No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

After having several of my own toys, it's time for the wife to get her own. This one needs A LOT of work, but it will be a fun project.

All of mine have been "muscle cars", so this will be my first attempt at a "hot rod". I have found there are plenty of parts available, so that will be a big help. Honestly, I'm stoked about this one!

This is the day we brought it home...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1212041Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	1212042
    Last edited by BFXJason; August 15, 2018, 08:51 AM.

Cool, just when the other '40 Ford for 'his wife' was completed - we get a new '40 Ford build. Right on
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My favorite Furd!

There was a 40 coupe for sale locally that was 80% done. New paint, engine rebuild, suspension rebuild, just needs the dog house put on and some other odds and ends and the price was really good...wish I could afford it. It is light years ahead of my own project.

Looking forward to watching this project develop!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The car was sitting in a dirt floor garage since the mid 70's so you can only imagine what I found cleaning the inside! The floors look ok at first glance but they will need to be replaced. Someone had "fixed" them many years ago...possibly with a stick welder????

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1212059

At least the seats are in decent shape.....

Name:	
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1212060

Harley the dog approves....keeping an eye on me...

Name:	
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1212061
        Last edited by BFXJason; August 15, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys...I'm anxious to watch it progress too! hehehe

I'll post up some more updates soon....
          Last edited by BFXJason; August 15, 2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Here is the start of disassembly and planning...I remember as a kid I had posters on my bedroom wall of Jerry Moreland's '40 Ford. Not that I would build something that wild for the wife, but I always liked that look. We are going to upgrade the suspension and drivetrain to make it easy to drive, but pay a little homage to Moreland's hot rod.

The flathead was a later model 8BA engine...if this car could talk? It's gone now along with the old straight axle....

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	175.7 KB ID:	1212156
            Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	203.2 KB ID:	1212157
            Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	157.8 KB ID:	1212158

Name:	
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1212161
            Last edited by BFXJason; August 16, 2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I have a 50 Buick with plaid seat covers, and child-drawn tribal painting on it..... I really don't have any desire to hear what it has to say.... just sayin'
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ha! Good point!

Apparently at some point there were big plans for this car....just wonder what happened...???

We are shooting for 2020 to hit the road with it. As with all things time and money will dictate how it plays out. Now - when it hits the road we may not have things like a hood, side-windows, paint etc...but hey...as longs as it makes her happy....life is good!

Comment

Originally posted by BFXJason View Post
                  I remember as a kid I had posters on my bedroom wall of Jerry Moreland's '40 Ford. Not that I would build something that wild for the wife,
                  Why not....are ya chicken?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Well, let's say I could...but I already have a couple "crazy rides". She'd just wants to have something easy for her to cruise around. The plan at some point is to drive it across the US and back...

Comment

Originally posted by BFXJason View Post
                      Well, let's say I could...but I already have a couple "crazy rides". She'd just wants to have something easy for her to cruise around. The plan at some point is to drive it across the US and back...
                      I'm sure you could... Noticed a fat tired 63-4 Galaxie in one of the pics in the background.
                      Funny enough most derby guys build mild for their wife/daughter to drive..my daughter drives her brother's rejects..ie: smaller cammed and little less compression..

Comment

This is gonna be good!
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The '64 Galaxie is my first car...I bought it when I was 12. Fixed it up and drove it through high school. It had a 390/C6 combo, and for a high school kid it was A LOT of fun. After I graduated I decided to take it to the next level. I tore it completely apart, down to the bare frame. Of course there are many stories that start off the same way. It was a LONG time ago, but I do work on it here and there. I have a vision, but it will be a BIG project.

Here is a picture from the high school days...

Here is what it looks like now...

I could start another build thread on it, but I don't know if the internet will be around by the time it's done! hehehehe
                          Last edited by BFXJason; August 20, 2018, 05:51 AM.

Comment

The Heidts front end should be a big improvement over the old! This has the narrow a-arms and 2" drop spindle with a power rack.

Name:	
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	1212565Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1212566Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	1212567
                            Last edited by BFXJason; August 20, 2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

This thread is sure bringing back some memories!.........looks great so far.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X