CarTrailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarTrailer build

I debated just doing quick posts on another thread but I figure this might be helpful for others - so I'll make it findable - especially by making two words one.
    I bought steel for a trailer just before I traded my old trailer for some axles for my FJ40
    to say I got a deal would be an understatement, I could have made money hauling them to scrap (scrap was 300/ton at the time). I've tripped over them for several years, but the time has come to start
    the goal, a tilt, 6x16 trailer
    the steel

I bought axles off ebay for $700 for dual brake 5x5 axles. In Washington, both axles must have brakes (I presume working brakes, but I wouldn't know anything about that)

of course, ebay failed to not disappoint, but at least they told me they messed up and sent 5 on 4.5 drums. The correct drums will arrive in a couple weeks, that's fine, I have tires to move it around until them

bandsaw, with new blade, ready to go

some assembly required

eyeballing springs 98" to center of front axle. 195 overall bed length, 50" will be the tongue length. Using a 50" tongue length also gives me space for a cargo box

Doing it all wrong since 1966

cart before th horse I guess but...I am curious....wood floor?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

mostly wood, the steps and the approach will be diamond plate steel

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        mostly wood, the steps and the approach will be diamond plate steel
        I need a trailer for moving the motorcycles and for hauling away brush from the property. Been looking for a flat trailer to modify, would prefer something that dumped or rolled back...I'll be watching this project for ideas....
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          I need a trailer for moving the motorcycles and for hauling away brush from the property. Been looking for a flat trailer to modify, would prefer something that dumped or rolled back...I'll be watching this project for ideas....
          old pickup bed? if you can get around the hillbilly of a pickup bed, they do work really well for those tasks - especially if you make some sides to extend up from the stake pockets. chop the frame in front of the cab, bend the two frame rails to a point, weld on a hitch for the win. I have a 5x10 trailer that is my scrap/junk hauler... I wish it had sides (and it's on the list of things to do). A

Comment

I've considered them, I aint no uppity city feller. But, I do need to get the scooters around with relative ease and getting both into a pickup bed trailer could prove to be difficult. Mine weighs almost 1000 lbs, hers is about 700. Thing is, trailers are so fricken expensive here...I might start looking in El Paso, Vegas, San Diego to see if prices are lower. It would give me a reason to get the hell out of Tucson for a day or two.

Comment

Great project. I've often thought about building one but I had a few $$ some years back and just bought the one I have and it HAS been great. One set of brakes in all those years but it REALLY needs paint right now. Somethin' else to do.

Dan

Comment

hitch arrived today, so got it laid out

getting closer, the center between the axles is just under 60% of the length, 79" to the front hanger. The hitch length is roughly 50" from the front of the bed to the ball.

Comment

Great us of a sheetrock square!
                  You gonna weld up the ends of the tubes? Keep those pesky wasps out............
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

it's all C channel - no closed spaces

and had to move the frame...

easy

welded some cross braces in place

and then I ran out of wire

so I did some chopping and got some pieces ready to weld

Comment

Awesome build

Comment

Really, Really great build!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

axles in place. Interesting way someone else calculates this. I use the 60% rule, but this works too and it's within 1/2" of the other: length of bed/2 + the length of the trailer bed.... in this case, that puts the center of the axles at 113 1/2" with the springs 29 3/4 bolt center to bolt center

next up weld the tongue together then bolt it on.

Comment

More knotching

more kdrilling

more kwelding

believe it or not, I'm about to the point to turn it over.
                            - finish the hinge
                            - build the latch
                            - but the other stop in place (it now has stops that keep the hitch from sliding forward - so it doesn't rely on a hinge)

Comment

I had decided this was never going to happen. Glad to see I was wrong! Nice work and planning.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X