between the two main ramps...nuttin but cross members....
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X