1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

I know the "look" I wanted in regards to tires, wheels and stance, but getting it to work was a little more challenging than I thought.

After putting the fenders on and going through many tire/wheel combinations, I landed on these 15X4 wheels with 26X6.00R15LT Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R's. Even so, we had to "massage" the front fenders to make sure there were no clearance issues when turning.

All said and done, I'm happy with the results. More importantly - so is she!

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	597.4 KB
ID:	1213442Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	1213443Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1213444Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	827.0 KB
ID:	1213445
    Last edited by BFXJason; August 27, 2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

It looks like the new front track was a tad wider than would fit under the un-massaged body though I think it looks better as you have it set up. Neat to see this coming along. If I ever find a cheap Studebaker Coupe-Express pickup I can probably get away with building that for ME but they are scarce as hen's teeth and big $$ when you do find one.

Dan

Comment

Thank you,

Ya - it's partially the wheel offset, but mainly the ride height. If I raised it, there would be more than enough, but I wanted to make sure it was low. The hub to hub is actually a little less than stock.

Still need to lower the rear, but that's coming.

Good luck on your search. I was not looking when I found this one...but the internet can be dangerous! hehehe

Comment

The steering column is in place and hooked up to the rack. I'm a long way from installing it permanently, but I wanted to make sure everything cleared when it came time to mock up the engine and make mounts. Radiator is in as well.

Also found a good spot to mount the tach (and speedometer!)

Don't worry - I can come up with a better steering wheel!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	1213851
          Last edited by BFXJason; August 30, 2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I'm bouncing around a lot, but one of my friends had some time to help out, so we decided to tackle the rear trunk floor and roll pan. In doing so, we also needed to address the trunk lid that was "tweaked" at some point.

She wanted the license plate frenched - so we started there.

Name:	
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1215090

Obviously a lot of work to do here.

Name:	
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1215091

They only make a rear toll tray (that connects to the roll pan) for a coupe. The sedan's size and shape in this area is a bit different so we had to make some modifications to get it all to fit.

Name:	
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1215092

In the end I think it turned out great. Again, this will be a long process and eventually I will need to replace the entire floor / trunk area, but this is a good start. Need to finish the license plate and fill in all the other holes.

Name:	
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1215093Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1215094
            Last edited by BFXJason; September 11, 2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

looking good
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Nice!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thanks guys! I can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel but I know it's there!

Comment

Been busy doing little things until I can save up for more parts and have the time to tackle the big jobs.

Finished welding up the license plate pocket and filling holes in the trunk lid.

Name:	
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1216544

This was the wife's idea. We had the hole left from the radio and she asked if we could make it a tray for phones, glasses, etc. I made it a "little" bigger and fabbed up a pocket. She's pretty happy how it turned out...

Name:	
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1216545
                    Cut the firewall in prep for the engine. It's not any further back than the original indentation, just wider. By all my measurements, this should be enough, but the mock-up will determine that for sure.

Name:	
Size:	842.1 KB
ID:	1216546
                    Last edited by BFXJason; September 27, 2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

nice
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looks good! What wil you be using for power? I hope the old flat head finds a good home
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          Looks good! What wil you be using for power? I hope the old flat head finds a good home
                          Thanks!

Ya - the old flathead is already sold.

I have a few 302 Fords laying around so we will be building one of those. I want it to be reliable, low maintenance and able to drive anywhere so nothing too radical. Just a mild hydraulic roller, GT40 heads, and 4 barrel carb. It will end up with an AOD behind it.

The big plan is to get a small camper, hook it up to the '40 and take off on a road trip around the US. May be a few years out - but that's the goal. In the meantime, shooting to at least get it on the road by 2020.

I say all that, but I was online searching for a blower yesterday...thinking it would look awesome sticking through the hood!!!!!

Sometimes it's hard to stay focused!

Comment

I am a fan of the basic gt40 package, I have had a couple gt40p motors in foxbodies. Had one efi with a HO cam felt a little stronger on the top end than the stock motor. Down low I couldn't tell a difference. Had a carbed explorer motor in a 79 race only car with an E303, high rise dual plain, long tube headers. It was a fun little motor. I never did any suspension work on the car so 60' were terrible but it ran 103 in the quarter and 143 in the mile on it first full pass.

not a big fan of the AOD (rather have s T5) had one in a 93 GT conv. It had a shift kit but stock stall, 3.73 gears helped alot was gear around town but made it loud on the interstate. The 2.73 were sluggish with the tight converter but made a great freeway flyer.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

I want enough power to make it "fun", and those little engines are great as you pointed out.

I'm a clutch guy...my cars all have clutches - from the race car down. However, this will be hers, and she prefers the automatic. I'll just need to remember how to put one in!

I'm looking at a 3.50 or 3.70 gear and 28" tall tire. Hopefully that will give me the best of both worlds and work well pulling a trailer.

Now I just need to hide the hitch! hehehe

Comment

I geared Mary's coupe with a 3:50 behind a 347/w an AOD. I'm hoping that is a good combo. Haven't had it up to speed yet, but we'll see.
                                You and I seem to be blood brothers in this build.
                                Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 28, 2018, 07:09 PM.
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X