No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! It sounds like I'm on the right track with 3.70 gears and a 28" tall tire. Actually I already have the tires mounted up, so it's just a matter of gear and cam...

I have a '64 Falcon with a 289, Toploader, 4.11 gears and a 28" tall tire. It's making some noise at 70, but I don't run the highway a lot. Beside, the 289 seems to like it up there! The AOD, and a 3.70 should fit the bill for her and still give it plenty of low end....

Then again, I can't get that blower out of my head! That should solve the bottom end dilemma...hehehe

Comment

Started mocking up the engine this weekend. I'm sure many have gone through this before, now it my turn! hehe

I'm pretty happy with the location now it's just a matter of making everything fit - steering, oil filter, headers etc. then fabbing up the engine mounts. (I'm not should the wood mounts will hold up in the long run! hehehe

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1218199

Name:	
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	1218200Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	1218201

Name:	
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	1218202

Also got the rear tires and wheels out for a little "mock up". Wanted to giver her an idea of "the look"....

Name:	
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1218203

Name:	
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	1218204
      Last edited by BFXJason; October 15, 2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Another Ford in a Ford. Love it.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks Ed.

I appreciate all efforts, but I'm just a Ford guy at heart....I'm sure a lot of this looks familiar to you...
          Last edited by BFXJason; October 15, 2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Just replace the pine with oak and you'll be ready to roll!

Coming along nicely, for sure.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan!

See - that's what I love about this site - all the great advice! hehehehe

Thought I would see if stock Mustang headers might fit. I may be able to get them to work, but it looks like it may be more effort than it's worth. Gonna pick up some new headers from Summit and give 'em a try.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	223.2 KB ID:	1218349
              Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	188.6 KB ID:	1218350

The steering / engine mounts / headers will be a little challenge but not too bad. In the end I'm really happy with the position of the engine. May tip it back 1/2 deg or so but that's small stuff.
              Last edited by BFXJason; October 16, 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Hedman makes a "block hugger" header that a lot of the first gen falcon guys run - those might work well for this package, worth a look. This thing is taking shape really nicely! That front end went in much more smoothly than mine - it looks like you've done all this a few times before!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks! Actually - I just ordered these last night from Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...63-1/overview/
                  Hopefully they are here by the weekend and I can see how they fit. They look kinda close to the Hedmans? Also have the engine mounts on order and heard the rear suspension parts are on the way too! Anxious to get it all together.

Thank you for the kind words. I've done a few "back-halfs" and some other things. This is my first front end, but the Heidts kit made it pretty simple. I'm no "pro" by any stretch, but this is something I've enjoyed doing most of my life and I've also been very fortunate to be around people that are great mentors.

Thanks again!

Comment

Progress is always good! The headmans exit down and to the rear, the ones you ordered from summit are more traditional street rod exiting straight down in the center, depending on your cross member / engine mount set up, they may work, or may run right into the engine mounts

This is precisely why the "mock up" phase is so important. I didn't do enough of that building the falcon, and there are things I'd have done differently.

This car is going to be sweet, are you going to get it running and driving before paint?
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ya - it takes more time initially to mock things up, but it saves a lot in the long run. Sometimes though it's hard to buy parts LONG before you need them.

I don't plan on making anything permanent until I have everything figured out. Also keeping receipts and making sure I am careful with the parts just in case they don't work out. The good thing is Summit is only 10 minutes away. Unfortunately they did not have these headers in stock so they needed to be ordered from another location. I'll be sure to post how it all shakes out.

Yes - we plan to get the chassis and drivetrain completely done and drive it before final paint and interior. We'll fix a few things on the outside and get the interior started so it's functional and comfortable. So...it will have some primer and patina for a while...The main reason - cost (isn't it always). We are trying to do this on a budget but we really want to get it out on the road and enjoy it. During that time I figure we will work on it as we go. It will also let me work things out without worrying about scratching it up! hehehe

I just want to make it drive like a nice so we're spending money on those parts first. Kinda shooting to do the Power Tour in 2020, but we'll see...still lots to do (and spend) between now and then....

Thanks!

Comment

While I am waiting on parts, I broke out the "arts and crafts kit" to start the firewall. Before final welding and cutting I need to wait until the engine is permanently in place, but at least I'll have a head start.

Name:	
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1218635

Name:	
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1218636

Name:	
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	1218637

I was wanting to keep it as far forward as possible. It looks like I may need to fab a smaller "indent" above the bellhousing. No big deal - I just need to make it big enough to mount the original heater I hoping to use.

Name:	
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1218638

Digging around my metal "pile" I found a piece that will be perfect for the firewall! Score! (And she says I'm not organized! hehehehe)

Name:	
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1218639
                        Last edited by BFXJason; October 19, 2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Man I'm digging this project watching two of you building 40 fords for your wives is awesome. All I can say is there are two lucky ladies getting badass cars!!!
                          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

OK - so I gave into some "good spirited" peer pressure from some friends...

While I'm waiting on the engine mounts gone are the wood blocks in favor of a "hi-tech metal brace.

Name:	
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1219357

I also made the leap and tacked in the firewall. I think(?) it turned out pretty decent....there is plenty of clearance to the engine and access to bolts.

Name:	
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1219358

With the "pocket" in the middle there will also be room for kick-down etc. If we want to use the original heater, it looks like that will fit.

Name:	
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1219359

Not too bad...I can almost hear it run! hehehe

Name:	
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1219360

Sounds like I thought of everything....ooops!!!!...the dipstick tube for the trans! Oh well, a nice Lokar unit should fix that....

Name:	
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1219361

I also found this stamped in the upper part of the original firewall...need to do some research to see if there is a meaning?

Name:	
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1219362
                            Last edited by BFXJason; October 26, 2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

It's a good day! Just got some "goodies" from Chassis Engineering. They make some great stuff, and I use a lot of their parts on the race car. This car may never see the track but the rear suspension they came up will be top notch. It may be a while, but looking forward to starting that part of the project.

Name:	
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1219388
                              Last edited by BFXJason; October 26, 2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Not too much to update. Still waiting on the engine mounts (starting to wonder if I am picky or just stubborn?)

I started patching some spots and playing around with the rear wheel well. I have seen some cars with the "wider" rear fiberglass fenders available. I still may need to put some small tubs in (I found another idea for that) but I would be able to avoid notching the frame. This saves a lot of hassle. Now it just comes down to the "look". Probably order them soon so I can figure the direction.

Name:	
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1223726

In the meantime, I have some new floors to put in...

Name:	
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1223727
                                Last edited by BFXJason; December 7, 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X