No announcement yet.

CarTrailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the high lift jack holds up the front of the tilt, then you use that to lower it?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      So the high lift jack holds up the front of the tilt, then you use that to lower it?
      yep
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• y'all and your hydraulics. No

I already have compressors on my towing vehicles so why carry the extra weight and complexity of a hydraulic pump when one can simply bolt in an airlift bag? granted, I have to wade through a lot of engineering however, this is the solution for the tilt on my trailer. Light, simple, cost-effective (the 21-2 is $450 ea)

Comment

• Got take out cylinders from in ground hoists.. Supposedly illegal in Oregon.. Oil in groundwater contamination worries..
          They are oil filled, air operated cylinders.. One opened with 40# of air.. Just stuck the nozzle in the pipe..
          You could use a hydraulic cylinder and bleed air from one side to another or pump it..
          No weight of a hydraulic pump altho I think they might only be 15# max anymore..

Comment

• Air's compressability causes some complications when using it for positive motion control. Springy, when you might not want springy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
              Air's compressability causes some complications when using it for positive motion control. Springy, when you might not want springy.
              I'm pretty sure I know how an air bag works.... just sayin'

I know that sounds snarky, but I'd encourage you to read that link I posted as well, there are airbags that have 30,000 lb capacity that don't defect at 100 psi. there are trailers and semis who also ride on air..... making the trailer tilt on air is not even rare in the commercial world.

the only real issue is going to be if I don't put limit straps on the tilt portion.... then sure, I could burst a bag. That said, compression isn't the issue, rather, expansion.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 24, 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• I can totally understand the reasoning for using air, but bags don't have a lot of range...may I suggest cylinders?

OR, here's another solution with all the engineering figured out: https://premium-supply.com/products/...-tilt-deck-kit
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  read that link .
                  Actually, I am. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

• the air link has only 3" stroke. Airbags have 5-10" stroke

the other is a gravity system like I initially thought of doing but that means I have to power it up some way...

Comment

• Interesting, especially with the on -truck air compressor already at your disposal, which is also brilliant should you need to air up a tire, or give you the ability to run air tools should you need to change a tire. Well done indeed.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        the air link has only 3" stroke. Airbags have 5-10" stroke

the other is a gravity system like I initially thought of doing but that means I have to power it up some way...
                        If you look through the lists of available options on that link, there are several different ones that will stroke more than a " Big Ten Inch"
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Fortunately, all of the testing will cost zero dollars and zero cents. I have airbags that should do the trick.

Comment

• Okay
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• twice

Comment

• fixed it for ya
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X