• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    fixed it for ya
    well we wouldn't want too inflate the post count too much
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• so I was asked to post when I got the hubcaps. I was at a swap meet today and bought some

I bought Ford ones because Fords get towed so well that it just made sense to put that DNA into my trailer

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I need two more of that style... the other side has these.

Comment

• While you're shipping Corvette brake sets off to guys in Hawaii, you can send those left-side hubcaps this way, need for Dad/Mom's '74 van (15" wheel). I bought painted ones from e-Bay but I watch for the correct bright ones here-and-there. If that's what they are, and...I mean...if yer gettin' rid of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FordHubCap.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	1217551(painted style)

After enough years of travel south of the border he decided he liked the look of fake spoke wheelcovers everywhere and joined in, around 1980. What Dads do sometimes...yech. I'm sure the nice originals ended up in the trash around '82.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
              While you're shipping Corvette brake sets off to guys in Hawaii, you can send those left-side hubcaps this way, need for Dad/Mom's '74 van (15" wheel). I bought painted ones from e-Bay but I watch for the correct bright ones here-and-there. If that's what they are, and...I mean...if yer gettin' rid of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FordHubCap.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	1217551(painted style)

After enough years of travel south of the border he decided he liked the look of fake spoke wheelcovers everywhere and joined in, around 1980. What Dads do sometimes...yech. I'm sure the nice originals ended up in the trash around '82.
              I appreciate the offer, but it's the style on the other side that I'd like to find. All jokes about Fords aside, I like the red/silver cap

Comment

• Yeh I got that, just saying I'm looking for the kind you don't want, if you were going to throw them out I'd buy 'em instead. That is, if they are the bright chrome-ish kind, not just painted, it's hard to tell from the pic. Bright ones were optional, silver paint standard back when.

Anyhow, just one of those things on the list of the top 25 things I periodically watch for. Not a priority.
                Last edited by Loren; October 8, 2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• they aren't painted.... I'll keep this in mind should I find another pair.

Comment

• soooooo... cleaning up projects that I have the parts for..... like the airbag tilt

first, this is the angle

well shoot, it's almost like I planned this (I didn't, actually, but I'll take lucky over good every time)

I'm going to make 36" ramps.... which I'd have had the material for except I built the water tray for my plasma.... well, I guess that balances lucky

which, if I was photocompetent would clearly show a 8* angle rather then the 13*

I know in the 4x4 world that's a 'who cares' and in that world you'd be right.... but I live in many worlds including one that is going to be hauling a Renault
                    so there we go. verbal diarrhea

compressed

one bolt through the top, two through the bottom.... 6000# bags

and it works. lifts, lowers - I think what I'll like the most is it can work as an anti-bang device... pull the valve stem when I'm wheeling and away we go

there it is, airbagged up

now to install the air compressors on my Colorado and/or Suburban (there's already one on the FJ40)

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      I think what I'll like the most is it can work as an anti-bang device...
                      Could always add a couple of shock absorbers too if it weren't enough...

That tilt is a handy feature, all kinds of stuff besides low cars load easier. As for low cars, there are times when not having the tilt would simply put you out of business there.

Story that has nothing to do with tilt: Big Bro parked his truck and trailer at the top of the downhill driveway and drove a car partway onto the back of the trailer whereapon the lifting effect on the hitch took enough weight off the back wheels of the tow vehicle, whose locked-in-park rear wheels were the only thing holding the whole deal on the hill, that the entire rig went sliding down the drive. Human nature caused him to try to follow along with the to-be-trailered vehicle which was of-course exactly the wrong thing to do. He made it all the way to the bottom where the truck finally ran into something.

I always stick a couple of wood blocks under the back of the trailer so it doesn't lift on the hitch. (Or chock some wheels of-course, or have a helper on the brakes) Without blocks available I once told a buddy who was driving a vehicle onto my trailer, sideways on a hill, that once he got going up those ramps "don't dally!" If anything starts sliding get onto the front of the trailer as soon as possible so it stops". Or, put it in reverse and back off if there's no chance and let me do it instead. Telling my brother that one after his little accident just got me a look like I was making it all up. I dunno, in my world that's how it works.
                      Last edited by Loren; December 31, 2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• I built the trailer with those 2x2 rails so that if I have to, I can dolly the car straight onto the trailer.

the air bag / banging deal is a bonus, I put the bags there to lift and maintain the tilt while loading vehicles (and stuff).

I am very tempted to remove the springs off the rear-most axle and use airbags there too - however, if I do that - the tire would be in the way of loading wider loads....

Comment

• Nice trailer! Have you given any thought to adding hydraulic lift ?!? LMAO

I can't wait to see the plasma run!
                          A.K.A. Brian
                          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
                            Nice trailer! Have you given any thought to adding hydraulic lift ?!? LMAO

I can't wait to see the plasma run!
                            No, but I've really been enjoying watching the short-bus-riders eating crow....

Comment

• Maybe this will unlock the thread for ya.

French Plastic?

Click image for larger version  Name:	large_classic-rene-bonnet-le-mans-cabriolet-roadster-1963-blue-for-sale-1-610x458.jpg Views:	24 Size:	94.7 KB ID:	1259645
                              Last edited by STINEY; January 9, 2020, 11:32 AM.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• That's - um - something. What kind of "something" is that?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X