No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my 71 torino I have what jegs calls their 5.0 HO roller cam motor with a holey 600cfm carb AOD trans and 3:55 limited slip 8"rearend I'm running 255/60/15 all the way around. I drove the car for 2yrs with this combo with no problems and it was good in town as well as on the highway got good gas mileage and would turn the tires over pretty good for showing off. Good luck with your project it's looking good.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
      I geared Mary's coupe with a 3:50 behind a 347/w an AOD. I'm hoping that is a good combo. Haven't had it up to speed yet, but we'll see.
      You and I seem to be blood brothers in this build.
      Very cool! What size tire are you running? Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
        In my 71 torino I have what jegs calls their 5.0 HO roller cam motor with a holey 600cfm carb AOD trans and 3:55 limited slip 8"rearend I'm running 255/60/15 all the way around. I drove the car for 2yrs with this combo with no problems and it was good in town as well as on the highway got good gas mileage and would turn the tires over pretty good for showing off. Good luck with your project it's looking good.
        Sounds like I'm on the right track then. I'm looking at the Motorsport "E" cam just to give it a little more lope and grunt. A 255/60R15 is a little shorter than what I pan to run (28X12.00R15), so I'm thinking a 3.70 would be just about right....

Thanks for the kind words. Doing a lot of research trying to apply some cool features. Really trying to make this a cool all-around driver that she enjoys. She keeps throwing out colors like "purple & pink"...obviously she like harassing me....at least I hope she is! hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by BFXJason View Post

Very cool! What size tire are you running? Any pics?
          Check here if you have not already:

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Awesome! Thanks!

Very cool ride! I like the green...she was wanting something similar..at some point...

Since my next task is mocking up the engine, anyone have any advice or preference on engine mounts? I have some that came with the Heidt's kit, but not sure they will set the engine back far enough?

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Jason, I'm starting with a staggered setup.........205/50 17s on a 7-inch wheel up front and 255/40 18s on an 8-inch wheel in the rear.
              Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 1, 2018, 07:06 PM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks! Sounds like a cool set-up. Anxious to hear what you think.

If I can ask - what engine mounts did you use?

Thanks again!

Comment

They came from Chassis Engineering.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Awesome! Thank you!

Comment

Sometimes opportunities pop up you have to jump on...much like this project.

I came across some parts on the internet that we didn't really need at this point, but will in the future. They were sold as a "lot", so there are some things we won't use, but the price was right on everything. The great part is they were only 1/2 hour away.

I had a hood, but this one is in much better shape and came with all the trim. Also got some running boards, rear fenders and a good trunk lid we'll use. I'll have to cut out the frenched in plate, but overall that will be less work than fixing the trunk lid we have now. The rear fenders are a little rough, but the good parts on these are bad on the pair I have - so I'll take all four and make two good ones.

Got some more that I'll hang on to until I'm sure I won't need them. All in all, I feel good about the find.

Here is the hood...I like the patina....

Last edited by BFXJason; October 10, 2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Looks like you found a good deal!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The patina will be perfect once you paint it!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                              Ya - we've been talking about colors....but I think for a while the budget will only allow us to drive it "as is"...once the chassis and drivetrain are updated of course

Comment

I have the x303 in the falcon, Marco is running the B303 in his wagon.... I can't for the life of me find a sound bite of the cars idling with either of those cams.

I have small tires on the falcon 215 60 15 as I recall, with the 4.10 gears and the AOD, it runs 2500-2700 at highway speed.

This car has ALOT more room in the rear wheel wells than the falcon, so you should have no issues with RPM at highway speed.

I have an excel sheet I put together that calculates engine speed based on wheel speed, if you have excel I could email it to you.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X