1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Ed!

The loop is 6.5" below the frame, which will put it around 3" off the ground at "normal" ride height. It would also put the inside top around an 1" away from the top of the driveshaft. Little too close for me...

Comment

• Yeah, pretty close on both ends......
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• [QUOTE=BFXJason;n1248341

The loop is 6.5" below the frame, which will put it around 3" off the ground at "normal" ride height. It would also put the inside top around an 1" away from the top of the driveshaft. Little too close for me...
        [/QUOTE]

Whoo.. Pretty close. Even derby cars have more room.

Comment

• All good...we'll get it fixed up...working on bracing the mid section of the frame for now...then it's on to modifying the "X" brace and mounting the transmission...

Counting each as a little victory!

Comment

• Yep, you eat the elephant one bite at a time. Looking forward to watching your progress.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              Yep, you eat the elephant one bite at a time. Looking forward to watching your progress.
              I like that!

Gonna be in the upper 90's this weekend - hope to get out there but not quite sure yet??? We have been making hay between the rain...so fingers crossed!

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by BFXJason View Post

I like that!

Gonna be in the upper 90's this weekend - hope to get out there but not quite sure yet??? We have been making hay between the rain...so fingers crossed!

Thanks!
                Hay, that, I do not miss...
                Guy who does our hay loads our share onto the trailer with the tractor... (75# bales)
                He does the 1000-1500# big rolls mostly and small bales them in winter when sold.. Easier and faster weatherwise to do that.. $$$ in equipment...

Comment

• Ya - we are a small operation...just me, my wife, my cousin's boy (12yrs old), and a friend. Doing only small squares for horses (selling most). Brought in a little over 1750 so far...

It's hard work but takes me back to the earliest memories I have with my dad...doing hay in the summer time. I really don't mind it. When he passed, me and my wife kept it going. She grew up in the suburbs, but was a quick learner and can now run every piece of equipment. Heck - the other day she insisted on tedding the fields...then proceeded to tell me to go relax and drink a beer! (I actually went into the shop and worked on the '40...hehehe) She's a good woman...she deserves this build.

I like the idea of rounds into smaller bales...but that would require the equipment and room...

Another project for another day...hehehehe
                  Last edited by BFXJason; July 19, 2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• When I was messin' with horses horse hay was hard to come by and brought a premium price. Timothy and brogham.(sp?). Anyhow, it's hard to feed performance horses on hay that doesn't come off the bale in flakes (meaning square bales) so I hope you're getting the good price for it!

Dan

Comment

• Good looking project, nice job!
                      Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        When I was messin' with horses horse hay was hard to come by and brought a premium price. Timothy and brogham.(sp?). Anyhow, it's hard to feed performance horses on hay that doesn't come off the bale in flakes (meaning square bales) so I hope you're getting the good price for it!

Dan
                        Ya - this year has been tough since we are getting into the fields so late. Everyone around us is in the same boat though... We have 3 fields with a mix of orchard grass and timothy and three fields primarily timothy. Some like the mix for older horses. I've got good customers so I do my best to be fair on the price. I try not to gouge them.

Did manage to get out for a couple hours this weekend. For what we are doing, and from what I have read, the stock frame should be plenty strong. I thought about boxing it (and some of it will be) but all of the running board, and some body mounting locations, would require some type of nut welded inside the frame. Not hard, but time consuming and if one stripped out etc...

I wanted to make some improvements to the chassis so I came up with this idea. Should help strengthen it and I have access to all bolt holes except for 3 where the rear boxing plate is located. I also have room for a fuel line to run behind the bars keeping it inside the frame. Still need to finish welding it and do the passenger side, but I think it came out OK?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	210.5 KB ID:	1248559

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	233.2 KB ID:	1248560
                        Last edited by BFXJason; July 22, 2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                          Good looking project, nice job!
                          Thanks!

Comment

• Interesting how you added those pieces on the side rails.
                            Newer chevys have the X frame (68 and older) and have seen a few in the arena... Not too strong so most do not get derbied unlike the Ford in the background... Tough tough cars.

Comment

• Looks like it will add strength. Remember the Bell 47 made famous by M*A*S*H?

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                                Interesting how you added those pieces on the side rails.
                                Newer chevys have the X frame (68 and older) and have seen a few in the arena... Not too strong so most do not get derbied unlike the Ford in the background... Tough tough cars.
                                Ya - just trying to get the best of all world's! The Galaxie had a fully boxed frame that ran close to the rocker. The new frame will be similar...but more likely 2X3. (Obviously not intended for the derby - hehehe)

Comment

Working...
                                X