No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice work you are doing on the wife's 40! I can relate to what you're doing. I ripped the body off mine in 2012 and began to rebuild it. It had hack city MII on it, they also hacked up the X member to put in a TH400, and a bunch of other hackery. So I boxed the frame and built a tubular X member for it. It still isn't finished. I really need to get on it this winter. I like the wider rear tires you went with, and I love the Project 40 look. A guy in California has that car and has put it to street use recently. I follow him on IG. That car is so bad ass. Haha

Comment

• Thanks Dieselwrencher!

I was working on the frame the other day and a friend of mine asked "Wouldn't a narrow tire be easier???" Yeah - but what fun is that!

I finished up the transmission mount so now it's time to make some room for the rear tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	1252929

Name:	
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	1252930

Admittedly I was dragging my feet knowing this was a big step. So I figured I'd repair some rough spots first.

Name:	
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1252931

Name:	
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1252932

I also needed to make some clearance with the body mount in front of the tire.

Name:	
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1252933

Name:	
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1252934

Then it was measure, check - measure again, check - measure again, check (this went on for a while).

Name:	
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	1252935

Finally I took the plunge! I'm committed now!

Name:	
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	1252942

Name:	
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	1252936

Name:	
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	1252937

I also wanted to retain the stock tank. Looking at my plan to box much of it, I needed a way to get to the front tank mounts. I used tubes with a hole in the bottom of the rail. I can now get a socket and bolt up to the mount. Looks like everything will fit OK?

Name:	
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	1252938

Plenty of clearance. The body goes over the outside of the frame a bit, so that will take up a little, but it will still have more than enough.

Name:	
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	1252939

Name:	
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	1252940

Name:	
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1252941

Other side out...Now I just need to work on boxing everything in...

Name:	
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	1252943
      Last edited by BFXJason; October 4, 2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
        Very nice work you are doing on the wife's 40! I can relate to what you're doing. I ripped the body off mine in 2012 and began to rebuild it. It had hack city MII on it, they also hacked up the X member to put in a TH400, and a bunch of other hackery. So I boxed the frame and built a tubular X member for it. It still isn't finished. I really need to get on it this winter. I like the wider rear tires you went with, and I love the Project 40 look. A guy in California has that car and has put it to street use recently. I follow him on IG. That car is so bad ass. Haha
        I'd like to see some pics of your '40 project if you get time to make some posts.

Thanks!

Comment

• I'm liking this a lot. Wish I had the frame dolly you are using. Seems to hold everything perfectly.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks! It took time to build but absolutely has been a big help!! I’m not sure what I’ll do with it when I’m done? Maybe someone else could put it to good use?

Comment

• Making a little progress...

Frame rails are "tacked in". Now it's just time to start boxing it all together starting with arts and crafts...hehehe

Name:	
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	1253650Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	1253651

Name:	
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1253652

Name:	
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	1253654

Name:	
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	1253655Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1253656

Name:	
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	1253653

Name:	
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	1253657
              Last edited by BFXJason; October 14, 2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Only us hot rodders would go to this much trouble to fit in big tires that we will then burn down to nothing. It's a sickness and I for one don't want the cure. Looking good - but where did you get that frame strength cardboard and the super tape?

Dan

Comment

• Ya - I just couldn't leave it alone...

It's hers but she has given me some liberties. It scares me when she says "I trust you" hehehe. She knows....

At some point I'll need to figure out where to put the line lock!

I'd love to tell you where I found the cardboard and tape, but I can't give away all my secrets! LOL!

Comment

• Burned some more wire over the weekend...now I just need to do the other side and finish welding everything up. Good thing I saved all the patterns...I think?

Started with the rear....

Name:	
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1254080

Name:	
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	1254081

Then moved to the front...

Name:	
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1254082

Name:	
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	1254083

Name:	
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1254084

Name:	
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	1254085

Name:	
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	1254086

Last edited by BFXJason; October 21, 2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• nice
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• coming along nicely - I really like the idea of setting the whole thing up in a "jig" first.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          coming along nicely - I really like the idea of setting the whole thing up in a "jig" first.
                          "straightened" a preran Town and Country wagon.. Eyeballed it. When I backed out of half in the door, found the right rear was in a flipping hole.. Thus the right side was droopy!

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            coming along nicely - I really like the idea of setting the whole thing up in a "jig" first.
                            Thanks! I decided the jig was necessary especially with all of the cutting and moving in the rails. It's been a big help. Hoping before Christmas to have it on the ground sitting on all (4) tires. Maybe even have the body back on?

Comment

• Looking really good.
                              Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 31, 2019, 06:29 PM.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks Ed!

Comment

Working...
                                X